Tranny Flush, LIM gasket question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Flush, LIM gasket question

idahoeeboy
12-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Ok, so my last thread on deciding whether or not to keep my car turned into a domestic vs. imports ****ing contest. I've pretty much decided to keep the vehicle, sounds like I've actually been very lucky in comparison to some. Thanks for everyone's advice and input. Now 2 questions:

1) Concerning my possible LIM problem. Someone said that a little fudge stuff in my coolant isn't a sign of a LIM gasket problem--all I need to do is keep checking the dipstick. If this is the case, is there anything I can do about it? I've already done a coolant flush myself.

2) Tranny problem issue. It kind of stutters around 2k RPM. After searching, I've found that this doesn't seem to be an uncommon problem (perhaps something to do with a solenoid). The solenoid was fixed under warranty 11 months and 20K miles ago. Is there some kind of warranty on the warranty, or am I SOL? If they won't replace it for free, then will a tranny flush help this? Also, I want to do a complete tranny flush (including torque converter). Does the GM dealership do this? Or are they are rip off and I would be better off going with someone else?

Thanks in advance.

Ajaxus
12-04-2005, 06:55 PM
hm, never heard of oil in the coolant, only coolant in the oil. did you open up the oil cap to check and make sure its not mixing? also try taking a flashlight and searching down around the engine, typically a lim gasket problem will lead to coolant leaking out around the engine. and keep an eye on the coolant level, another sure sign. i recently had mine fixed and it spent 27hrs in the shop to get it done right, maybe you can fix it yourself, im not sure what your experience/tools are.

as far as the tranny issues, i cant help you there. what i can say is that gm dealerships vary in helpfulness, prices i cant give you because i dont know them. basically it comes down to prior experiences with your local gm dealership and what their reputation is, they vary from town to town. if you dont trust them then find a reputable mechanic in the area with good references and go with them.

AznGA
12-04-2005, 06:56 PM
I got my LIM gaskets replaced but I still see the stuff underneath the coolent cap. I have not done the coolent flush though. Keep checking the coolent and engine oil. If your engine oil dipstick shows some milky material, that means the coolent is in the oil. You know where the gasket is located right? Look around the manifold block and see if it's leaking externally.

I had the RPM jump up and down when the tranny was trying to shift. When the tranny oil is old, it can make the tranny "stick". I got the tranny flushed at a GM dealer and that problem is pretty much gone.

boost21
12-04-2005, 07:03 PM
easyiest visual i can find. check the bottom of the oil cap. when i was searching for my car i came across one that looked like this....

http://www.alteredimaging.com/shared/ga/screwed/EngineOilFillCap.jpg

idahoeeboy
12-05-2005, 08:29 AM
So does a flush typically include some sort of pressure flushing, rather than just a simple fluid & filter change?

atc3434
12-05-2005, 09:24 AM
A full tranny flush involves a machine that exchanged all the fulid out of the tranny. Dropping the pan only removes like 30% of the fuild. The exchanger hooks up to the tranny cooler lines, and the car pumps the old fulid out and forces new fluid in.

I've had my coolant flushed after my LIM was fix this spring, my tank still looks horrible. If your not loosing coolant, and its not contaminating your oil, I wouldn't worry about it.

Sound like you shift selinod is dying again, I'd go back to the place where it was fixed, and complain. Maybe they'll fix it again at a discount. Sorry about getting into it with the other dude in your last thread, I can't stand it when people sprout their un-iformed opinions and flash them like they are fact.