Automotive 2 sided tape. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Automotive 2 sided tape.

PACE
01-04-2006, 11:52 AM
What is the strongest double sided tape to use on side skirts? I have been using 3M that has a 5lb. per square inch and it works ok but I did have the top of one of my SC/T side skirts pop off so I'm wondering if there is something out there that people use that is stronger.....

:attention

95-GT
01-04-2006, 12:25 PM
I lost my front Ford badge in a touchless carwash one day, and tried the same #m stuff as you. But of course, over the summer washes, it fell off again. So if you do find something that holds, please tell me.

02andahalfgt
01-04-2006, 04:51 PM
the top of one of my SC/T side skirts pop off so

Drivers side, front? lol Mine pops off when the weather warms up. Let us know if you find anything!

Lab Rat
01-06-2006, 06:20 AM
The drivers side rib on my SE was loose and flapping in the wind. I tried 2 different tapes before I used epoxy. Hasn't come loose yet. It's been a year.

coupe
01-06-2006, 06:50 AM
Well what does GM use? Is there a way to find out what they use?

Roush GT
01-06-2006, 07:04 AM
get some kind of epoxy/glue. although, my bodyship guy did say there was a new tape out. shrug

PACE
01-07-2006, 11:26 AM
What epoxy do you guys use????

puckyou
01-07-2006, 11:38 AM
My rear passenger side pops off also. I tried the new 3M two-sided tape but it popped anyways. I am going to go epoxy also with some tape to hold it in place while the epoxy dries. With the right epoxy you should not need too much of it.

As PACE stated, anyone with some good epoxy recommendations please let us know.

Panacea
01-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Wow, long time no see Pace! Welcome back. As for tape, you're probably using the Heavy Duty exterior mounting tape. That is good, but 3M makes a tape specifically for body molding applications. You may be able to get it at an Auto Parts store, or possibly a body shop.

*Shudders* at the thought of using epoxy.

SilverEcstasy
01-07-2006, 08:59 PM
3M Two-Stage epoxy and gun applicator= SC/T kit 0 -- Owner 1

GrandIllusion
01-07-2006, 09:24 PM
body shops use 3m.
did u use a de-greaser when u cleaned the surfaces to put the tape on. u must clean them good and then whipe them clean from any drying resin like a cloudy film.
if u use an epoxy then there is no chance they will ever come off so if u wanna go for the clean "alero" look. then ur screwed. make sure u weigh ur thoughts on using a epoxy. i used 3m on my side skirts but i also plan to mold my door panels.

hope that helps. and as for double sided tape and any kind of auto **** stay away from autozone and advance. go to a body shop supplier.

Q? well who supplies the shops go to a shop and ask them.

puckyou
01-08-2006, 09:15 PM
I wouldn't use the epoxy on the whole piece just in spots where the tape continues to peel away. The 3M tape I use is the newest stuff. Used 3M cleaner to make sure the kit and body panel were spotless. Pressed them together and even added foce with a 2x4 and a tree. But to no avail they still come apart after a couple of weeks. So with a little expoy and tape the piece should hold for good since the tape would hold it long enough for the epoxy to setup.