Starting Difficulties [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Starting Difficulties

Dan30thZ28
12-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Hello,
I have a 2001 Grand Am GT with about 76k on it. Everything on it is original except for the modded stuff, brakes and tires. I have a hard start problem where it takes anywhere from 10-45 seconds to get started. The starter turns, the motor doesn't really start up for a while, and then it might backfire, and start and run so rough it can't stay on. Once it does get started, it does smell like there was way too much fuel in the engine. The problem is usually worst on the first start of the day, although it can happen at any time. The hard long starts come and go, there's no consistency to the problem. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

juanvan
12-23-2005, 04:03 PM
From the sounds of it there might be something wrong with the crank sensor. Since the car is dependent on that to tell the coils when to spark, and the fuel smell makes me thing that it is not igniting in the cylinder, leaving threw the exhaust..
This could be something you might want to have the dealer trouble-shoot just so you can fix it.
G/l
Mxmass

Dan30thZ28
12-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Juanvan,
You think the dealer could take a look at it, while I'm out of state for the Christmas break? They told me if it starts they can't diagnose it. Let me know what you think. Thanks! They claim they have no space while I'm gone to take a look at it, until after I'm already gone. F'n Dealer!

Sincerely,

juanvan
12-28-2005, 12:17 PM
That is something the dealer is going to want some time to troubleshoot.. maybe an hr or 2....
And even if the car does start they can put clips on the wires to see whats dieing, tell the dealer you want it 'Scoped' retards...

As for your time situation thats something I can't help ya with lol

coupe
12-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Are you letting the fuel pump prime?

Gramp's GT
12-29-2005, 11:13 AM
My 2000 does the same thing. It starts but it sort of stumbles up to an idle...kind of embarrasing for having a cool looking car that everyone knows I babied and it sounds like an old jalopy at start up sometimes.

juanvan
12-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Are you letting the fuel pump prime?

You have a ball on your car you pump before you start it?? It could be fuel related, but to happen only before it starts and not have ne problem after that.. it would be a strange fuel pump problem.,

Maybe the fuel filter needs to be changed? that could create something at the start and not be a problem after..
Don't know...

coupe
12-29-2005, 03:05 PM
You have a ball on your car you pump before you start it?? It could be fuel related, but to happen only before it starts and not have ne problem after that.. it would be a strange fuel pump problem.,

Maybe the fuel filter needs to be changed? that could create something at the start and not be a problem after..
Don't know...

No smartass. Turn your key to the on position for a few seconds. Listen carefully and you will hear your fuel pump prime. Once that sound stops your car will start no problem. The reason it dosent do it after that is becuase its already primed from driving it earlier.

Gramp's GT
12-29-2005, 06:01 PM
I had my fuel pump replaced a couple of years ago under warrenty when it gave up while I was out of town and on vacation. I always turn the key part way....wait for the pump noise to stop and then turn the key to start. Sometimes...not all the times.... it will seem like the engine stumbles while it is starting for 3 or 4 seconds and then it will idle slightly irratic for another 20 seconds or so. Drives ok after that, it is just embarrassing when others are around.

I am sure I am not the only one with this happening. I am sure GM is aware of what is the cause of the annoyance. It is to bad GM would not step up to the plate and fix some of the problems they are aware of to instill some product faithfullness back into the auto industry so that people would have some product loyaty once again. They could be on the leading edge of suppling product satisfaction well after a purchase....might be what the GM auto industry needs to put and keep them on top.
Oh well...like most companies...once they get their buck today they don't care.

coupe
12-30-2005, 06:28 AM
I had my fuel pump replaced a couple of years ago under warrenty when it gave up while I was out of town and on vacation. I always turn the key part way....wait for the pump noise to stop and then turn the key to start. Sometimes...not all the times.... it will seem like the engine stumbles while it is starting for 3 or 4 seconds and then it will idle slightly irratic for another 20 seconds or so. Drives ok after that, it is just embarrassing when others are around.

I am sure I am not the only one with this happening. I am sure GM is aware of what is the cause of the annoyance. It is to bad GM would not step up to the plate and fix some of the problems they are aware of to instill some product faithfullness back into the auto industry so that people would have some product loyaty once again. They could be on the leading edge of suppling product satisfaction well after a purchase....might be what the GM auto industry needs to put and keep them on top.
Oh well...like most companies...once they get their buck today they don't care.

Yeah mine does that too, kinda stumbles at first.

juanvan
12-30-2005, 02:15 PM
No smartass. Turn your key to the on position for a few seconds. Listen carefully and you will hear your fuel pump prime. Once that sound stops your car will start no problem. The reason it dosent do it after that is becuase its already primed from driving it earlier.

Yeah I was in one of those moods when i wrote that :applause:
I do know what you ment, but that should happen so fast... its like a spit from the injectors. I have listened for mine before, but still can't hear it..

coupe
12-30-2005, 03:08 PM
Do it from the outside then, just reach in and turn your key to "on". You gotta be able to hear it.