Clicking Shifter in Park. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Clicking Shifter in Park.

KrustyTC
11-21-2005, 08:05 PM
I just noticed tonight that when the car is in park and I put my foot on the brake I get a clicking noise coming from the shifter area. Is this the safety that won't let you put the car in gear unless the brake pedal is pressed? It's the first time I've heard it since we've owned the car (2000 Grand Am GT).

I've replaced the stock shift knob with a chrome/carbon fiber one. Should that make any difference?

I don't think It's anything to worry about but wanted to see what you all thought.

thanks,
KrustyTC

digitalballz
11-21-2005, 09:01 PM
probly just the saftey device.

KrustyTC
11-22-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm figuring the same thing. If I move the shifter around I can get it to stop doing it. Plus I can feel it click if I have my hand on the console. I'll pull the cover this weekend and get in there with some silicone grease and see if I can smooth things out a little.

It's getting colder here in MA, that might have something to do with why it's doing it now and didn't do it all summer or fall.

thanks,
KrustyTC

redramair01
11-22-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm figuring the same thing. If I move the shifter around I can get it to stop doing it. Plus I can feel it click if I have my hand on the console. I'll pull the cover this weekend and get in there with some silicone grease and see if I can smooth things out a little.

It's getting colder here in MA, that might have something to do with why it's doing it now and didn't do it all summer or fall.

thanks,
KrustyTC

Its the shift lock solenoid, its a safety feature to keep the car in park incase of accidently bumping into the shift lever.

bigbenSC
11-22-2005, 08:26 PM
^ Exactly

mightypan42
11-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Turn up the volume on your radio. You won't hear the clicking sound ever again. :D :thumbs: