STUPID 1997 Grand Am GT!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : STUPID 1997 Grand Am GT!!!

82-T/A
11-28-2005, 06:48 AM
Hey guys,

I doubt if anyone remembers, but I was having major problems with my 1997 Grand Am GT. I was driving my wife back from dinner on her birthday, and the car started to hesitate, and eventually died on the side of the highway. This was about 4 months ago. The car does idle fine, but when you take the RPMs above 2,000, it hesitates and will eventually die if you take your foot completely off the gas.

So, I've narrowed down the problem to two possiblities:
- Fuel Pump
- Ignition Control Module

I have replaced the following items in the car:

- Waterpump (not because of this)
- Fuel Pressure Regulator
- MAP Sensor
- All Vacuum lines
- EGR Valve
- O2 Sensor
- Spark Plugs
- Spark Plug Boots
- Fuel Filter

The car only has 83k miles on it, so it doesn't really have THAT high of mileage.

I suspect that it's the fuel pump because I'm guessing that a seal has gone bad in the fuel tank. What I figure is happening is that the pump is providing enough fuel to keep the car running at idle, but when the car increases in RPMs, the fuel pressure drops and it runs out of fuel.

Either that, or my ignition control module is bad.

However, I DID have another IDI cover with the ICM on it from another Grand Am I used to have. I put that one on, and there was no change in the condition.

I just ordered a fuel pressure tester kit off the internet. The one I have is for a schrader valve only, but this one has all the various fittings I would need.

That will answer my question once and for all as to whether or not it's the fuel pump.

The only other thing left to do is to test the ICM. Does anyone know HOW I can test the icm? Is there a way that I can test it that will show whether it's failing at higher rpms? In other cars, my experience has been that it fails, it completely dies and you can't even start the car. This was with older OBD-1 vehicles... so I don't know if that's changed.

Anyone have any comments or advice for me?

Thanks!

RamAirGT22
11-28-2005, 06:51 AM
damn you gotta a lot of cars....

gobraves02002
11-30-2005, 02:07 PM
sounds like fuel pump to me, i had same problem around the same mileage. try putting key in acc mode and listen for the fuel pump initializing, once it does then start it up. ever since i had to put my second one in i have done that everytime i start it up and no problems so far. good luck

digitalballz
11-30-2005, 05:49 PM
fuel pump