Question about DS (doc speed)... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Question about DS (doc speed)...

Mag
12-10-2005, 03:30 PM
It's that time of the year again and i'm finally able to get a couple things for my 03 Grand Am! I was looking around and DoctorSpeed.com has both the exhaust and intake that I would like to put on it (Borla and their DS Stage 3 Intake). I looked around on this forum and found some semi-disturbing info about doctorspeed.com's service. Perhaps the shipping issues talked about for so long have been resolved but i'm just wondering if anyone would be able to give any information on the reliability of their services so that i'm not just buying these items to find them not arriving in a reasonable amount of time.

Now there is one more thing i'd like to ask, I was also looking at pfyc.com and they also have the borla exhaust and an RSM intake. I'm curious if there is a difference between the DS and RSM intakes and if one is a better buy than the other.

If this is the wrong place to post this than please forgive me and move the post ot the correct forum..Thanks in advance ^_^

~Mag

sc02grandam
12-10-2005, 03:41 PM
save your money... buy slp... and make a custom CAI and with the money you save.. buy dhp

atc3434
12-10-2005, 03:41 PM
The Doctor Speed Stage three intake has served me well for a couple years now. Its forsale, and my price is a lot less than a new one. He's service has been a little stetchy at times, I've never had a personal problem with him, but others have. Again, check out my Mods forsale thread in my signature, you can buy you CAI from me if it suits you.

Ajaxus
12-10-2005, 03:49 PM
the RSM intake iirc is a short ram air intake and doesnt actually enter the fenderwell. it will still have performance gains and that nice sound, but not so much as a stage 3 which does enter the fenderwell. if that helps.

sc02, he said he wants borla, i dont really see the relevancy in you pushing your own personal tastes on him.

Mag, search around on that borla exhaust, I know there are a few other sites out there with better deals on them. Also check ebay from time to time, you can get alot of these big name brand pieces for alot cheaper on there. Hope this helps.

Mag
12-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Ahh so the RSM is a short ram...thank you very very much for that bit of information Ajaxus!

I figure while i have this thread already posted ill ask this question.

My reason for looking at Borla more seriously than the SLP system is because of the quality issues...I mean from pics alone the Borla looks leaps and bounds ahead of SLP in quality. Because I live in South Dakota (horrid winters lol) quality will be important because the system will be subjected to some pretty nasty salt and snow.

Anyone have any experience with these systems in snowy conditions? How well did it hold up against all of the nastiness that winter brings?

atc3434
12-10-2005, 04:02 PM
I've had mine on the car for some winters, and Seth, the guy before me, had it on his through the winter. The SLP is still in great shape. I think the Borla is overpriced, the SLP seems to hold up just fine, I've never heard any complants other than a few people think its too loud. Zero complains about quality or longevity.

Mag
12-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Ah ok, well I might have to look at SLP a bit more seriously now.

Anyone have any info on the doctorspeed question, are they good people to order from? Will I actually get my stuff o.O?

sc02grandam
12-10-2005, 04:25 PM
the RSM intake iirc is a short ram air intake and doesnt actually enter the fenderwell. it will still have performance gains and that nice sound, but not so much as a stage 3 which does enter the fenderwell. if that helps.

sc02, he said he wants borla, i dont really see the relevancy in you pushing your own personal tastes on him.

Mag, search around on that borla exhaust, I know there are a few other sites out there with better deals on them. Also check ebay from time to time, you can get alot of these big name brand pieces for alot cheaper on there. Hope this helps.

its not just personal taste buddy... im giving him a valid alternative... obviously it looks like hes interested in perfomance gains.. and since hes asking questions about this stuff... he obviously doesnt know everything about it... im giving the best bang for the buck alternative.. i dont know about you buddy.. but i sure as hell dont like spending a lot more money on something.. when i can get it for a lot cheaper

as for longetivity.. the slp will probably outlast stock exhaust

slp 450
custom CAI... 70
dhp 200
this setup will give you better gains than

borla.. 650
ds CAI 200

02andahalfgt
12-10-2005, 05:17 PM
I've had mine on the car for some winters, and Seth, the guy before me, had it on his through the winter. The SLP is still in great shape. I think the Borla is overpriced, the SLP seems to hold up just fine, I've never heard any complants other than a few people think its too loud. Zero complains about quality or longevity.

:werd SLP > *

Look around PFYC a little more, they now sell the exact same CAI's as Doctor Speed, and PFYC are VERY reliable people. Will answer any question in no time at all too. http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PFYC&Product_Code=GA3019&Product_Count=30&Category_Code=GAUNDER

alexjames
12-10-2005, 06:18 PM
I just bought my borla exhaust for $636 at the auto partswarehouse, do a search on dealtime.com and the find borla exhaust and there should be one for 636,

AznGA
12-10-2005, 07:17 PM
I personally had no problems with Doctor Speed. I got Stage 2 and Stage 3 intake, and SLP exhaust from him very quickly. DO NOT buy Borla if you think it has better quality. My SLP is still fine after at least 2 years. SLP sounds awesome and makes every head turn when you drive around. But it might be loud in the cabin(I am starting to feel that way). Best advice I can give you is listen to both systems closely in person. Make sure the ones you hear are well-broken in. I know my SLP got louder when I put more miles on it.

Don't get short ram intake(WAI). Cold air(fenderwall) intake is the way to go. I know this from my own experience.

Ajaxus
12-10-2005, 07:57 PM
i believe there's a site with borla for $600 lemme go search for it.

http://www.procarparts.com/store-list2.asp?makerID=27&modelID=160&year=2001&cat=6&sub=66