Should I sell or should I keep? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell or should I keep?

idahoeeboy
12-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Ok, so I'm a bit frustrated with the Grand Am right now. It's a 2002 Grand Am GT 4 door (with leather, sunroof, rims, and sound not that I see how that would affect anything) that I bought in August 2002 and which currently has 55000 miles on it. I've done all the maintenance either on time or early and in general treated it really well. It had 2 warranty issues: 1) the turn signal would click erratically 2) a solenoid in the transmission was sticky causing the transmission to hesitate around 2000 RPMs.

Now, I see small chunks floating in the coolant (they're still there after I did a 2 coolant flushes at 50K). There's a brown fudge like residue on the bottom of the surge tank cap. I'm worried its the dreaded LIM gasket problem. Also, less than one year after the warranty issue, I'm having the same problem with the transmission. Its just irritating to me that I have these problems after taking good care of the vehicle-honestly I don't know if I want to buy another GM. However, upon looking for replacement cars, I haven't found one that my wife likes even close to the Grand AM as far as interior and exterior styling and performance are concerned.

So my dilemma: I don't mind fixing these two problems provided that they aren't a signal of more problems to come.
1) So should I fix the problems or would it be better to ditch the car and start shopping?
2) How much am I looking at for the above to repairs? And would I be better going to the dealer or to a normal mechanic?

Thanks in advance, sorry for being so long-winded, just trying to give as much info as possible.

GrahamKracka
12-01-2005, 07:26 PM
interior styling = old
exterior styling = gaudy
performance = crap

yea....

anyways to answer your queston

start shopping...my car was at 40somthingK before i traded it in..and it had way worse recurring problems than yours....get rid of it before it bites you in the ass

idahoeeboy
12-01-2005, 07:27 PM
No need to be rude. Its just what she likes. I'm just comparing it against what we can afford to get (like ford focus, scion xa, toyota corolla,etc.)

canuck
12-01-2005, 07:36 PM
get a chevy cobalt,stay away from the jap crap

GrahamKracka
12-01-2005, 07:37 PM
maybe shed like the TC...its not much more than the xa and its a nice car

GrahamKracka
12-01-2005, 07:37 PM
get a chevy cobalt,stay away from the jap crap

...:amraam:

:applause:

congrats you make yourself look stupid

GrahamKracka
12-01-2005, 07:39 PM
unless you see coolant in your oil its not really a problem

idahoeeboy
12-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Thanks GrahamKracka....I didn't know it wasn't really a problem unless you had coolant in your oil. I just hate to trade it in. I owe 10.5K on it. NADA says trade in is equal to that, KBB says trade is $8K. I don't think I have a snowballs chance in hell of finding a dealer that would give me over $8500....which would mean a $2000 hit. Ouch. Problem is my wife plans on a kid in a year, and it would be the family car and I think the TC is a coupe?

AznGA
12-01-2005, 08:12 PM
Try getting a tranny flush. Mine used to stick, but after the flush, it's gone.

hova82
12-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Yes, Grand am's are garbage. Infact GM is crap. I don't know why your wife likes the GM interior, it's awful. Go sit in an Acura. I owned an 04 TSX, nicest car I ever had. Even shutting the dorr and listening to how tight it sounds makes you happy you bought the car. I hate my grand am and it was a stupid choice to buy one.

GrahamKracka
12-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Yes, Grand am's are garbage. Infact GM is crap. I don't know why your wife likes the GM interior, it's awful. Go sit in an Acura. I owned an 04 TSX, nicest car I ever had. Even shutting the dorr and listening to how tight it sounds makes you happy you bought the car. I hate my grand am and it was a stupid choice to buy one.

WHY DID you buy one after owning an acura?

