Why do so many of us have to do this? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Why do so many of us have to do this?

hova82
12-01-2005, 09:51 PM
I am one of the GA owners that has to turn the key to the ON position before starting. Why in the hell do we have to do this? I have never had a car that I needed to do this with.

Molson
12-01-2005, 09:52 PM
it primes the fuel system.

GrahamKracka
12-01-2005, 09:53 PM
prime the fuel pump maybe?

hova82
12-01-2005, 10:12 PM
no no no, I realize that part. But! why do no other cars have to do that? Im just curious why I can't just jump in a fire up?

RedGrandTour
12-01-2005, 10:17 PM
I am one of the GA owners that has to turn the key to the ON position before starting. Why in the hell do we have to do this? I have never had a car that I needed to do this with.

Because it a Grand AM.

DevilSlayer
12-01-2005, 10:21 PM
I usually let it prime, but if I'm in a hurry I just start it. It takes a couple more cranks, but its no big deal. All cars do this. My dads Plymoth Grand Voyager primes when its on, you can hear the pump turn on just like my GA. Same with my moms Amigo, grandma's Frontier, grandpa's pathfinder. You don't HAVE to do it. It starts fine if you don't.

ViperGTSR
12-01-2005, 10:26 PM
when i got my STi i didnt have to do this, but as soon as i added my piggyback engine-management at 5k miles i have to do it all the time now, i missed it!

hova82
12-01-2005, 10:30 PM
no it doesn't work fine if you don't do it.

Panacea
12-01-2005, 10:43 PM
It's part of the passlock system, IIRC.

hova82
12-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Do all GM's have to do this?

2K2GAGT1BQE
12-01-2005, 11:46 PM
I don't have to do it, I just put my key in, turn it for a sec, and it starts right up for me.

atc3434
12-01-2005, 11:51 PM
Yea, I don't have this problem either. I go right from off to start, fires right up. I think there might be a few people that don't get the fuel filter serviced regularly that experience the hard starting.

hova82
12-02-2005, 12:04 AM
nope. I just did the filter. sometimes I even have to hit the gas pedal to get it going.

atc3434
12-02-2005, 12:11 AM
nope. I just did the filter. sometimes I even have to hit the gas pedal to get it going.

Never hit the gas pedal in a fuel injected cars start sequence, you'll do nothing but confuse the computer. I guess some cars are just plauged. Defintely not simply a "GM" thing, I have had a handful of GMs, they all started right off. Weird.

Braves299
12-02-2005, 12:15 AM
I just get in and crank it. It never lets me down.

hova82
12-02-2005, 12:47 AM
Never hit the gas pedal in a fuel injected cars start sequence, you'll do nothing but confuse the computer. I guess some cars are just plauged. Defintely not simply a "GM" thing, I have had a handful of GMs, they all started right off. Weird.
Ya, If I took it to a mechanic, what might he say?

atc3434
12-02-2005, 01:00 AM
He might say a bunch of things. He might say you've got a fuel pump problem. He might tell you to just wait 2 seconds for the fuel system to prime, apparently the issue that most people experience is no fuel pressure on startup unless the pump has run for a second. Some cars hold pressure better than others, or so it seems. You defintely don't need any throttle input when starting a fuel injected car, unless the engine has become flooded. The computer knows roughly how much air will enter the engine based on the IAC position, when you open the throttle plate, you screw up its planned airflow.

H.O. Driver
12-02-2005, 11:37 AM
everytime I start a car, mine, parents, ford, GM, etc.... I always turn it to on and let the fuel pump cycle, just habbit, did it before I got this GA. I just kind of being nice to the car I guess......

When I got my 99 it didn't have the updated cal for the hard start issue, but never had a problem before or after the updated cal.

SikMindz
12-02-2005, 11:40 AM
For me I was told by a few mechanics that you should let all the lights cycle (as the computer checks all the systems) and fuel pump prime before trying to start the car. Not sure how much truth there is to this but with so much of the car controlled by a computer I figure there's no harm in letting it do it.

Slim
12-02-2005, 11:53 AM
I don't do that on mine. I get in, and turn the key right over. The engine barely cranks over once before it fires up. I tried letting it sit for a couple seconds, the engine cranks over more.... So I stopped doing it.

freakydeaky
12-02-2005, 12:53 PM
For me I was told by a few mechanics that you should let all the lights cycle (as the computer checks all the systems) and fuel pump prime before trying to start the car. Not sure how much truth there is to this but with so much of the car controlled by a computer I figure there's no harm in letting it do it.

i was also told something similar...

although i never do it... i get in, turn the key, and she cranks right up on first try with my optima... with the stock battery it would turn over once before cranking

Infernall
12-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Because it a Grand AM.

Lmao
So true it brings tears to my eyes... :(

Pontiac Ninja
12-05-2005, 04:34 PM
everytime I start a car, mine, parents, ford, GM, etc.... I always turn it to on and let the fuel pump cycle, just habbit, did it before I got this GA. I just kind of being nice to the car I guess.......

Thats exactly how I feel.

I read about many people doing it when I first got my car, and have been doing it every since. IT only helps your car, there is no hurt in it. You should not have to in most cases even with a GA, but thats just the way it is for some.

I orginally had a horrible time with nothing turning over and it not starting, this would happen very itermitently(sp), but it turned out the starter itself was going bad. Totally different issure then this, but I thought I would bring it up because thats another reason why I initially started doing it, because I thought it would help. Had nothing to with it, but now its a habit and it is nicer on the fuel system!!

hova82
12-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Thats exactly how I feel.

I read about many people doing it when I first got my car, and have been doing it every since. IT only helps your car, there is no hurt in it. You should not have to in most cases even with a GA, but thats just the way it is for some.

I orginally had a horrible time with nothing turning over and it not starting, this would happen very itermitently(sp), but it turned out the starter itself was going bad. Totally different issure then this, but I thought I would bring it up because thats another reason why I initially started doing it, because I thought it would help. Had nothing to with it, but now its a habit and it is nicer on the fuel system!!

Please explain more about your starter problems. And what were the exact symptoms?

Pontiac Ninja
12-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Please explain more about your starter problems. And what were the exact symptoms?

refer to this thread>>http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16636