car starting and idling problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : car starting and idling problems

tomh
12-26-2005, 11:31 PM
sorry if this is a repost i cannot find the exact problems im having... anyhow

when i first start my car sometimes the RPM jumps up and down sometimes the car backfires once when the car is started. sometimes when i start my car the lights are not as bright as the should be so i have to give my car extra gas. and the last problem is sometimes when im at a traffic light the car starts shaking

everything i found talked about it maybe being the maf, or plug wires. is there away to tell for sure? no lights come on so there is nothing a scan tool would find. is far as i know the maf that is currently installed has 90k miles on it and the plugs/wires where put on about 30k ago (ngk plugs/taylor wires) (i know everyone thinks taylor wires suck, i just have not ever had a problem with them. but if they are causing the problem i am going to get some msd wires) and according to my a/f guage my car is not running rich or lean

i do have a pro-m maf / cai that has yet to be installed on my car. i suppose i could just put that maf in for a few days to see if it makes it any better (i didnt plan on putting it and the cai in until its warmer)

tomh
12-28-2005, 09:29 PM
got new plugs and wires today... so i guess ill see if that helps

atc3434
12-29-2005, 12:23 AM
Defintely try the MAF too, that could cause some of your troubles. How does the car shift? Good, choppy, harsh? If its completely normal, we can rule out a couple of things.

tomh
12-29-2005, 09:16 AM
ya it shifts fine .... well i just connected my pro-m maf that i got and give me an SES light... i hope theres nothing wrong with that maf i paid good money for it.. haha :(

but so far the new wires/plugs i got are kick ass.. they rock when i press the gas the car goes instead of waiting.. and i can actually lay rubber now... im shocked at how much better why were... but then again it was $215 for plugs/wires/oil change/labor but i would tell anyone to buy these things they kick ass :)

atc3434
12-29-2005, 10:08 AM
So... plugs and wires cured you problem?

Slim
12-29-2005, 10:51 AM
Did you connect the CAI with the MAF? The Pro-M MAFs will pop an SES if the CAI calibrated ones are connected without a CAI and vice-versa.

tomh
12-29-2005, 12:06 PM
So... plugs and wires cured you problem?

i have not had the problem yet.. but its been less then 24 hours and they happend randomly like once a week

tomh
12-29-2005, 12:07 PM
Did you connect the CAI with the MAF? The Pro-M MAFs will pop an SES if the CAI calibrated ones are connected without a CAI and vice-versa.

ok great i didnt know that, i just disconnected my stock maf.. and pluged the wire into the pro-m maf without hooking anything up but the sensor wire

Slim
12-29-2005, 12:11 PM
ok great i didnt know that, i just disconnected my stock maf.. and pluged the wire into the pro-m maf without hooking anything up but the sensor wire

Yeah... I had a non-CAI calibrated MAF on my car and it popped an SES light after about 30 mins of driving. A CAI calibrated MAF will do the same thing if it's running without the CAI hooked up.