Brakes - pads - rotors - squealing - etc [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brakes - pads - rotors - squealing - etc

Coop
12-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Ok, I've done alot of searching on here and it looks like most people are using the powerslots with Hawk pads. Currently the car is going through a set of front pads every year (10k miles), and tends to warp rotors easily. Keep in mind my wife drives the car and doesn't drive like a maniac (like me sometimes). At this point I don't mind spending the money if it makes the squealing/warping/dusting crap go away. But I don't want to spend the money if there is the chance they'll warp. Has anybody had any problems with this combo of pad/rotor and what is the best place to buy?

TIA

brsexton
12-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Ok, I've done alot of searching on here and it looks like most people are using the powerslots with Hawk pads. Currently the car is going through a set of front pads every year (10k miles), and tends to warp rotors easily. Keep in mind my wife drives the car and doesn't drive like a maniac (like me sometimes). At this point I don't mind spending the money if it makes the squealing/warping/dusting crap go away. But I don't want to spend the money if there is the chance they'll warp. Has anybody had any problems with this combo of pad/rotor and what is the best place to buy?

TIA

Well if you really did not want to with the powerslot route ( for me would have been overkill), you could go with some GOOD quality rotors and GOOD cermaic pads. I have a 2003 Alero and was having the same issues you are having. GM kept replacing them under warranty and they kept warping\squeaking\fade. I decided to get some NAPA rotors and Akebono Cermaic pads. I have had them for several thousand miles and well over a year now with NO problems at all. It was the best money I could have spent.

Coop
12-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Well Napa is where I got the pads and rotors last time, I know it's thier "good" rotors, but I don't know what kind of pads they were, semi-metallic I believe.

Ajaxus
12-10-2005, 04:52 PM
ceramics will give you less stopping power than a semi-metallic but it will last longer. if its your wife driving and she doesnt drive it that hard like you say, then go with the ceramics.

the only addition in braking performance ive found from slotted rotors is that you get more stopping power in the rain with them, thats about it.

getTwisted
12-11-2005, 07:16 PM
who torque's your lug nuts when you change your brakes, or rotate your tires etc., I just used to tighten my lugnuts as tight as i could get them, but I was warping my rotors. get some new rotors, or turn the ones you have, and torgue your lugnuts about 85lbs. it made a differnce with mine!

andrewe77
12-11-2005, 10:15 PM
I purchased Wagner rotors and ceramic pads from Oreilly Auto Parts. I've had them over a year. The rotors show no signs of warpage, they don't grind anymore when it's wet out and they never have made a sound. The pads have never left any dust on the wheels. Both come with a lifetime warranty including warpage and wear, so if I wear out the pads I get new ones for free. I highly recommend them.

Coop
12-12-2005, 06:06 PM
who torque's your lug nuts when you change your brakes, or rotate your tires etc., I just used to tighten my lugnuts as tight as i could get them, but I was warping my rotors. get some new rotors, or turn the ones you have, and torgue your lugnuts about 85lbs. it made a differnce with mine!
I do, I spin the lugs on snug, set the car down and torque them to 100ft/lbs in a star pattern - 2x. iirc that's the torque spec in the FSM too, could be wrong though. Only time anyone besides me touches the car is when it gets inspected and every year the front brakes are shot.

brsexton
12-14-2005, 08:47 AM
Yeah, ceramic pads are good. I would suggest trying those.

lvemy3100
12-14-2005, 09:00 AM
I personally like the combo i bought from "the zone" baer drilled and slotted rotors (3 year warranty) and performance friction carbon metallic pads (2 year warranty). I had to order the rotors but theres no shipping and I had them the next day and the pads they had in stock. I found that they stop me much quicker and there's very little dust/noise. I've had them on for about 12,000 miles now and it barely looks like they have worn

I found ceramic pads tend to crack with high temp/speed stopping

Panacea
12-14-2005, 11:13 AM
Get these (http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PFYC&Product_Code=GN4004&Product_Count=0&Category_Code=GASUSP) and these (http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PFYC&Product_Code=GN4005&Product_Count=5&Category_Code=GASUSP) for the rotors.

Get these (http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PFYC&Product_Code=GN4007&Product_Count=6&Category_Code=GASUSP) and these (http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PFYC&Product_Code=GN4008&Product_Count=7&Category_Code=GASUSP) for your brake pads. I've had mine for over two years now (approx 20,000 miles?) and they've still got a lot of pad left. Can't go wrong with that combo.

mm2311
12-14-2005, 11:11 PM
I have Brembo cross-drilled and slotted rotors w/ the EBC Green Stuff pads....

Pads were expensive but worth it...

I also used silver VHT brake paint to paint the interior of the rotor and the outside parts that touch the rim......

Good stopping power and they haven't rusted yet...altought the paint is wearing a bit....(we'll see how they handle the winter)

RedGrandTour
12-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Well if you really did not want to with the powerslot route ( for me would have been overkill), you could go with some GOOD quality rotors and GOOD cermaic pads. I have a 2003 Alero and was having the same issues you are having. GM kept replacing them under warranty and they kept warping\squeaking\fade. I decided to get some NAPA rotors and Akebono Cermaic pads. I have had them for several thousand miles and well over a year now with NO problems at all. It was the best money I could have spent.

I also had the same NAPA rotors. They were good but did not handle heat like the stock rotors. Once they got hot the breaking distance would get longer. Other than the heat issue those rotors were ok.

brsexton
12-16-2005, 08:32 AM
I also had the same NAPA rotors. They were good but did not handle heat like the stock rotors. Once they got hot the breaking distance would get longer. Other than the heat issue those rotors were ok.

Most of the time its not the rotors that cause brake fade like you have, but the pads are the cause of that. Like I said in the other post, I have napa rotors and Akebono ProAct ceramic pads and have never had any brake issues including brake fade. And I brake hard sometimes and it does not bother them at all.