Steering Wheel Control Lights?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Control Lights??

vin1978
12-05-2005, 08:33 PM
I have a 2001 GAGT that has the stereo controls on the steering wheel. Since I purchased the car the you could never see the steering wheel controls at night, but the dealer told me that was normal.

Today when I went out to open the car with the keyless entry, as soon as I hit the button you could see the controls light up on the steering wheel for a second when the headlights flashed. I am usually not right up to my car when I hit the keyless, but today for some reason I was. Can anyone shed some light on this mistery. I would really like to have them working. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Infernall
12-06-2005, 06:40 AM
My cruise buttons has a light in it that comes on when i press the cruise enable button on the wheel.

Are you asking about cruise or stereo controls?

vin1978
12-06-2005, 07:02 AM
I am asking about the stereo controls. I used to have a GTP and the stereo controls on the steering wheel would always be lit when the lights were on. I just always thought it was funny that the stereo controls on both the GTP and the GAGT looked exactly the same but the GAGT controls did not light up.

Also, the cruise light on the steering wheel does work.

excitement
12-06-2005, 10:36 AM
My 01 GT1 lights up. I think the 99-00 don't and that was one of the minor changes implemented. Not sure what could be causing yours to not come on when the lights are on.

vin1978
12-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I thought they should, now to just figure out why mine do not light. Could it be a fuse? I checked most of them and don't see any that have shorted out. It just doesn't make sense that they light up when I lock and unlock the doors, but when the lights are on I get nothing. Anyone????

GAGT7386
12-06-2005, 02:23 PM
My 01 has the lights and they light up. Never had a problem with mine ...

Slim
12-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Yeah... They should light up. If you're seeing them light up when you hit the remote button you know they CAN light up, it's just a matter of finding out why they're not. Do you have the automatic lights in your car?

vin1978
12-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Yes, I do have automatic lights on the car. I did try switching it to on, but still no luck.

Slim
12-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Yes, I do have automatic lights on the car. I did try switching it to on, but still no luck.

That's messed up... Apparently it's not getting power when the headlights are on, but it is when the doors are unlocked. I'm not a wiring expert, so it goes beyond what I would know to check.

excitement
12-08-2005, 01:36 PM
Aren't the interior lights controlled by the BCM? I pretty sure the BCM is programable. Maybe you need the BCM re-flashed.

vin1978
12-09-2005, 07:46 AM
Aren't the interior lights controlled by the BCM? I pretty sure the BCM is programable. Maybe you need the BCM re-flashed.

Is that something I will have to have done by the dealer? Any ideas of what that might cost? Thanks everyone for your help. It is very much appreciated.

excitement
12-12-2005, 11:26 AM
I think you'll have to get it done at the dealer. I'm not sure if after market programming is sold for the BCM. Some dealers update the BCM and the engine management computer with the latest version as part of their service. They might do it for free if you are having other work done. If not, then it will probably be the standard hourly rate.

99GAGTX
12-12-2005, 07:00 PM
My 01 GT1 lights up. I think the 99-00 don't and that was one of the minor changes implemented. Not sure what could be causing yours to not come on when the lights are on.

I got the stereo and cruise controls on the steering wheel of my 99, and they light up. Always have. I'll ask the obvious question. Is the dimmer switch turned down maybe?

Never mind. You mentioned they light up when the remote is pressed.
Don't you love it when people answer their own questions?

vin1978
12-13-2005, 08:05 AM
I got the stereo and cruise controls on the steering wheel of my 99, and they light up. Always have. I'll ask the obvious question. Is the dimmer switch turned down maybe?

Never mind. You mentioned they light up when the remote is pressed.
Don't you love it when people answer their own questions?

Not a problem. I appreciate that you tried. Well, I will call a couple local dealers to see what they think it is and how much to fix it. I will keep everyone posted.