New pulley...car is jerky... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New pulley...car is jerky...

TulaneGT
11-19-2005, 09:06 AM
I just replaced my stock crank pulley with an underdrive one from FFP. Now the car is very jerky during acceleration and during cruising. Not constantly, but quite frequently. Also, during wide open throttle it has an INCREDIBLY difficult time getting past 4K RPM's in 3rd gear...

Everything under the hood seems to be ok visually...any suggestions?

Also, I have no SES light now, but I did at first.

atc3434
11-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Sounds like you got the timing ring screwed up. Search, a lot of people have had this problem. Hopefully somebody else thats delt with this will chime in too. My money is that the timing ring isn't set right, or something to that effect.

LukeD
11-19-2005, 10:58 AM
How did you install it? Impact gun or by hand. Take it off and check the reluctor ring and I have heard before that one of the slots on the ring needs to line up with the keyway on the pully but I have not confirmed this. I have this problem too and will be trying a couple things next weekend to get it fixed. I'll keep you updated.

TulaneGT
11-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Installed by hand...I could have sworn the FFP directions said it didn't matter how you lined up the sensor ring, as they were all equally spaced gaps...

TulaneGT
11-24-2005, 07:00 PM
Took it back off, re-aligned the ring window to match up to the keyway as I've heard to do. No more jerkiness...but a serious lack of power, and the SES light is back. I got beat by a 2.4L GASE...that's not supposed to happen...

LukeD
11-29-2005, 12:38 AM
Go get the code read, you probably need a CASE learn now.

Here is how I fixed my problem.... Here is how I fixed my problem... (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57870)

TulaneGT
11-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Sounds like the CASE learn didn't work for you...why do you think it will work for me?

(Not being sarcastic...extremely curious and trying to get this fixed ASAP.)

TulaneGT
11-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Went and got the code read today at AutoZone:

P0336, Crankshaft Position Sensor A CKT Range/PERF

Anybody know if a CASE learn will fix this or if I need to get the new sensor like Luke did?

NorKoastal
11-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Your sensor might have gotten damaged.... It happened to myself and Luke... Also make sure you file down the keyway notch a little.. Excessive buildup may prevent the pulley from correctly seating itself to the crankshaft... The ring should be wherever the stocker was... The Case learn wil most likely only help if the ring is seated properly...

TulaneGT
12-05-2005, 11:21 AM
Is the CASE learn the same thing as a crank sensor relearn??

LukeD
12-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Is the CASE learn the same thing as a crank sensor relearn??

Yes they are the same. I figured you needed a CASE learn because you threw a code, where I did not. My first guess would be that you just need a CASE learn and that's it, but now that I think of it, I would suggest, if you have the time, just pull the pulley off again, make sure the reluctor ring hasn't come loose, and make sure the crank position sensor looks ok. It looks like a little brake pad-shaped thing about an inch or so in size (when you see it you'll know what I mean). Once you have the pulley off, file those screws down a bit like I did.

You can always try the case learn first but had I tried that first it would have been just a waste of $50 or so. It's up to you though, the difference between our problems is that you actually threw a code whereas I didn't.

hova82
12-06-2005, 01:17 AM
Sounds like a lot of work for nothing.

LukeD
12-06-2005, 01:24 AM

Some people have had no problems with it going on, some people like myself don't quite get it right the first time. I really am glad I have it though, now that it's working correctly. A good amount of bang for your buck.

TulaneGT
12-06-2005, 07:54 AM

Not nothing...at the very least I'm learning.

TulaneGT
12-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Went to the dealership today, and confirmed my worst fear. My car wouldn't take the CASE learn, so I can only assume that the sensor itself must be bad. I picked up a new one, and it looks like I'll be taking the pulley off AGAIN to replace the sensor. Any tips or things I need to know before doing this??

LukeD
12-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Just follow the thread I posted in post #6. I'm guessing you may have the same problem I did. If you have any more questions, I'd be glad to answer them. Maybe start your project early in the morning so by the time you have your pulley off you can see if the crank position sensor needs to be replaced. If it does it will still be early enough to run over to Autozone or wherever and order it (cause they most likely wont have it in stock, I know cause I tried at least 20 places by phone) and usually they can have it in their store by noon the same day or at least faster. I hope all goes well. :thumbs:

TulaneGT
12-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Oh I already picked up the sensor, got that covered...

LukeD
12-08-2005, 05:23 PM
cool. let us know how it goes

TulaneGT
12-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Well I took it apart again yesterday, to find that the crank sensor was broken in half. When I took it off the first time, it looks like the bolts from the puller went all the way through the pulley and cracked the crank sensor in half. So I replaced that with the new one, and put everything back together. Went to AutoZone and had the SES light cleared, and drove around for a while. The car seems to be running great, maybe even faster than before...but the SES light came back after a little driving. I'm assuming it's the crank sensor light again, but I'll take it to AutoZone and get it read again. What now, another CASE learn? That might just be another $50-$80 down the drain....

Pontiac Ninja
12-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Well I took it apart again yesterday, to find that the crank sensor was broken in half. When I took it off the first time, it looks like the bolts from the puller went all the way through the pulley and cracked the crank sensor in half. So I replaced that with the new one, and put everything back together. Went to AutoZone and had the SES light cleared, and drove around for a while. The car seems to be running great, maybe even faster than before...but the SES light came back after a little driving. I'm assuming it's the crank sensor light again, but I'll take it to AutoZone and get it read again. What now, another CASE learn? That might just be another $50-$80 down the drain....

I'm rooting for ya man, you've been through alot!! SOunds like another case learn is in order sense you through the code AGAIN and nw you know for sure now that your sensor is good.

TulaneGT
12-10-2005, 01:56 PM
You can say that again...this underdrive pulley has cost me a total of like $300 so far....

LukeD
12-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Hmm I don't know if anyone with a Power Tuner lives near you, but those things do case learns. It's a 1 minute procedure so maybe if you take it back to the place you had them do it before they might do it for free, or try to talk directly to a mechanic. Sometimes, just sometimes you can find one that will do it for free.