GrahamKracka
12-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks GrahamKracka....I didn't know it wasn't really a problem unless you had coolant in your oil. I just hate to trade it in. I owe 10.5K on it. NADA says trade in is equal to that, KBB says trade is $8K. I don't think I have a snowballs chance in hell of finding a dealer that would give me over $8500....which would mean a $2000 hit. Ouch. Problem is my wife plans on a kid in a year, and it would be the family car and I think the TC is a coupe?

good point

bigbenSC
12-01-2005, 09:20 PM
WHY DID you buy one after owning an acura?
Drug dealer and he got caught? I have no idea why you'd go from an 04 TSX to a 01 GA.

hova82
12-01-2005, 09:26 PM
lol, you guys will love the fact that I had it on 19inch niche rims.. yes it was nice. and the reason for selling? I drive 5000kms a month and I put over 60kms on it by the end of 2004 I year after I bought it. So I thought I would sell it before I owed way more than it was worth.. :(

GrahamKracka
12-01-2005, 09:29 PM
...so you bought a GA?

im gonna slap you

hova82
12-01-2005, 09:39 PM
I needed something in a 4 door, powerful, and I didn't care how many km's I put on it. :)

idahoeeboy
12-01-2005, 11:13 PM

I hate to point out the obvious, but comparing a luxury car to a GM budget compact hardly makes sense. If I was in the price range for an Acura, I'd obviously take it over a Grand Am. Unfortunately that may take a few years.

hova82
12-01-2005, 11:17 PM
I fully loaded grand am GT version is around 28k in Canada, The acura TSX is 36k. For 8 grand you get more than double the quality.

atc3434
12-01-2005, 11:48 PM
Wow, this thread is crazy one sided. You've got an 02 with 50k miles, and you've got one or two isolated problems. Doesn't matter WHAT car you buy, from a Hundyia to a BMW, you're going to have problems. Selling a car because it hasn't been problem free is a dumb idea, finding a car with zero problems is next to impossible. There are a couple sore guys on here that have had bad luck with the Grand Am, don't let them fool you though, there are plenty that have had really good luck.

I've got 116k on my 99, and its been a pretty good car, but its had its issues. I've done a LIM gasket, blower motor resistor, window regulator, wheel bearings, broken spring (I deserved that from auto-xing), tranny seal, rear door latch, brakes, and I'm sure a few other things I've forgotten. All in all, its been a good car, the payment isn't much, and its a lot of fun. Get your tranny fixed right and it'll be decent, I've put plenty of power through mine over and over and its still working tip top. The 3400 is a really strong, long running motor as long as the LIM doesn't fail without you catching it. The revised gaskets are much better. Keep your car, spend a little money to get it up to par, and you'll be good to go. I'm sure for every bad Grand Am story you can find a bad this or that story as well.

BTW, my coolant tank is gross even after flushing. All the junk tends to settle in the tank, not a major concern.

hova82
12-02-2005, 12:05 AM
Yes you are right that all cars have problems. But imports have them at 300k's and domestic have them at 100k's.

atc3434
12-02-2005, 12:07 AM
Yea, I don't buy that for a second, I know plenty of people that have had crappy luck with imports. But, if your so sold on getting one, just do it. Whateva.

hova82
12-02-2005, 12:09 AM
I do have them. Grand am is just a comuter

atc3434
12-02-2005, 12:14 AM
Well, to get back to the orignial thread, it looks like you've got one issue, the tranny. The coolant thing, as long as its not a LIM leak, which you could either spot by having coolant in the oil (looks milky under the cap, don't drive it) or having an external leak, isn't a problem. So, they didn't fix your tranny right the first time. Not the cars fault. Find a better mechanic, a tranny specific shop might be best. Then, change the oil regularly, be ready to have to occasionally deal with a few little things, and you're luck should be just fine.

AznGA
12-02-2005, 12:35 AM
hova82, stop being so stereotypical. You can just leave and trade in for a new TSX and enjoy the torqueless motor. My hard-driven Grand Am with 85k miles on the clock is probably one of the most reliable GA's on this board.

And you think anyone could easily spend $8000 more on a car that "might" be more reliable?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hova82
12-02-2005, 12:45 AM
Yes they are more reliable and a dream to drive. I topped 240kms in my acura smooth as glass. I go over 140 in my grand am and it's scary. quality.

