Passlock II or III? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Passlock II or III?

Zique7
12-29-2005, 10:00 PM
I have been researching in order to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into with installing a remote start and alarm system in my 99 GAGT. Problem comes here -- I purchased a passlock bypass module from ebay and it came with instructions that label the 99 Grand Am as having Passlock III. Everyone here talks about II. The only thing I've heard about III is that it requires a chip in the key...If that is the case, would the key I had cut by a regular shop not be able to start the car (or at least set off the passlock system).

The reason I need to know is that the unit works for both, but is wired differently. Which one is it? May sound like a stupid q, but I just want to make sure before I start hackin' away at the ol' electrical system. Thanx.

iceman
12-29-2005, 10:21 PM
2, nothing in they key

Baundy06
12-29-2005, 10:24 PM
Really? Well you guys have proven to me that dealerships are douche's. Last year when my car wouldnt start no matter how long i waited to turn it on and such the dealership told me that my car had an error where it wasnt reading the chip in my key right... if i remember correctly they charged us a little money to "reprogram" it... humm...

Ajaxus
12-29-2005, 10:32 PM
hm, they might have a record of that on file on a computer, go back with a bs story and have them look up the visit and tell you what was done to the car. then slap them if either a) they repeat that story or b)they have something else logged in that wasnt done.

iceman
12-29-2005, 10:58 PM
The passlock relearn procedure just involves attempting to start the car, then it won't start... and leave the ignition on for 10 minutes, then off for 30 seconds, then voila. if they charged you for that, that's BS.

Zique7
12-30-2005, 12:16 AM
thanx iceman, I figured as much already, but wanted the second opinion. Much appreciated!!!