Power Steering Leak [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Leak

action
12-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Are there many people here suffering with a power steering leak???

Mine is leaking on the return line that has a little cooler built into it, there are 2 junctions where the hard line ties into flex line and that is the 2 places where its leaking.

According to local shops its a common problem on these cars. Stupid thing is over $100 CDN and is a dealer only part.

Looks like another point where GM engineers dropped the ball.

99GAGTX
12-29-2005, 12:34 PM
I haven't had the problem yet, but thanks for the heads up. I'll keep a look out on mine.

Panacea
12-29-2005, 01:33 PM
I've had the pump replaced once, and a leak the second time. The leak, however, was coming from the steering gear. The steering gear needed to be replaced.

coupe
12-29-2005, 02:17 PM
I havent had this problem either, thank god.

action
12-30-2005, 06:13 AM
Awsome, I'm on my 4th pump since the car was new, the vanes went in the first one so you had no PS at Idle, next two cracked off the shaft in winter driving, making a U turn on snow onto bare pavement.

Apparently the leak I have is a common one, dealers stock the line regurly.

Hurricane
12-30-2005, 07:38 AM
Haven't had that specific problem but I am in the process of replacing my pump. Been a bit of a hassle since most of the the Parts Shops around here only stock the non-variable effort steering pumps and it doesn't appear that the EVO component will thread into the these pumps.

00blackGT
01-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Just Had my pump replaced. Now all the time you can hear it "winding" even tho its full on fluid. And around the cap there is fluid. Going back to the dealer tomorrow. I drive there 04's GASE's more than i drive my GT

action
01-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Haven't had that specific problem but I am in the process of replacing my pump. Been a bit of a hassle since most of the the Parts Shops around here only stock the non-variable effort steering pumps and it doesn't appear that the EVO component will thread into the these pumps.

You dont need to buy a pump with the variable effort assist. I bought a refurbished GM pump (cheapest around by far-check with your dealer - refurbished), it came with the instructions on how to install the variable assist valve in the replacement pump. It was pretty easy and the instructions were great.

The first pump I replaced was with a used one from a scrap yard, it was the correct pump and came with the resivoir, went really fast.

The refurbished pump from GM I had to transfer the variable assist valve, the resivior, and the drive pully. You need a gear puller to remove the pulley, if you dont have one, any garage could pop it off for you.

I have a write up in the How To's section on replacing the pump yourself.

action
01-10-2006, 12:49 PM
If its wining, there could still be air in the system, can take a couple days to work it out. If it dont go away, go back to the dealer.

When stopped, step up the idle to at least 1500 RPM (in Park!!) and turn the wheel repeatidly lock to lock. This cycles fluid through the system and helps drive air back to the resevoir.

Also be sure to check that they filled the fluid to the correct level, has to be checked with the engine running, not shut off.

Hurricane
01-11-2006, 01:36 PM
You dont need to buy a pump with the variable effort assist. I bought a refurbished GM pump (cheapest around by far-check with your dealer - refurbished), it came with the instructions on how to install the variable assist valve in the replacement pump. It was pretty easy and the instructions were great.

The first pump I replaced was with a used one from a scrap yard, it was the correct pump and came with the resivoir, went really fast.

The refurbished pump from GM I had to transfer the variable assist valve, the resivior, and the drive pully. You need a gear puller to remove the pulley, if you dont have one, any garage could pop it off for you.

I have a write up in the How To's section on replacing the pump yourself.

I tried the gear puller to remove the pulley.

The pulley broke. :(

So I ended up having to buy a new pulley as well. But it's all working now.

Now it's just a question of which is going to go next, the water pump or the tranny.