Anyone else have a caliper bracket bolt break on them? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have a caliper bracket bolt break on them?

H.O. Driver
11-18-2005, 02:12 PM
I was doing 70 down the highway then !!SNAP!! and the rear end of the car started to wobble all crazy, pulled over and the one of the bolts that holds on the brake caliper bracket is now in two peices and the inside of my 077 is all funked up.

I know people have had problems with them falling out since they didn't tightent them, but has anyone had one break? I have been looking at autoparts stores trying to find a replacement, since the dealer wasn't sure, and all of the people I have talked to look at me like I am stupid and then ask, who did that happen?

O'well, nothing too serious, I was able to get off the road safely and to a parking lot with no damaged other than what happened at the accuring time, so now my car is on jack stands in a Burger King parking lot. fun fun

SikMindz
11-18-2005, 02:13 PM
Never had it break on me, but when I was changing my **** last week they were on there ****in' tight. I felt like I was goign to break them off when I was trying to loosen them. Stupid air tools.

pyro
11-18-2005, 02:20 PM
i just "wanted to see" a caliper kit at discount and coincidentally enough, one of the bolts went missing that same day:whistle:

Joker694
11-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Never had it break on me, but when I was changing my **** last week they were on there ****in' tight. I felt like I was goign to break them off when I was trying to loosen them. Stupid air tools.

Did you put them on? The dealer put loc-tight on my GF's bolts and I broke a socket adapter trying to take them off, not knowing they put it on. And I stripped the crap out of the bolt

SikMindz
11-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Did you put them on? The dealer put loc-tight on my GF's bolts and I broke a socket adapter trying to take them off, not knowing they put it on. And I stripped the crap out of the bolt

Nah...whoever changed them last (cant remember who I had do them last time) used airtools. We broek 2 1/8" to 1/4" adapters trying to loosen them.

tenspeed
11-18-2005, 05:11 PM
I hope you meant 3/8 to quarter. Use a boxed end wrench to break things free if you can. The rachet handles will break if you give them too much torque.

digitalballz
11-18-2005, 05:11 PM
I always use my air ratchet when doing brake jobs. I broke a caliper bolt today on a 94 town car. No biggie just call the local parts store, and order a new one. customer pays so what do I care.

H.O. Driver
11-18-2005, 05:13 PM
you are supposed to put lock tight on the bolts when you put them on, I was able to find one at a local dealership and was able to get it on, but when I went back to put the caliper back on, the piston was no longer in the caliper, so it was towed to a local shop as it awaits a new caliper and a full brake system clense, new fluid and power bleed.

I have to admit though, the car looked dead sexy being towed :-/

XDRKMANX
11-24-2005, 06:20 PM
GM service manual says the bolts shouldn't be re-installed, but replaced with new ones when taken out.

AaronGAGT
11-24-2005, 06:35 PM
GM service manual says the bolts shouldn't be re-installed, but replaced with new ones when taken out.

of course it says that. They need to make as much money as they can.

digitalballz
11-24-2005, 06:41 PM
exactly. The set (2) I put on the town car cost $22.00. I aint spendind $22.00 extra every time I do a brake job.

H.O. Driver
11-24-2005, 09:24 PM
True, if you take it to a dealer, for a customer at the dealer its $22.95 per bolt and if you just go in a buy one from service its $9.99 per bolt :) Lock tight works well on them, the new bolts come with lock tight already on them.

digitalballz
11-25-2005, 05:28 PM
waste of money!!!