Sludge in the engine>> [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Sludge in the engine>>

BadGT471
12-05-2005, 08:52 PM
What is the best way to get the sludge that builds up in the engine? I have some, i think I wait too long between oil changes.. Is there anyway to get this out? How much does this affect performance, and what will it cause in the long run engine related?

Metallman56
12-05-2005, 09:06 PM
there is some engine flush you can buy. it basically flushes all that crap out of your engine. just follow the directions carefully. also if your using penzoil stop immediately! that oil sucks. switch to a synthetic. i dont know exactly how much horsepower it can rob you of, but having your internals gummed up cant be good.

i hope this helps man good luck!

Mike Jung
12-05-2005, 09:31 PM
...also if your using penzoil stop immediately! that oil sucks...
Umm, :nono:

Pennzoil is actually a good motor oil.

People on Bob is the Oil Guy.com forum (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com) swear to Auto-RX (http://www.auto-rx.com)
(I never used it myself though.)

You could also use a heavy-duty diesel motor oil for your next oil change; that would help in cleaning out your engine.
(But you better wait until a warmer weather to use it.)

hova82
12-06-2005, 12:04 AM
Umm, :nono:

Pennzoil is actually a good motor oil.

People on Bob is the Oil Guy.com forum (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com) swear to Auto-RX (http://www.auto-rx.com)
(I never used it myself though.)

You could also use a heavy-duty diesel motor oil for your next oil change; that would help in cleaning out your engine.
(But you better wait until a warmer weather to use it.)Actuallt penzoil is garbage. When I used to work for a car company there was a study on engine oil and what the top oil's are:

1. Valvoline (I couldn't believe it either)
2. Mobil One
3. Quaker State
4. Castrol

Penz was way down the list!

coupe
12-06-2005, 07:55 AM
I wouldnt argue with Mike on oil. He knows more about oil than his own fruit and berries.

Mike Jung
12-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Actuallt penzoil is garbage. When I used to work for a car company there was a study on engine oil and what the top oil's are:

1. Valvoline (I couldn't believe it either)
2. Mobil One
3. Quaker State
4. Castrol

Penz was way down the list!
& that says much about that study lol

Mobil 1 a PAO synthetic motor oil, bettered by Valvoline (what type-?).
& Quaker State being better than Castrol :rolleyes:

A list of motor oil brands doesn't mean much with out which model/type.

& I would put Quaker State dino oil on the bottom of the list for it's weak additive package.

PS: Pennzoil is better than Quaker State; better based stock oil & additive package.
From: Pennzoil or Quaker State? (http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011170#000000)
I've answered this on several different post on this board, but will do it one more time.

IMHO Pennzoil is the better product on both conventional and synthetics. They are not the same product, never have been and never will be.

Conventional:

Pennzoil - Group II+ base stock and additive package produced by Shell Chemical.

Quaker State - Group II base stock and standard additive package purchased from Lubrizoil.

Synthetic:

Pennzoil Platinum - EOA base stock and additive package produced by Shell Chemical.

Quaker State - Group III base stock and additive package purchased from Lubrizoil.

The research on the Pennzoil Platinum took place at Shell's Westhollow R&D Lab in Houston, Shell Germany, and Pennzoil's R&D Lab in The Netherlands.

Hope this answers your questions.

Metallman56
12-06-2005, 03:40 PM
i have took apart 2 different engines that used penzoil consistently and kept up on oil changes. there was a ton of sludge in the heads. so much so i was surprised oil was even getting circulated through the engine. both motors had around 60,000 miles. i would never use penzoil ever. i use royal purple and love the stuff. however i like any synthetic, but penzoil. i also trust valvoline and castroil. and thats about it.

tebore
12-06-2005, 05:27 PM
You could just try the sea foam treatment. Dump 1/3 of the can in to the oil drive around for at most a week then change the oil. It'll be black as the night but at least it's not in your engine.

Mike Jung
12-07-2005, 11:36 AM
i have took apart 2 different engines that used penzoil consistently and kept up on oil changes. there was a ton of sludge in the heads. so much so i was surprised oil was even getting circulated through the engine. both motors had around 60,000 miles...
Just wondering on what vehicles, engines, year, & oil change intervals ?

Mike Jung
12-07-2005, 11:37 AM
BadGT471,

(If you have a V6 engine.)
Make sure the PCV valve/system is working properly.

Lab Rat
12-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Shoot. I have been using Pennzoil every 3000 mi. for the past 99,000 mile. Been using a Fram filter too. I must be really gummed up huh?

Mike Jung
12-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Shoot. I have been using Pennzoil every 3000 mi. for the past 99,000 mile. Been using a Fram filter too. I must be really gummed up huh?
:nono:

PS: You might want to choose another oil filter brand, other then Fram (or made by Fram).

Metallman56
12-07-2005, 03:34 PM
i would agree with the fram filter. but hey man its not my car you do what you want.

the first was a 1970 ford mustang with a boss 302. my buddy thought the engine needed to be rebuilt. it was my first engine that i took apart, so he just pointed at stuff and told me what to do next. he changed the oil every 3 months. and he ran a fram filter. i told him i had heard bad things about penzoil but had never seen anything bad myself. he simply told me he had been running it for years and it seemed to be working just fine. when we got to the valve covers he quickly changed his mind.

the second was a buddy of mine that had a like 88' susuki (sp) sidekick. piece of crap if you ask me. anyways he got in a wreck, rear ended, and wanted to part out the engine. so we did. and sure enough same oil same problem.

i cant tell you the exact millage on either engine but i do remember that neither had reached 75,000 yet. both guys kept up maintenance on there cars, hell the mustang was the guys baby. he had bought it from his dad, who bought it new. so that is why i would never use penzoil. i have seen what it can do, and it is not pretty. you can say what you want about what you want you are just not changing my mind.

freeze12
12-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Auto-RX discount
Our 2005 Holiday Offer is as follows:

2 Bottles $22.97 ea. ($2 off)
3 Bottles $21.97 ea. ($3 off)
4 Bottles $20.97 ea. ($4 off)
5 Bottles $19.97 ea. ($5 off)
6 Bottles $18.97 ea. ($6 off) Best Deal!

Please use coupon code, ARXH5, to get your holiday discount.
Note: This offer expires on Dec. 24, 2005.

Metallman56
12-09-2005, 03:41 PM
any luck?

2002AmSE
12-09-2005, 11:53 PM
How bad is the sludge?

Do you have a picture?

I had a mild amoung of varnish showing through the oil cap. Enough to leave a black coating in some areas that I could see, about 10,000 miles of synthetic oil in the engine and 36,000 miles of desposits was all gone by 46,000 miles. I used Mobil 1 but I could have used any PAO based synthetic oil. Synthetic oil won't be a quick solution to a bad sludge problem but it will at least prevent an increase in sludge with reasonable oil change intervals. If it is pretty bad, I would get Auto-Rx and after the Auto-Rx cycles are done use a synthetic oil to keep everything clean and prevent the problem from reoccuring.

Panacea
12-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Use Seafoam. Like $5-6 a can at O'Reileys and Auto Zone.