Removing Trans-axle Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Removing Trans-axle Problem

juanvan
12-28-2005, 10:43 AM
I am putting a new transmission into a car, and the 'end' of the transaxle is STUCK in the transmission. I have tried prying it out (I know not a GREAT) pulling on it.. what ever.. Its so stuck..
I am about to cut it with a torch and put a slide hammed on it!
But if anyone has any ideas before that it would be GREAT!!

Thanks
Juan

juanvan
12-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Ok well the slide hammer is on and still NO GO...
son of a b....

AaronGTR
12-28-2005, 03:26 PM
Um, you mean the axle is stuck in the transmission? The transmission and axle assembly is referred to as the transaxle.

There is a groove in the splines around the axle shaft on the end inside the transmission and a simple round clip fits inside the groove and holds the axles in a corresponding groove inside. They should just pop out with enough force. The manual says to use a slide hammer on the right side axle. Just make sure it's between the case and the joint (big round metal can thing, they call it the tri-point pot). The left axle it says to remove with a screw driver. There should be a slot visible on the shaft between the case and pot that it says to insert the screw driver in and pry against the case until it pops out.

When I took my trans out I just used a couple of pry bars on either side of the pot and pulled out from the case until they popped out. They came out pretty easy.

juanvan
12-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Got it with the slide hammer.. OMG that was tough as hell... never have they been like that before.. time to go get a new axle :-D