steering issues [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : steering issues

swthrt411
12-07-2005, 08:31 AM
I have had my 03 GAGT for over a year now. It used to drive great.
My problem began about a month and a half ago.
All of a sudden the car wants to drift away on it's own.
It is suddenly a chore to keep the car steering where I want it to go. The floating car syndrome is driving me nuts!
I have replaced the front wheel bearings (they needed it), I double checked the rear bearings (they are fine)
Got new rims and tires (a good winter set)
Had an 4 wheel alignment done. Checked front and rear suspension and shook the car out really well.
I am now about to check as much as I am knowledged in to the steering column to make sure that it is all tight and in place.
Does anyone have any other suggestions to what else I can try and check before I actually have to go in to a repair shop.
I am trying to do as much as I can before I need to spend stupid money.

Any and all suggestions welcomed as winter is right in front of my face.

Blight
12-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Who did your alignment?

Whats your tire pressure?

On all roads or just crowned (slightly slanted) roads?

freakydeaky
12-07-2005, 09:30 AM
a worn tie rod end can cause wandering, erratic steering, and excessive tire wear.... if tie rod replacement is necessary, a wheel alignment is also required because tie rod replacement disturbs the toe setting.

tenspeed
12-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Increasing the toe-in will reduce the wandering. Make sure all the steering components are good first so you are not covering up another problem.

bigbenSC
12-07-2005, 10:33 AM
We just replaced the driver side tie rod on our 2001 GA, the symptoms were a lot like what you are experiencing. We had recently replaced the driver's side wheel bearing too. Like freakydeaky said, it had to be aligned afterward. Cost us about $250 with an oil/filter change thrown in.

1coop44
12-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Who did your alignment?

Whats your tire pressure?

On all roads or just crowned (slightly slanted) roads?

I'd check your tire pressure . I know when my tires are over inflated the car feels like it wanders all over the road ( does not feel as planted to the road) .

swthrt411
12-07-2005, 01:49 PM
i got my alignement done at a place named townfair tires. The car does float no matter what roads I am on.
I will definatley check the tire pressure later tonight when I get out of work...I think I have it 4 or 5 lbs under what the tire actually says, that is where I normally keep it.

How could I check the tie rods to be sure or not if that might be the problem???

Thanks for all the reply's, much appreciated!
:cheers:

tenspeed
12-07-2005, 02:18 PM
i got my alignement done at a place named townfair tires. The car does float no matter what roads I am on.
I will definatley check the tire pressure later tonight when I get out of work...I think I have it 4 or 5 lbs under what the tire actually says, that is where I normally keep it.

Open the drivers door and you will see a sticker that tells you to inflate your tires to 30 PSI (or close to it). The pressure on the tire is the maximum that the tire will take. The tire makers do not know what cars the tire is going onto.

swthrt411
12-07-2005, 08:55 PM
ok i checked the tirods, they are fine, checked the tire pressure good to go all around, still feeling something funny...
didn't get the chance to hit the steering column yet, but beyond that i don't know what else to check...
I will keep updated as i progress to fix whatever might be wrong...that way if anyone else comes across something this radiculous, they'll know what to do.
only a few more ideas then unfortunately off to a mechanic...