AznGA
12-02-2005, 12:47 AM
Yes they are more reliable and a dream to drive. I topped 240kms in my acura smooth as glass. I go over 140 in my grand am and it's scary. quality.
You are just focking retarded.

hova82
12-02-2005, 12:49 AM
Why? Because I can handle high speeds? Or are you made you have never felt what 240k feels like?

Braves299
12-02-2005, 12:56 AM
what is 240K translate into MPH?

atc3434
12-02-2005, 12:56 AM
Having had the Grand Am out past 130mph, I wasn't having any "scary issues." I wouldn't attempt any major turning at that speed, but it was just as smooth as could be. My IROC-Z has been to 150+, and that was much better suited to it, suspension, tires etc. Plenty of us on these forums have been to the speeds your talking about, nobodies impressed with your "superior" driving skill, or amazing speed records.

Braves299
12-02-2005, 12:58 AM
Why? Because I can handle high speeds? Or are you made you have never felt what 240k feels like?

And you sir are dumb for insulting a more experienced member on this board. People know Yun. They don't know you. So making dumb ****ing comments like this isn't helping your image.

Believing imports don't have probs. till 300K + is just plain ignorance too...

AznGA
12-02-2005, 01:00 AM
Did you take your car to Autobahn? Where in the hell do you drive your car to top speed safely?

I have seen lots of domestic cars that easily went over 200k miles. Import, domestic, it doesn't matter. It's all about how you take care of your car.

hova82
12-02-2005, 01:00 AM
Having had the Grand Am out past 130mph, I wasn't having any "scary issues." I wouldn't attempt any major turning at that speed, but it was just as smooth as could be. My IROC-Z has been to 150+, and that was much better suited to it, suspension, tires etc. Plenty of us on these forums have been to the speeds your talking about, nobodies impressed with your "superior" driving skill, or amazing speed records.
I was stating the quality of ride. I have a grand am. and they suck at high speeds period. The imports are better built and designed for moderate abuse. First oil change in an acura is at 12,000k's. what does that say about their quality. And I was not bragging about my superior driving skills although, they arn't bad.

hova82
12-02-2005, 01:02 AM
what is 240K translate into MPH?
hey, for every 62mph. you get 100km's. so about 140 or so.

hova82
12-02-2005, 01:04 AM
Did you take your car to Autobahn? Where in the hell do you drive your car to top speed safely?

I have seen lots of domestic cars that easily went over 200k miles. Import, domestic, it doesn't matter. It's all about how you take care of your car.
Freeway @ 2am. I agree with you on the facts about taking care of your car. Did you know that 85% of toyotas ever built are still on the road. I wonder how many cavaliers that were built 5 years ago are getting new engine...

atc3434
12-02-2005, 01:09 AM
I have a grand am. and they suck at high speeds period.
Well, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. While not the most stable vehicle at high speeds, they certainly don't suck. I certainly doubt the TSX is remarkably better.
The imports are better built and designed for moderate abuse. First oil change in an acura is at 12,000k's. what does that say about their quality. And I was not bragging about my superior driving skills although, they arn't bad.
First oil change at 12,000k is a pretty dumb idea, especially on a new engine. It says nothing about there quality, its a selling point for the un-informed. As a motor breaks in, it'll shed a few little bits of metal, that you'll want out of there way before 12,000k. I'm sure they are going with some kind of sythentic, but its a bad practice.

Built and designed for moderate abuse? Explain that one. My Grand am has survived more than moderate abuse (hard use actually, I don't abuse my car) without any troubles. And you'll find few motors strong than a small block Chevy or a 3800 v6, both domestics that'll outlive just about anything else, under even the worst conditions.

We can put those superior driving skills to the test on an auto-x course some time. :driving:

atc3434
12-02-2005, 01:11 AM
Freeway @ 2am. I agree with you on the facts about taking care of your car. Did you know that 85% of toyotas ever built are still on the road. I wonder how many cavaliers that were built 5 years ago are getting new engine...

