Bad Thermostat??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Bad Thermostat???

Carlitoboy
12-10-2005, 01:26 PM
My 2001 GA GT1 has got a couple of strange problems and I'm trying to troubleshoot.

First off, for some reason the radiator fan keeps spinning. Even after a cold start, like this morning when I went out, the fan was on the whole time.

Also, my temperature gauge stopped working. It stays all the way to the left, even when the car is warm after 30mins of driving.

I've been getting feed back from some mechanically inclined friends and they say "stuck thermostat". So I went and bought one and I'm in the process of installing it.

I was just wondering if anyone else here might have some feedback or ideas as to what the prob might really be...

Thanks all!

DrFabulous
12-10-2005, 01:27 PM
Stuck thermostat. There was another thread about this like yesterday.... same problem, same answer.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58164

Use the search function, or at least glace thru other people's problems. This thread was about 5 threads down from yours.

Carlitoboy
12-10-2005, 01:34 PM
Your right. Pretty similar. I actually read that post. I was thinking of piggy backing off that one or making a new one. I'm actually getting normal heat into the car from the heater. Could that possibly be a different problem?

Cheers!

atc3434
12-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Faulty gauge and constant running fans may indicate faulty temperature sensors. See if you can get on a scan tool and get some readings to see what the coolant temperature really is.

Carlitoboy
12-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Faulty gauge and constant running fans may indicate faulty temperature sensors. See if you can get on a scan tool and get some readings to see what the coolant temperature really is.

Cheers bro. sounds like a good idea.

iceman
12-10-2005, 04:10 PM
I was thinking of piggy backing off that one or making a new one.

When in doubt, don't ever make a new one.

And doesn't sound like a stuck thermostat to me, I think when the ECT goes bad the fans will always come in.. I'd start there.

Carlitoboy
12-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Please forgive the newbieness. What is ECT?

atc3434
12-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. Same thing I was talking about, probably a bad sensor.

Carlitoboy
12-11-2005, 05:23 PM
It WAS the thermostat. I just changed it today. Man it's tough to get to that sum'beech!!! That HOW TO for the thermostat came in handy!

Anyhow, the fan is working normally and I'm running at 200 degrees again! Thanks for the help folks!

This forum rocks!

DrFabulous
12-11-2005, 06:51 PM
This forum rocks!

Indeed.

zeddsdead
01-31-2006, 07:07 PM
oh cool im glad i found this thread. i just posted on a really old one about a similar problem. no fans on here....so maybe it is the t-stat. "sheckit it" out!!