GAGT1 2001 emergency brake [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : GAGT1 2001 emergency brake

Carlitoboy
11-25-2005, 05:33 PM
:hammer: There has got to be a DIY was to adjust the parking brake. I know this topic has been brought out a million times but all the posts don't actually tell you HOW TO really do it. Basically, if I bring it to the dealer how do they do it?

Cheers!
Carlito

pyro
11-25-2005, 05:37 PM
im not sure, but a great guide that you can get at almost all autoparts stores is a Haynes Guide. $15

Blackrider
11-25-2005, 05:48 PM
:hammer: There has got to be a DIY was to adjust the parking brake. I know this topic has been brought out a million times but all the posts don't actually tell you HOW TO really do it. Basically, if I bring it to the dealer how do they do it?

Cheers!
Carlito
If it wont auto adjust you need to pop off the rear rotors and adjust it using the star adjustor. Itís really easy, but ensure you clean off the assembly with break clean before you start. It will make it much easier.

Carlitoboy
11-25-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks blackrider!

Is the star adjuster easily seen when the rotor is removed? Which side? Or is it done on both sides?

I'm assuming the auto adjust is when you yank on the parking brake like 7 times, up and down. Some one told me that technique is a myth...

Pyro, it seems haynes does not carry a repair manual for the 2001 Grand Am.

Blackrider
11-25-2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks blackrider!

Is the star adjuster easily seen when the rotor is removed? Which side? Or is it done on both sides?

I'm assuming the auto adjust is when you yank on the parking brake like 7 times, up and down. Some one told me that technique is a myth...

Pyro, it seems haynes does not carry a repair manual for the 2001 Grand Am.
yeah its easy to see, its on both sides.

nbod
11-26-2005, 05:05 PM
carlioboy, the manual should say grand am/malibu/alero, if I'm not mistaken. Its cover should have a white malibu.