Battery dies after few days [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Battery dies after few days

Hodge
11-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Alright, this is the second time i've let my car sit for like 3-5 days before trying to go out and start it and it's completely dead. I have an alarm system, amp and subs, and a headunit. Do you think one of those three are causing the battery to die? A battery shouldn't just die after a few days... there would have be something sucking the juice correct?

I'm thinking to take it in to a shop and have them figure it out. what do you guys think is the problem and what should i do?

punkassdrummer
11-27-2005, 12:48 PM
if your amp's 'remote' input (from the deck) is not wired from your deck, but to a constant 12V supply, it will kill the battery. if your amp has a power indicator light on it, turn your car off, and make sure the indicator light shuts off. if not, the amp is wired up wrong, and is constantly drawing power from your battery, even after the car and stereo are turned off.

if you're using an aftermarket deck, it should have a 'power antenna' or 'remote' wire (usually blue). that's the wire that should be connected to the 'remote' terminal on your amp. this tells the amp to turn off and on when the deck does.

if you are using the factory deck, you'll have to splice into the ACC power wire (usually red). this wire has 12 volts going to it only when the key is on. splice that, and run it to the 'remote' terminal of the amp.

that should solve your problem. i've been through both setups. unless your car is radically different than my 00 GT. good luck.

Hodge
11-27-2005, 01:01 PM
I checked that today... when i put the battery charger on the battery, I looked at the amp and the light wasn't on, but i will check that in further detail and go back to the place I got it installed to see whats going on too. Thanks for the input, I will tell the sound shop that too.

digitalballz
11-27-2005, 02:44 PM
If you have an ampmeter, and you want to check for a drain its real easy. Just disconnect the NEG terminal on your battery, and put one lead from your ampmeter on the NEG side of the batter, the other goes on the Terminal you just took off. If you have any kind of a reading show up besides what is on the screen prior to testing. This doesnt tell you where the drain is, but will let you know if there is a drain. It only takes a couple of minutes too.

freeze12
11-27-2005, 03:45 PM
If you have an ampmeter, and you want to check for a drain its real easy. Just disconnect the NEG terminal on your battery, and put one lead from your ampmeter on the NEG side of the batter, the other goes on the Terminal you just took off. If you have any kind of a reading show up besides what is on the screen prior to testing. This doesnt tell you where the drain is, but will let you know if there is a drain. It only takes a couple of minutes too.

A test light will also work. Make sure Your battery is good. If the battery is good & You connect the test light & the light lights up bright.. then start pulling fuses one by one, if the test light goes out or dim the the short or drain is in that circuit.
The test light will probably light up dim when connecting due to the radios clock etc.

Hodge
11-27-2005, 04:26 PM
ok thanks, i'm gonan try all of this tomorrow. I pulled out the glovebox light because i thought that was something that could have done it as well, the switch was ****ed up so i just pulled it.

GRocks10
11-28-2005, 02:46 AM
Possibilty that your terminals could be corroside all over them.. check one or both out and let us know if it has like this white powder type substance around it.. could very well be that you need new terminal tips.. or new battery wires but I doubt that is the case.. you could always just cut the bad part of the wires and replace with the new ones. That should fix your problem.

iceman
11-28-2005, 02:54 AM
A test light will also work. Make sure Your battery is good. If the battery is good & You connect the test light & the light lights up bright.. then start pulling fuses one by one, if the test light goes out or dim the the short or drain is in that circuit.
The test light will probably light up dim when connecting due to the radios clock etc.

No... the test light will always light in this case.

freeze12
11-28-2005, 07:49 AM
No... the test light will always light in this case.

Yes,but light dim & a short will light brightly...like I said,radio drain etc.