Driver's side power window problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Driver's side power window problem

KrustyTC
12-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Before you start flaming me I DID DO A SEARCH. I just didn't find the answer I was looking for.

My drivers side window will not go down. The power mirror adjusts, the power locks work and the passenger side windows goes up and down using the switch on the drivers door. Is there a fuse for just the drivers side window? If so, where is it? I looked for it on the interior panel and the panel under the hood.

If it's not the fuse is it most likely the motor? I did find some posts on replacing bad motors so maybe that's what I'll have to do. Just want to be sure before I rip the door apart only to find out it's a fuse that went south.

The car is a 2000 Grand Am GT coupe with 46K original miles.

thanks all,
KrustyTC

Hurricane
12-29-2005, 08:53 AM
Actually, I've had the same problem, but only intermittently. I've had a couple occasions where the drivers window wouldn't go down. It hasn't happened recently so I haven't worried too much about it.

There are more pressing things to repair on my car right now...

99GAGTX
12-29-2005, 12:04 PM
There's another fuse panel on the dash endcap on the passenger's side as well.
There's a circuit breaker for the power windows roughly in the center of the fuse panel.

I had the same problem a couple years ago. In my case I had to have the driver's window motor replaced.

Hope this helps.

KrustyTC
12-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Thanks very much for the information. I'll check out the fuses on the passenger side tomorrow. Of course if I try the window and it goes up and down.......

I've never had this problem with the car before. It's always been very reliable for us. It was my wife's car first, we bought it new in 2000. When she decided she wanted a new car I took the Grand Am and we traded in my GMC Jimmy for a Nissan Murano. The Murano is a VERY sweet ride. 245 hp, AWD. Handles great.

I'm actually looking at selling the Pontiac to buy a Subaru WRX. Since we've had the Nissan I'm hooked on AWD.

Thanks again,
KrustyTC

99GAGTX
12-29-2005, 06:49 PM
The circuit breaker controls all the windows. So if the passenger window is okay, then the CB is probably not your problem. But it wouldn't hurt to check it anyway.

I forget exactly where the thread is, but someone mentioned in another thread that the clips came off the drivers window and caused it to stay stuck in the down position. Once the window was re-clipped, it worked fine. But you're most likely having the same problem most of us here had. The window motors tend to go bad.

Good move with the possible move to a WRX. Nice car! GA's tend to be a money pit.

Hurricane
12-30-2005, 08:02 AM
Good move with the possible move to a WRX. Nice car! GA's tend to be a money pit.

It's definately appearing that way. It wasn't too bad up until about 100,000 kms and now everything seems to be falling apart.

In the past 6 months I've:
- replaced the front rotors (again), pads and hubs/wheel bearings
- LIM gasket and head gaskets
- power steering pump
- Now the intermittent problem with the window which from the sounds of things will eventually require replacing the motor
- The transmission seesm to shift abnormally hard from 1st to second and it occaisionally surges if it's held at just the right RPM
- SES light is on throwing a P0442 code, I've replaced the gas cap but no luck in resolving it. Once it warms up I'll take a look at replced the fuel pump O-ring (I remember reading about a TSB regarding that)

It's pretty bad when I have more confidence in my '91 Exploder that I paid $3200 than my '00 GA which I paid almost $30,000 on. And for the record, the only things I've had to do to the Exploder in the past year is replace a brake line ($10), new tires, and install a block heater ($40 - I was rather perplexed initally when I couldn't find the cord for the blockk heater. Who the hell has a vehicle in Canada for almost 15 years without a block heater????)

GaRedCoupe
12-30-2005, 09:10 AM
I'v had all those replaced plus tranny, I know how you feel.

99GAGTX
12-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Here's a link to the other thread I mentioned. It pretty much mirrors the direction this thread is going, but Dr.Fabulous mentions his problem with his window also.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58528

KrustyTC
12-31-2005, 05:32 PM
Once again thanks to all who've posted. I checked the circuit breaker and it's fine. The passenger side window goes up and down with no problems. The power mirror and locks work fine as well so it's probably the motor.

I've got to say I've been very happy with the Grand Am so far. It hasn't been a money pit for us at all. Just the usual stuff, brakes, tires etc. Normal wear and tear stuff.

The WRX is a fine car as well. The only real reason for the switch would be for the turbo and the AWD. I went and looked at one today but the whole car would need to be repainted. It's covered with scuff and scratches and dings. And they still want $10,295.00 for it. It's a 2002 with 91K miles on it as well. That's a bunch of dough to spend on a car with that kind of miles. That's the only problem I'm having looking for a WRX. They are all expensive no matter what shape they are in.

thanks again to all!
KrustyTC

P.S. Anyone know where I can get a driver's side window motor cheap?

KrustyTC
01-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Where is the best place to buy a power window motor? Anywhere online that has really cheap prices or do I just have to take the shaft from the dealer?

thanks again for all the help,
KrustyTC