alignment question and for $430+??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : alignment question and for $430+???

magyver
01-03-2006, 02:45 PM
ok, so i had an ate up tire.. so i took it in for an alignment.. well, they said they cant align it cause the inner tie rod end is bad.. but it dosent move at all when i jack up the wheel.. that part is $100+ and they said they may need some "off set bolts for adjustment" WTF? oh, those bolts are $30 a piece and needs two of them possibly.. but is that normal? or what? cause i kinda feel like there yankin my chain.. total for an alignment is gonna be $433.85.. is that me bending over?

iceman
01-03-2006, 02:52 PM
4 wheel alignment around here is 65 bucks.. don't know about all that other crap you have. get another estimate

GRocks10
01-03-2006, 04:01 PM
From what you described.. and for that price, they are yanking your chain quite abit!

Get ready batter, batter.. here batter batter!

I went with my friend recently ( he has a Malibu ) for an oil change which cost $24.99, plus $49.99 for the alignment along with the tires being balanced.. total with tax was about $83ish.

Hodge
01-03-2006, 04:27 PM
yeah that doesn't sound normal. I had the same problem. Went in for an alignment and they said right tie rod was shot, and i went to another place got it checked out as well. Sure enough the tie rod was $100 and 4 wheel alignment was $65

magyver
01-03-2006, 04:58 PM
well, you guys suck, cheapest around here for an alin is 75, and thats at a dealer ship! i think the guys on crack.. im pretty mechanical and i push and pull on that tire and yeah it moves, but so does the steering wheel.. theres no slop in it that i can tell..

but they also told me my LIM is prolly what is causing an slow oil drip on her.. so, i gotta get that back to the place i just had that fixed almost a year ago.. i got 20 days till that 1 year warranty is up... i hope thats what it is and not the main seal.. so i guess i'll have them align it while its there...

XMBlackGT1
01-03-2006, 08:29 PM
well, you guys suck, cheapest around here for an alin is 75, and thats at a dealer ship! i think the guys on crack.. im pretty mechanical and i push and pull on that tire and yeah it moves, but so does the steering wheel.. theres no slop in it that i can tell..

but they also told me my LIM is prolly what is causing an slow oil drip on her.. so, i gotta get that back to the place i just had that fixed almost a year ago.. i got 20 days till that 1 year warranty is up... i hope thats what it is and not the main seal.. so i guess i'll have them align it while its there...

Jeez- where did you take it for that expensive alignment? Mine needs one too- I'm not going where you did though...

cmoore
01-04-2006, 05:01 AM
Don't feel too bad. Just took my 2002 GAGT with 47K miles in for safety check as I am buying it at the end of the lease. Needed almost $1700 in front end work. New steering rack, couple of tie rods and alignment. Also have to buy new windshield for $250. Don;t really care about windshield but needing that much front end work really pi$$ed me off. Complained to GM and they did nothing. Dealer agreed to pay for half.

Slim
01-04-2006, 06:24 AM
Don't feel too bad. Just took my 2002 GAGT with 47K miles in for safety check as I am buying it at the end of the lease. Needed almost $1700 in front end work. New steering rack, couple of tie rods and alignment. Also have to buy new windshield for $250. Don;t really care about windshield but needing that much front end work really pi$$ed me off. Complained to GM and they did nothing. Dealer agreed to pay for half.

Man... That's nuts!! The '97 Golf I just bought didn't even need that much work on it and it has 159K on it.

My lease is up in 5 weeks and I can't wait to get rid of my car.

On topic... Sounds like you're getting hosed on the prices and pieces necessary to get that alignment done.

digitalballz
01-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Alignment aroumd here would run you about $40 bucks. Inner tie rod if it is bad maybe about $100 to have them install it. I dont know how much they go for on our cars. They should be able to align it even if the inner is bad. The outer is the adjustment on every car I've seen. Although were they getting you the tire and mounting/balancing it??

digitalballz
01-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Ok I forgot the paper I had it written down on at work. But if you were to come in to the shop i work at it would cost you around $210 for an inner tie rod, and an alignment. The inner tie rod from the parts place down the street costs the customer $148 bucks just for the part. I can get the part for I think they said $70, and an alignment at a different place if you were to go yourself is $40. so you'd be lookin at the cheapest $110 bucks. Now I dont know what kind of tire you would want so I dont know how much that would be.

cavingman
01-06-2006, 05:42 PM
ok, so i had an ate up tire.. so i took it in for an alignment.. well, they said they cant align it cause the inner tie rod end is bad.. but it dosent move at all when i jack up the wheel..

you checked left to right movement right? the smallest amount of play can cause very poor alignments... and I bet it was the inner or outter edge of the tire that was eaten up right? good sign of a bad tie rod end

that part is $100+ and they said they may need some "off set bolts for adjustment" WTF? oh, those bolts are $30 a piece and needs two of them possibly..

Also known as a shim kit. you can only adjust front and rear camber so much with normal struts. When installed, these "off-set bolts" allows a much wider range of movement for the strut to be adjusted.

but is that normal? or what? cause i kinda feel like there yankin my chain.. total for an alignment is gonna be $433.85.. is that me bending over?

I'm not sure on the price in total, but considering what has to be done, its close.
Alignment where i work is 70. Tie-rod is prolly close to 50 or 60. The off-set bolts are what's gonna screw you. You actually have to remove each strut, bore out the mounting hole for the strut and re-install with the new nuts and bolts. The labor will be teh pownage.

They should be able to align it even if the inner is bad. The outer is the adjustment on every car I've seen.

whats the point of aligning it if the inner is bad? Inner tie rod will chew up both tires over time. It's doesnt matter where the adjustment is, if theres play in the wheel, the wheel isnt going to be straight and your going to have problems.

SikMindz
04-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Digging an old thread up.

So I got new tires today and was hoping that my old tires getting eaten up on the outside was just an alignment prob. Lo and behold, the inner and outer tie rod ends need to be replaced. Got quoted $135 for parts and $80 for labor. Should I just do it there or try and wrench it myself? Keep in mind I've never dealt with this type of replacement...ever.

Discuss.

bigtard
04-08-2006, 08:24 PM
Don't feel too bad. Just took my 2002 GAGT with 47K miles in for safety check as I am buying it at the end of the lease. Needed almost $1700 in front end work.

It seems the front ends on Grand Ams are absolute junk. Mine had a bunch of problems around 95,000 miles.

Panacea
04-08-2006, 09:48 PM
I had to have one of my tie rods replaced. Seems like it's becoming a common issue.

Hodge
04-10-2006, 07:42 PM
I already had one of my tie rods changed... and personally i've never done a tie rod myself or watched someone, but it really doesnt' seem that hard. I got quote for 100 bucks installed for just 1, so it's a good deal. Might wanna just attempt it on your own. good learning expirence.

O1GAGT
04-12-2006, 11:43 AM
I have had the steering rack replaced, tie rod ends, and I think my ball joints need replaced soon. All under 40K miles!!!

brsexton
04-12-2006, 04:55 PM
What does your car do when the steering rack needs to be replaced?

lvemy3100
04-13-2006, 04:57 PM
didnt have to but at ~88,500 when i lowered my car i changed the outer tie rod ends cost me 80 for parts and 50 for the install of both and a 4 wheel alignment cost me another 50.... all at "Car X"

(springs and struts were installed by me for free :) )

00blackGT
07-06-2006, 12:20 AM
Yea pretty sure i just got my car out of the dealer for a new power streeing pump (4th one) new rack and pinon, Tie rods, alignment, every hose replaced for the streeing.... That all? Cant remember.....But now its going back cuz it sounds like the front end is about to fall out.