Thats funny you mention Toyotas and new engines in the same thread, because their 2 liter in the Corrolla, MR2, and Celica is one of the most replaced engines under warrenty. Check out an MR2 forum, those things constantly grenade. Do some research man.

GrahamKracka
12-02-2005, 01:14 AM
iv been over 130 in the GA and thought i was gonna die....but the car isnt really meant to go that fast either so its a moot point

if i go 130 inthe truck...i really barely notice it...sometimes i get to 110 by accident without noticing.....namely cause the thing is huge...but driving at those speeds in ant car is unsafe and i advise against it

and we wont get into the bike......oh god....i scare myself sometimes

and oil changes at 12k is retarded..youll build sludge up in no time

hova82
12-02-2005, 01:15 AM
Well, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. While not the most stable vehicle at high speeds, they certainly don't suck. I certainly doubt the TSX is remarkably better.

First oil change at 12,000k is a pretty dumb idea, especially on a new engine. It says nothing about there quality, its a selling point for the un-informed. As a motor breaks in, it'll shed a few little bits of metal, that you'll want out of there way before 12,000k. I'm sure they are going with some kind of sythentic, but its a bad practice.

Built and designed for moderate abuse? Explain that one. My Grand am has survived more than moderate abuse (hard use actually, I don't abuse my car) without any troubles. And you'll find few motors strong than a small block Chevy or a 3800 v6, both domestics that'll outlive just about anything else, under even the worst conditions.

We can put those superior driving skills to the test on an auto-x course some time. :driving:
well im sure the people designing the engines are smart enough to know when it's time to change the oil. The chev 350 is one of the best built motors out there along side fords 302. But you cannot compare to any import. you obviously have never owned an import. And as far as the track? sure. should I bring the 03 cobra or my stock grand am?

hova82
12-02-2005, 01:17 AM
Thats funny you mention Toyotas and new engines in the same thread, because their 2 liter in the Corrolla, MR2, and Celica is one of the most replaced engines under warrenty. Check out an MR2 forum, those things constantly grenade. Do some research man.
there 2L is garbage I agree. and so is the MR2. I don't know who designed that and put the price tag on it either. But. it's true. quoted from car and driver TV. 85% of toyotas are still on the road.

atc3434
12-02-2005, 01:19 AM
well im sure the people designing the engines are smart enough to know when it's time to change the oil. The chev 350 is one of the best built motors out there along side fords 302. But you cannot compare to any import. you obviously have never owned an import. And as far as the track? sure. should I bring the 03 cobra or my stock grand am?
Auto-x... either one is fine, I'm not concerned. And why can't I compare those engines to an import? Because they are remarkably much stronger? Too much bigger. Ok, you talked about Cavilers, lets talk about the 2.2 liter ecotec. You know that it'll handle over 350hp on STOCK internals. One of the strongest 4 cyl motors out there. Is it ok to compare those?

Braves299
12-02-2005, 01:19 AM
there 2L is garbage I agree. and so is the MR2. I don't know who designed that and put the price tag on it either. But. it's true. quoted from car and driver TV. 85% of toyotas are still on the road.

If Toyota had a d!ck, Car and Driver would suck it.

hova82
12-02-2005, 01:22 AM
Auto-x... either one is fine, I'm not concerned. And why can't I compare those engines to an import? Because they are remarkably much stronger? Too much bigger. Ok, you talked about Cavilers, lets talk about the 2.2 liter ecotec. You know that it'll handle over 350hp on STOCK internals. One of the strongest 4 cyl motors out there. Is it ok to compare those?
The 350 and the 302 are awsome engines. Especially if you get a guy from the old skool to build you up one that has a carb on it. Yes, the 2.2 engine out of the factory is pathetic. but! With mods its a better engine than the 3.4 for sure. and yes, it was a good build and is comparable to the imports. If only they would wrap that engine with a better looking body and interier.

Molson
12-02-2005, 07:51 AM
way to derail another one.

magazine racers.. :nono: