Altenator Pulley Removal [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Altenator Pulley Removal

RODAN
01-04-2006, 08:05 PM
I was wondering if anybody has any idea how to remove the alternator pulley from our alternators? Thanks in advance.

Metallman56
01-04-2006, 08:34 PM
i have done it about 5 times. its really easy if you have a air wrench. otherwise i have no clue. also have a buddy hold it down for you.

good luck

iceman
01-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Yup, hit it with an impact gun.

AaronGTR
01-05-2006, 09:45 AM
You might damage the bearings with an impact gun though. The end of the alternator shaft has a hole for a #50 torx bit in it. You're supposed to use that and a rachet or breaker bar to hold the shaft and take the nut off with a box wrench. You could also hold the pulley with a strap wrench and take the nut off with a socket.

RODAN
01-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys the impact wrench worked effortlessly. What I needed to do was separate the two halves and see if I could get it to stop squealing. But I could not pry them apart. So I tried to smash the pieces back the way they were only to find out that it is a little stubborn to go all the way. My question is how do I smash the two haves back flush. I'm think the shaft has something to do with it. I got it reinstalled and the squeal is completely gone. Now the pulley kinda extends 1/4 in. out from the body and causes the belt to hang off the idler pulley by that much.

AaronGTR
01-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Try tapping it with a rubber mallet? IDK, when I took mine apart, I took it completely apart and took the insides out so I could wire brush the whole case and clear coat it. When I put it back together the flange was clean with no corrosion on it so it went together easy.