Switched to synthetic, BUT Should I stay? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Switched to synthetic, BUT Should I stay?

eBandit
11-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Ok, about 2 months ago or so I switched to sythetic oil, before that I had only done one other oil change since I had the car so I don't know what was used before hand. Since then I have read alot about doing this and I don't like all of what I have read.

Since I switched to Castrol Syntec 5w30 I have drove about 3,000 miles with no problems at all with the car. I now have almost 90,000 miles on it and since I switched I've read some bad stuff about switching after you allready have higher miles (a bit over 86,000 in my case, but I don't know what was used before I got the car)

SO, should I stay with the synthetic when I change it next week or should I just go back to regular or high mileage oil and play it safe- even though I haven't had any trouble since the change.

Any info would be great! Thanks,

ViperGTSR
11-20-2005, 10:52 PM
where did u read bad things? stay with it unless for some reason u get lots of blow-by. you can get high-mileage synthetic cant you?

Ajaxus
11-20-2005, 10:56 PM
alex, i think ive heard similar things like what he's saying. from what ive read and heard apparently if you use one type of oil since you buy the car (either pure, blended, or completely synthetic) you should stick with it for the life of the car and not switch over to another type. course i dont know much more than this, mike is on and seems to know a bit more about these things so hopefully he replies to shed some light on the subject.

Mike Jung
11-20-2005, 11:12 PM
...Since I switched to Castrol Syntec 5w30 I have drove about 3,000 miles with no problems at all with the car. I now have almost 90,000 miles on it and since I switched I've read some bad stuff about switching after you allready have higher miles (a bit over 86,000 in my case, but I don't know what was used before I got the car)

SO, should I stay with the synthetic when I change it next week or should I just go back to regular or high mileage oil and play it safe- even though I haven't had any trouble since the change.

Any info would be great! Thanks,
IMO:

Skip the high mileage oils.
They usually have gasket swollen additives to them (IMO, is not good unless needed).

Castrol Syntec 5W30 is NOT real synthetic motor oil, IMO.
So no worries about it doing anything bad to your engine.

Any made in the US, Castrol Syntec motor oil is not made with mostly PAO (or Esters) base oils; which is what was traditional/originally considered synthetic.
It is a dino based hydro-cracked motor oil, that uses mostly Group III type base oil.
It might be a good oil; very pure, with all the impurities removed from it.
But it is not the same as PAO (or Ester) based synthetic motor oils; Group IV & V based type oils.
But close in some respects.
In some European countries it is not considered real synthetic or it is give it's own category.

See: Synthetic motor oil gets all new semantics. (http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=27&article_id=3631)

My Suggestion, if you want a real synthetic motor oil:
If you prefer Castrol:
Get Made in Germany - Castrol Syntec 0W30 PAO (with Ester blended) base into it synthetic motor oil.
That is only available in some Autozones.

Or use Mobil 1 that is a PAO based synthetic motor oil.

PS: I am alittle biased. I like synthetic motor oils.
So I would suggest switching to synthetic motor oil; unless you have leaks.
1st time using a PAO based synthetic motor oil, don't run it past 3K miles (it will clean your engine out a little).
But later you can, if you wish/want to.

PSS: I just switched my Mom's 'new' (used) Sunfire GT to Mobil 1 (& then later to German Castrol Syntec 0W30) (I had a few bottles left of Mobil 1 in the basement from previous sales to use up) at 110K km/ 68K miles.
It previously used dino oil (my buddy previously owned it).

ViperGTSR
11-21-2005, 12:29 PM
mike you should be a spokesman for GC

mshu7
11-21-2005, 08:58 PM
If you think he's crazy about some GC, you should check out: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?

I'm making the switch from M1 to GC at my next oil change.

Mike Jung
11-21-2005, 09:08 PM
If you think he's crazy about some GC, you should check out: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?

I'm making the switch from M1 to GC at my next oil change.
Yup, that is where I heard about GC.

Good thing for Patman trying-out GC for us, eh.

Been lurking over at BITOG for a few years.
My SN over there is 99 GASE2.

eBandit
11-21-2005, 09:28 PM
I don't have any leaks, but is synthetic prone to leaking easier? Will I develop leaks sooner? I assume my LIM gasket was allready done before I bought the car because I havent had any trouble, will this switch affect that at all?

Mike Jung
11-21-2005, 10:33 PM
Yes, synthetic motor oil is prone to leaking easier than dino oil.
Synthetic oil flows better than dino.

But it does not directly cause oil leaks.

It there is already a leak; synthetic oil will leak more through it.
If the gaskets are in bad shape, synthetic motor oil will find those holes to leak through.

If a gasket is in bad shape & there is crud in it, sealing it.
Synthetic oil could possibly clean out the crud, & begin leaking.

If it leaks using synthetic, then go back to using dino oil.
(& maybe fix what is causing the leak.)

eBandit
11-21-2005, 11:03 PM
If it hasnt started any leaks after 3000 miles of sythetic, will I probably be ok, or will the next oil change be the one to let me know if it will start to leak (since it still has the first synthetic oil in it now)?

mshu7
11-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Yup, that is where I heard about GC.

Good thing for Patman trying-out GC for us, eh.

Been lurking over at BITOG for a few years.
My SN over there is 99 GASE2.

Yeah, no doubt. I just started getting into the GC stuff a couple months ago. I've actually been able to snag 31 qts. of the green stuff over the past 3 weeks. Although, it's looking like gold is doing pretty good too.

I've only been over at BITOG for probably less than a year. My SN is the same over there as it is here. I don't post a ton, but I'm reading everything on there all the time. I'll keep an eye out for ya!

It's always good to "meet" fellow BITOG'ers on other boards :cheers:

JHawk GT
11-22-2005, 10:48 AM
If it hasnt started any leaks after 3000 miles of sythetic, will I probably be ok, or will the next oil change be the one to let me know if it will start to leak (since it still has the first synthetic oil in it now)?

Like Mike said, the oil youíre using now isnít a true synthetic because itís a group III oil. If it does start to leak with the Castrol, I donít know that Iíd necessarily blame it on the oil.

In one of my other cars I switched to a true synthetic, M1 supersyn, at ~60K miles and it hasnít leaked yetógoing on 90K miles now. I had been using what I thought was synthetic before but it was only a group III oil as well.