interesting tranny flush question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : interesting tranny flush question

j_yewchin
01-05-2006, 05:45 PM
i've got an idea, i thought i'd run it by a few of you.
i posted a gm diagram on how to check your tranny fluid level.
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40973
now, since i've seen 20 litres of dexron iii equivalent fluid for 29 cdn dollars at a certain store. couldn't one unplug the check plug, pour through as much fluid (slowly) as a person wanted to flush through and just catch everything that comes out? does the torque converter circulate fluid while in park/neutral? if so i think i found a relatively cheap way to flush out our transmissions if one has already done his/her filter recently and would just like some new fluid.
would this work? i dont think i'd be doing it any time soon, but the logic is there.
sorry if thats just one big speel of words, lol.

:gablack:

Metallman56
01-08-2006, 10:55 AM
boy that would be easy. i dont think it would work though. i doubt the fluid circulates when the car isnt moving. i could be wrong though. i dont know much about tranny fluid or transmissions for that matter.

on a side note in your p.m i forgot to tell you royal purple says not to put any added treatments in with the oil. i.e lucas or engine restore or anything. they say they have a specific mixture of chemicals and when you throw that in it screws that mixture up.

GrandAmGT1996
01-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Well, if it doesnt move while the car isnt moving..couldnt you just jack up the front enough that the front tires arent touching the ground (risky, but I think it would work) and then just put it in drive and let it idle. I dont know if this is a solution, just a risky thought. Not to ramble, but why did they get rid of the tranny fluid dipstick, because the '96-'98 models have them.

http://www.freewebs.com/uploadxangapics/GAFORUMedit.jpg Be kind, I have all my wires hidden now and there isnt any fender stripes on it.

Oh yeah, you wouldn't be able to check the fluid while its jacked up because it wouldnt be level.(Just a reminder, lol)

AaronGTR
01-08-2006, 01:01 PM
The trans fluid circulates any time the engine is running, not just while the car is moving. The torque converter and other internal parts in the trans hold a lot of fluid too so if you just tried pouring fluid thru it you'd miss a lot of contaminated fluid. You need a machine like the dealers use that power flush it. Also, most of the dirt and metal particles that build up in the trans over time get caught in the filter and also settle in the bottom of the trans pan. To do a proper flush you need to remove the pan and clean it out and change the filter.

j_yewchin
01-08-2006, 02:53 PM
i'm not sure why they got rid of the dipstick. hydramatic calls their trannies sealed on our cars i guess? i dropped my pan and changed the filter at about 70k. i'm thinking that since my extended warranty is up in another 10k i might as well get some new fluid in there. maybe it'll start slipping and i get a new tranny, hahah. the bottom of the pan was just SICK though, i'm surprised theres anything left after seeing all that wear material. maybe that would explain why the thing doesn't really pick up until i hit higher rpm's. so AaronGTR, you think that the transmission doesn't have enough pressure in park to circulate all the fluid well enough? the torque converter is the part i am most worried about getting all the fluid out. i think i'll buy that 20 litre bulk container and just pour the whole thing thru, hahah. 30 dollars + tax instead of 89.99 + tax. i'm a cheapo :D i think i'll give it a try this weekend sometime.

Malaclypse
01-08-2006, 05:02 PM
To replace all the fluid in the torque converter you basically have to remove it and drain it separately from the rest of the transmission. ALOT of trash stays in circulation within the converter. Its really hard to powerflush all of it out or to even remove it without taking the converter apart.

digitalballz
01-08-2006, 06:41 PM
The machine we use at work replaces 96% of the tranny fluid, so its a good flush. Its not cheap, but it works. If you do a pan drop, and filter every 30k or so you shouldnt have any problems. I did mine at 33k and am coming up on 54k so I think im gonna do it again soon.

j_yewchin
01-08-2006, 11:17 PM
yeah i've only done the filter once. im gonna do my home made flush this weekend sometime and do the filter again later on if i keep the car that long, thanks for the replies guys, i'll post back with any findings.

AaronGTR
01-09-2006, 10:53 AM
When I did my trans rebuild the clutch packs where very worn. The bottom of the pan was full of clutch material and they recommended I get a new converter so that I'd know it wasn't worn on the inside and it wouldn't contaminate the rest of the new trans. With better clutches now and doing more frequent fluid flushes it should be fine. I definitely recommend getting it flushed with the proper machine though. It's the only way to really know you're getting most of it out. Anything else is just a maybe.

j_yewchin
01-09-2006, 11:28 PM
i guess i'm stuck with the maybe :D i got 14L today. make some time saturday or somethin. i know this sounds weird, but i'm gonna overfill it JUST before the flush. get a little more pressure going. and yes a little foam, but the amount i'm flushing thru will take care of that. hopefully i'll be able to finance a different car soon anyways. wish me luck...with the driveway flush, hahah.

