Buying a new gauge cluster [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new gauge cluster

AaronGAGT
11-29-2005, 11:05 AM
I know that the mileage is stored on the chip that connects to the board itself... but if I bought one from ebay with lower miles--how would anyone know what the true mileage is???

I dont plan on doing that, but I'm curious bc I need a new one and probably getting it off ebay.

xxbackhillxx
11-29-2005, 11:09 AM
AFAIK the odometer readings are stored in the ECM, not the cluster itself, so if you switch clusters you'll still have the same amt of miles on the car.

edit: I meant ECM my bad.

coupe
11-29-2005, 11:14 AM
So what about when ya buy a reprogrammed PCM like DHP? When i got DHP PCM my mileage was the same, unless by some weird coincidence the car that PCM came out of had the exact same mileage lol

Lab Rat
11-29-2005, 11:32 AM
The mileage is stored in the odometer cluster. Changed out my PCM after the tranny swap and the mileage did NOT change. Maybe the stealership could input the correct mileage, don't know for sure though.

Panacea
11-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Actually I heard a long time ago that it was stored in both the PCM and the Cluster itself.

I know in the manual (I think the manual) it said that messing with it will give you 'error' on the display. I would contact the dealer and see what they say.

iceman
11-29-2005, 12:08 PM
It's stored in at least the PCM and the IC.

Molson
11-29-2005, 12:13 PM
It's stored in at least the PCM and the IC.
yep. Changing the cluster will give you a different reading. but if it doesn't match up with the PCM, you'll get it right in the kisser... To the moon agnes!

harvester45
12-01-2005, 04:46 PM
I know this topic is an old one, but I just wanted to clear some things up, cause I'm not sure that anyone has everything right so far.

I can verify that the odometer reading will change if you swap in a new cluster, and from what I've heard it is stored in at least two places (somebody said that maybe it was stored in the airbag control unit too??? I cannot confirm this.). So, yeah, if you go to sell the car, odds are that unless the person was suspicious of fraud, they wouldn't take the time to check. I don't plan on ripping somebody off, so I'd tell anyone the accurate mileage before selling it to them (all you've gotta do is keep track of what the readings were on the two clusters when you switched them). It's just stupid and really dishonest to lie to somebody about the car that you're selling to them, so I strongly discourage it (do unto others...).

Anyway, I don't want to get off on a tangent, but just make sure you note the mileage on the clusters before you swap them (and from what I've seen, they do swap easily, just plug and play).

Harvey

BTW, I heard once that you could just switch a card on the inside of the gauges and the mileage would change, but this is not true. From what I can tell, this is just a LCD readout with a slot connection to the main board inside the cluster, and no information is stored on the card itself (I think that it is stored on a chip soldered to the main board). Hope this helps clear things up.

Panacea
12-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Wow. I'm not even going to touch that last post with a 20' pole.

harvester45
12-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Wow. I'm not even going to touch that last post with a 20' pole.

Dude, what's the deal? I was just trying to give a comprehensive answer to the person's question, since nobody seemed to have done this in the posts above, as I have. If you're not gonna touch my last post, don't even comment on it. Argue with any of it that you want, and correct me if I said anything that was incorrect.

Harvey

(Note: edited for clarity)

AaronGAGT
12-03-2005, 12:44 AM
Nobody get their panties in a bunch... I'm an honest person and don't plan on ripping anyone off. Just wanted to make sure things would work out ok when I bought a new one!