Way to read SVS code? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Way to read SVS code?

wildblue
12-28-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm having the SVS/ABS/Trac Off problem that I've read a lot about on here. My question (sorry if it's been answered, I've looked through a TON of threads) is how can I read the code to at least figure out which wheel it probably is? Does it require a trip to the dealer to read?

Ajaxus
12-28-2005, 12:27 PM
pepboys or autozone should be able to read it for you

coupe
12-28-2005, 12:27 PM
SVS, you probably have a light out.
And if you have done a search you know what to do.

puckyou
12-28-2005, 12:39 PM
My SVS was a headlight out.........

onesexyga
12-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Autozone, Advance, etc, will only read 'check engine' codes. I'm in the same boat. I dont know which one to replace. I read about checking ohms to the bearings. I did it and got a number that was off, but no one was able to verify for me. I posted a thread and pm'd some people. I think im going to end up buying a scanner.

iceman
12-28-2005, 01:33 PM
I can't remember if wheel hub sensor codes come from the PCM module or ABS module.. IIRC they are set in the PCM just don't light the mil.. so a regular old obd2 scanner should get it.

If you want to pick up codes from the ebc/bcm/etc... the one I have does that, www.obd-2.com .

SVS, you probably have a light out.
And if you have done a search you know what to do.

actually you may need to do the search and read about this issue.. :nono:

AaronGTR
12-28-2005, 01:53 PM
SES is for powertrain only (engine/trans) and SVS is for everything else, from a brake light problem to an air bag problem to a bad wheel sensor. Some SVS codes are stored in the pcm while some are in the bcm. They still may be able to read them for you at a pep boys or autozone depending on the scanner they have. If not you'll have to go to a dealership so they can use a Tech2. When the SVS, ABS, and Trac Off lights come on at the same time that is quite often a shorted wheel speed sensor. ;)

wildblue
12-28-2005, 02:04 PM
I can't remember if wheel hub sensor codes come from the PCM module or ABS module.. IIRC they are set in the PCM just don't light the mil.. so a regular old obd2 scanner should get it.

If you want to pick up codes from the ebc/bcm/etc... the one I have does that, www.odb-2.com .

I tried the OBD-II scanner borrowed from autozone, it said 'no faults detected' - unless I was using it wrong.
The link you posted goes to one of those generic serach sites - got something else?

And to clarify my original post for everyone else - I know it's probably a wheel speed sensor, I've read about 50 posts on here about it :D I'm just trying to figure out which wheel to start with without paying a dealer to tell me.

iceman
12-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Sorry spelled that wrong... www.obd-2.com . fixed the link. It's probably a brake module code that you'll need either a 1) tech 2 or 2) a scan tool that will query the brake module

AaronGTR
12-28-2005, 02:31 PM
And to clarify my original post for everyone else - I know it's probably a wheel speed sensor, I've read about 50 posts on here about it :D I'm just trying to figure out which wheel to start with without paying a dealer to tell me.

That won't help. The module doesn't tell which wheel it is. I've had one replaced on my grand prix. It only knows one of the sensors isn't working. From there the techs check the output from all the wheel sensors until they find the one that isn't working right. I'd just take it to the dealer and be done with it. ;)

iceman
12-28-2005, 03:03 PM
That won't help. The module doesn't tell which wheel it is. I've had one replaced on my grand prix. It only knows one of the sensors isn't working. From there the techs check the output from all the wheel sensors until they find the one that isn't working right. I'd just take it to the dealer and be done with it. ;)

:wtf: yes it does!!

AaronGTR
12-28-2005, 11:51 PM
Didn't on my GP, don't see why it would on a GA [shrugs]. I highly doubt it would change what a dealership would charge to fix it anyway.