GrandAmGT1996
01-10-2006, 08:52 PM
good luck...and i hear you on the new car situation.

tenstrum
01-13-2006, 11:17 AM
I think i need to get my tranny fluid changed. I've got 95,000 miles and don't know if it has ever been done.
I definitely don't want to get it flushed. I'm afriad that will screw soemthing up with a tranny that has that many miles on it.
Any suggestions?

Mike Jung
01-13-2006, 06:49 PM
...i'm gonna overfill it JUST before the flush. get a little more pressure going....wish me luck...with the driveway flush, hahah.
I wouldn't recommend it.

If you build up too much pressure, you could blow something.
I think i need to get my tranny fluid changed. I've got 95,000 miles and don't know if it has ever been done.
I definitely don't want to get it flushed. I'm afriad that will screw soemthing up with a tranny that has that many miles on it.
Any suggestions?
So don't get it flushed.

Get them to drop the pan.
Drain & clean the fluid out.
Change the filter.
Put new pan gasket on.
& re-fill.

j_yewchin
01-15-2006, 04:06 AM
too late! i warmed up the car, added another 3 - 4 litres of fluid, undid the check plug. and kept flushing thru more fluid afterwards. i think it did end up circulating quite well. i don't recommend doing the overfull thing, especially not for more than a minute or two, i just wanted some extra pressure to circulate the fluid better. i used some motomaster canadian tire crap, but it said meets or exceeds dexron iii so i'm sure its fine. its dark stuff though. i put through a total of about 14.5 litres worth... my results are fairly good. smoother/faster shifts, a little quieter on the highway. even goes into drive a little faster than usual. i splurged and got some lubegard too. apparently its the only oem endorsed "additive" there is. i got some pictures for you guys. the 4L on the sink is the used fluid. and i found some weird spider eggs in my rusted out lower strut area, hahah. if anyone wants a high res pic let me know.

xxbackhillxx
01-15-2006, 09:56 AM
When I did my trans rebuild the clutch packs where very worn. The bottom of the pan was full of clutch material and they recommended I get a new converter so that I'd know it wasn't worn on the inside and it wouldn't contaminate the rest of the new trans. With better clutches now and doing more frequent fluid flushes it should be fine. I definitely recommend getting it flushed with the proper machine though. It's the only way to really know you're getting most of it out. Anything else is just a maybe.
Aaron, do you know which place nearby may do it for cheap?

Metallman56
01-26-2006, 09:58 PM
i finally got my tranny fluid changed with royal puprle max atf. when i floor it and it shifts from 1st to 2nd it is alot smoother. before it was like the tranny was having a hard time keeping up with the engine. well that is now fixed.

AaronGTR
01-27-2006, 08:35 AM
Aaron, do you know which place nearby may do it for cheap?

You mean a trans flush? I just took my grand prix to the dealership to have it done.

Of course, 5000 miles later my tranny went and I have to replace it anyway. :rolleyes: I'd never heard if doing a flush on a high mileage trans was bad or not, but I'm starting to think I should've just had it drained and new fluid and filter put in. But then again it does have 133,000 miles on it and from what I've been reading on clubGP the 4T60E doesn't usually last much longer than that without problems, so I guess it was due.

Never done a flush on the grand am, just had the whole thing rebuilt.

j_yewchin
01-27-2006, 08:36 PM
good to hear about the royal purple.
yeah my mom had a 98 buick regal with the 4t60, it had about 228000kms the pan was dropped replaced the filter and filled back up. it started shuddering on certain shifts a few months after that. i think it either didn't get enough fluid or didn't have enough friction with the new fluid. i think they are pretty good tranny's otherwise. have a good weekend guys.

nate2023
06-21-2007, 01:00 PM
I had an old 94 Grand Prix and i LOVED that transmission, never missed a beat and it had about 220k miles on it, it was a beater car so for the entire time i've had it i only would top the tranny off :) then i got the infamous LIM blowout and my engine overheated and cracked the head, first car i've had where the tranny lasted longer than the motor

stillriza
06-21-2007, 02:38 PM
I'd never heard if doing a flush on a high mileage trans was bad or not, but I'm starting to think I should've just had it drained and new fluid and filter put in.

i am with you on that. I still don't know wether its a good idea or not. I hear both sides of the story from several people but don't know which to go with.

I have 67000km on my GA atm and it has never had a tranny flush or fluid changed.

I was thinking about it as my shifts are kind of hard but don't know what to go with. So I gather its a good idea to do an entire flush on a lower mileage car and just change the fluid/filter on higher mileage..?

pyro
06-21-2007, 02:59 PM
definately DO NOT FLUSH a high milage tranny. always change fluid/filter as the sediment fills in gaps/cracks etc. that build up over time.

drumking1721
08-19-2007, 12:52 AM
call me a retard,but i need pics,iim doing this next week and im still unclear of how to change the fluid/fiilter

silvercoupe
08-22-2007, 08:39 AM
:stupid: :D jk. get a haynes manual,, they have step by step with pictures.. basically unbolt.drain, take out filter, take out gasket, put new gasket, new filter, close, fill.