How do I replace the battery terminal on the GA? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How do I replace the battery terminal on the GA?

GRocks10
11-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Hi everyone,

This is pretty much a straight forward question and I believe shouldn't be hard at all to do.. I am going through the usual maintenace of my car by replacing the battery with a new one right now.. basically, I already replaced the battery but I realized that the positive terminal has been eaten by corrosion very badly and it actually broke the terminal seperating the peice as a whole.. so when I start the car with it installed like that, the car shuts off minutes after because its not getting the proper juice from this problem.. I am about 98 % certain it just needs to be replaced the positive terminal and I know I can go ahead and buy this peice at the local auto store since its universal. Heres the question..

How do I replace the battery terminal? I read somewhere that I need to strip the peice and get the new one and attach it.. but how does it work? Anyone have pictures step by step or can explain in more detail?

It looks pretty straight forward.. I'm guessing I just unhook the peice that holds the terminal to the battery cable.. put the new peice and hook it back? Just an easy replacement or will I need some glue or something to hold it?

Thanks so much! I'd like to get this done before it becomes dark out.. so I will await your response. :)

freakydeaky
11-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Replacing Battery Cables (http://www.acdelco.com/html/rp_bat_cables.htm)

GRocks10
11-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey,

Thanks alot for the link but I'm not looking to take the battery to an AC Delco retailer to have them give me new cables.. I was looking more on the line on how to just remove the end tips of the terminal on the positive side from the cable and add a new fresh one to replace since the current one has corrosion built up and broke. I need to figure out if I can just undo the tip and replace it with the new one? Will I need glue to keep it hold or does it just clip right on?

Any pics would be great.. I really believe this is an easy process.. worse comes to worse, I go and have the car towed over to Firestone and have them replace it for like $13 bucks.. but I'd rather save the money and do it myself for something that is simple to do and not have the hassle of getting a tow truck out here to tow it. I could always just buy a new cable with the tips and take the bad one out and replace the whole thing.. would only imagine I need to follow where it ends and disconnect it and re-connect. Please advise anyone if this sounds about right.. WOULD REALLY like to just replace the end tips.. this is what I'm going for.

Thank you!

freakydeaky
11-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Disconnect both cables as explained. To install the replacement, cut the cable wire close to the old terminal with a hacksaw.
Strip 1 inch of insulation from the wire. (If the wire is corroded, cut it back even farther but make sure the cable can still reach the battery; otherwise, replace the cable.) Loosen the strap screws on the terminal, insert the bared wire end under the retainer, then retighten the screws.

GRocks10
11-22-2005, 01:40 PM
Do I HAVE to use a hacksaw? Can I use a scissor but a really good one? Made for auto repair stuff.. let me know.

Thank you very much. :)

freakydeaky
11-22-2005, 02:25 PM
i guess it depends on the scissors.....

tenspeed
11-22-2005, 05:08 PM
Do I HAVE to use a hacksaw? Can I use a scissor but a really good one? Made for auto repair stuff.. let me know.

Thank you very much. :)

You might try a tool called a wire cutter. The cable doesn't care what you use.

GRocks10
11-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Got it fixed.. thanks. Now, I need a fuel pressure regulator. Bad gas milage plus car hesitation and fuel coming out of the regulator means = bad bad bad.. damn. More money to spend.. but I love this car. Its like having a girlfriend/wife.. as much as you love it.. you still gotta spend money. damn