Leaking in front and rear floorboards [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Leaking in front and rear floorboards

pcr
01-03-2006, 10:25 AM
After being out in the rain, there will be water in the front and back passenger side floorboards. We have searched the car over to try and determine where it is coming from. Nothing else is wet to indicate this. The only water is directly in the floor. Has anyone else had this problem or known of someone who does?
Thanks!

Slim
01-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Do you have a moonroof? It might be plugged drain tubes. Or possibly plugged drain holes in the doors. Also, have you check the weatherstripping all around the doors?

KrustyTC
01-03-2006, 02:35 PM
If I park my 2000 GAGT pointing uphill when it rains, I get water on the passenger side rear floor. I think it's the weatherstripping around the door. As long as I park it pointing downhill it's fine. That's what makes me think it's the door seal and not the moonroof. If it was the moonroof drains I don't think it would matter which way it's parked.

later,
KrustyTC

Slim
01-04-2006, 05:59 AM
If you only get it when you park uphill, it's the moonroof. I had the same problem. Have the drain tubes checked. Ther rear ones might be too short, broken or plugged.

nascarnate326
01-04-2006, 10:44 AM
I have a similar problem. When it rains water is somehow getting into my fuse panel on the passenger side. My fog relay makes tons of noise and i had to take the fuse out. What in the world is going on? I dont have a sun roof, all my seals apear to be in great shape. Are these cars known for having holes in the firewall or something? Im thinking it has to be that because there is a palen cover that should protect it from getting in that way. Any advice will help.

bigbenSC
01-04-2006, 03:07 PM
^ I bet it's your windshield seal breaking down. After 7 years I could see it happening.

mikep1987
01-04-2006, 03:10 PM
About the water on the passenger front and rear floor. In mine the plastic sheet protective cover that goes between the door panel and the door itself isn't properly sealed. When it rains any water that gets in the door leaks from the bottom of my interior doorpanel. It then collects on the bottom weatherstripping and eventually it starts following the little ridge depending on what slope the car is on. Once it reaches the end it leaks down under the plastic trim and onto the floor. After a big rainfall or a carwash open your passenger door, see if there is a little puddle on top of the rubber strip or if any water is visibly coming down from behind the door panel. There is a factory TSB out on this issue and it appears to be a common problem with early GA's and Aleros. When the weather warms up I plan to take it all aprt and fix it.

nascarnate326
01-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys, any ideas on what it costs to have a window taken out and put back in? Is it worth fixing. Im really thinking a different car would be better. Thanks though

andrewe77
01-05-2006, 08:59 PM
About the water on the passenger front and rear floor. In mine the plastic sheet protective cover that goes between the door panel and the door itself isn't properly sealed. When it rains any water that gets in the door leaks from the bottom of my interior doorpanel. It then collects on the bottom weatherstripping and eventually it starts following the little ridge depending on what slope the car is on. Once it reaches the end it leaks down under the plastic trim and onto the floor. After a big rainfall or a carwash open your passenger door, see if there is a little puddle on top of the rubber strip or if any water is visibly coming down from behind the door panel. There is a factory TSB out on this issue and it appears to be a common problem with early GA's and Aleros. When the weather warms up I plan to take it all aprt and fix it.

Which TSB is it?

AaronGTR
01-06-2006, 11:39 AM
I don't remember the TSB # but I remember the problem. My moms intrigue had the same problem. Replace the plastic sheet behind the door panel with the new model and that should solve the problem.

Malibu66
01-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Mikep1987 is correct about the door. Mine has been leaking for years. The dealer stopped it for about a while by using a different glue to hold on the plastic sheild, but it is now leaking again on the passanger side. The water gets into the car where the front kickplate overlaps the back kickplate. It only leaks when the passanger side of the car is higher than the drivers side. I'm going to check the drainage of the door in the spring.

O1GAGT
02-01-2006, 11:10 PM
I have found that I have water on the rear passanger side as well, I got to looking around under the car and guess what..... there is a plug pretty much directly under where the wet spot is at. I plan on tapping the plug flat with a hammer and then sealing it with a can of rubberized undercoating. If that doesn't fix it then I will try the other things suggested.

pontiacman99
02-02-2006, 08:21 AM
I had water under my backseat the body shop told me a seam or somthing like that had started to leak.

eBandit
02-02-2006, 05:47 PM

Sounds like what mine might be doing every great once in awhile. I look all over and there seems to be no indication of where it was coming from, except a small drop or two on the inside rocker panel area or the plastic trim.