Friend's GA has a problem... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Friend's GA has a problem...

Rogue9
11-28-2005, 03:06 AM
"well, the alternator's fixed, but now there's that stupid security issue
every so often, the security light will go on and we won't be able to start the car"

So that's what he told me.
He had charging issues so he replaced the alternator with a new one and now the above... any sugguestions?
The battery was also replaced less than 6 months ago so it shouldn't be that...

out of warranty and it's a 99, 4 cylinder, so preferably a home fix would be nice.

Thanks.
J.

GRocks10
11-28-2005, 03:40 AM
Does the car have an aftermarket car alarm installed? Maybe your buddy is forgetting to disable it when hes going to turn on the car or perhaps the batteries in the alarm need to be replaced.. doubt its that though, I would imagine that you or your friend would figure that out.

Another suggestion is to put the key in the ignition and turn it on without actually letting the engine turn over.. just turn the key so that the fuel pump will kick into effect.. hold it for about 10 seconds and then try to turn on the engine. Let me know if this helps.

brim
11-30-2005, 09:35 AM
security light shouldn't be coming on unless the system is getting tripped for some reason.

other thing i heard for resetting the passlock system is to put the key into the on position, disconnect the negative terminal for 10 seconds, reconnect it then try and crank it over. Supposedly a quicker reset than waiting 10-15 minutes with it in the on position

sc02grandam
11-30-2005, 12:30 PM
ignition cylinder <-- do a search on this