Winter Prep - What To Do? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Winter Prep - What To Do?

Infernall
11-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Hey folks,

Its Nov 24th, and in parts of Canada we have a few inches of snow. I am actually just across the river from Detroit, MI and we're sitting at -8C, or -18C with windchill.

This morning my doors were frozen shut. I would like to avoid this at all costs, as I am no fan of chipping away at the doors to get them opened. I know I can grease the door and trunk seals, but what should I grease them with?

My 2001 GA SE2 has a heater plug on it. Last season I plugged it in in mid winter, and didn't notice any change in the time my car took to warm up. What is the plugged in heater actually warming? Is it an engine block heater, or does it heat up the coolant? My car usually gets about 5 minutes to warm up in the morning before I head to the office.

If anyone can recommend any other fun winter maintenance items, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

Slim
11-24-2005, 12:27 PM
To prevent the doors from freezing shut, use a good silicone based weather strip spray.

As far as the block heater goes, it sits inside the block in one of the main water jackets. It heats up the coolant. Mine worked like a charm last year. Car fired up instantly and was blowing warmish air withing 90 seconds.

You don't need to do much to these cars to prep them for winter. I've had mine since 2002 and it's run like a champ every winter since without anything special done.

Just let it warm up for about 60 - 90 seconds before you drive away. That's about it.

Infernall
11-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Last winter, even with the heater plugged in, It still took a solid 5 minutes before I would get warm air. Once its been warmed up it works great.

Slim
11-24-2005, 02:30 PM
Last winter, even with the heater plugged in, It still took a solid 5 minutes before I would get warm air. Once its been warmed up it works great.

Then your block heater isn't working. If it's been plugged in, even for an hour, it will make the car heat up fairly quickly. After you plug it in, wait for a couple minutes. You should hear a noise which sounds like an electrice kettle heating up coming from under your hood. If you don't hear that, it's not working.