How to tighten fuel door [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How to tighten fuel door

godenbrncs
12-09-2005, 06:40 PM
I searched to make sure this wasn't a repost, and found nothing so sorry if this is a repost. I posted this in the how to section, but then was told to put it here so here it is! :D

My fuel door is loose somehow. It was like that when I bought it so I have no idea what happened to it. My old grand am had a spring action that kept it tight against the car, so I know this can't be right. I have said I'd get around to looking at it, but just have never done it. So, if anyone knows how to tighten it or fix the spring I'd appreciate the help. Hopefully this is an easy fix, but not so easy that I feel stupid for asking. Thanks guys!

hova82
12-10-2005, 01:12 AM
Go to the harware store and buy some Tuck Tape. Its red so it will look really nice. Take about 4-5 strips about 8 inches long and apply them to the outside of the car over the fuel door. Also it is a must that you fill your gas tank up before this project because you will not be able to get the door open ever again.

hope this helps.

godenbrncs
12-10-2005, 09:11 AM
:banghead Nope not really

freakydeaky
12-10-2005, 09:11 AM
describe where it seems to be loose, is it the door and arm that is loose, or is it just the door?

godenbrncs
12-10-2005, 04:59 PM
It seems to be the "arm" that is loose. Like there should be a spring somewhere in there to hug the door against the car, but it just kinda sits there. I have to push it for it to stay close to the car body.

godenbrncs
12-13-2005, 09:04 PM
ANYBODY???

Hodge
12-13-2005, 09:36 PM
i h ave the same problem, I sometimes jam the ****er in and it stays... but it ****es me off!!!

Infernall
12-14-2005, 07:42 AM
I have this problem on my 2001. The door sits about 1 CM up from being flush with the car.

I will try to snap a photo of the problem today. The GM tech I talked to said to bend the metal arm of the gas door....which can't be right.

Any other thoughts?

freakydeaky
12-14-2005, 12:26 PM
I have this problem on my 2001. The door sits about 1 CM up from being flush with the car.

I will try to snap a photo of the problem today. The GM tech I talked to said to bend the metal arm of the gas door....which can't be right.

Any other thoughts?

exactly, remove the two screws holding on the fuel door, and bend it.... i'm sure it'll take a couple of tries to get it right, but that's all you can do, short of buying a new fuel door... (i got this pic from evicerator.com, ignore arrows, but it shows the screws you need to remove)

godenbrncs
12-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Does anyone know where to get a new fuel door? I searched ebay and google, but didn't come up with anything after a quick search. I found a few used ones, but would like new.

freakydeaky
12-15-2005, 09:11 AM
fuel door....part #22685677... $40.71
gmpartsdirect (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/)

DrFabulous
12-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Or go ask yor dealer for a new one.