Is it worth the trade price? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth the trade price?

Dan30thZ28
01-06-2006, 06:08 AM
Hi,
I have a 2001 Grand Am GT with 77k miles on it. It is a fully loaded vehicle except it does not have leather or GT1 options. It has new brakes, and tires, SLP catback w/ractive tips, and new tires. I'm being offered $6000 as a trade for the vehicle. If it's better for me to sell it on my own, how much more could I get for it reallistically? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sincerely,

iceman
01-06-2006, 06:16 AM
Check NADA and KBB and see what the fair price is.... but also, tell me who is going to give you 6k for that car! Because I'll bring mine there :)

Dan30thZ28
01-06-2006, 06:18 AM
Hey,
NADA is saying $8k, and so is KBB for trade in. I wanted to know that, even though it is below the trade in price they're saying, is it good? Or should I still sell it on my own, and if so, how much could I realistically? Thanks for help.

Sincerely,

coupe
01-06-2006, 06:57 AM
Wow $8K?

atc3434
01-06-2006, 07:55 AM
I think they are a touch low, but its not bad.

Dan30thZ28
01-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Anyone else have any thoughts?

GrahamKracka
01-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Hey,
NADA is saying $8k, and so is KBB for trade in. I wanted to know that, even though it is below the trade in price they're saying, is it good? Or should I still sell it on my own, and if so, how much could I realistically? Thanks for help.

Sincerely,

I call BS on that one

KBB rated my 02 GA with 45k at $7k

your 01 should go for around 5500 with kbb................ $6k is high

rockfan0005
01-06-2006, 08:28 AM
I agree, I would trade it in. Selling it privately would not only be a big pain in the butt but you probably won't get much if any more money for it. Go for it.

GrahamKracka
01-06-2006, 08:35 AM
it all depends if you still owe anything on it

crazypontiac03
01-06-2006, 09:10 AM
They may not be giving you 7k for it. What are u trying to buy to replace the GA?
Alot of time'a what they will do, is give u a higher Trade in Value then its worth and actaully u will be paying more for the new car,because they wont lower the price all that much.

Black01gt1
01-06-2006, 09:50 AM
I was offered $7,000 trade for my '01 GT with 27,000 miles...I got them up to $7,500 but then I decided to keep it rather than go with something bigger for now just for some comparison for you.

nascarnate326
01-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Id trade that car quickly. Mite want to ask for more but I personally think 6k is pretty good. Take it and run.

Hurricane
01-06-2006, 11:26 AM
I have a '00 GT with 100,000 km (~62,000 mi) and the trade in value is $7,200 CDN max (~6,200).

Keep in mind the KBB lists used car PURCHASE price, not trade in value. It's what you would expect to pay for the car. Dealers obviously have to make some money on their trade ins so will definitely won't offer you the KBB value.

GTLUVA
01-06-2006, 11:33 AM
I traded in my car at got 10,500 for it. Then they sold it to somebody last Friday for 12,900

GrahamKracka
01-06-2006, 12:35 PM
you also payed STICKER (27k) for your g6 GTP...when dealerships have them marked down a few $k

Dan30thZ28
01-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Hey everyone,
Well, I guess it's a 'good' price, because I see your values ranging from below the trade value I've been offered to the a value above mine. My car is paid off. The car I'm trading is a 2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed, and I'm getting it for the fuel savings, because the car isn't fast by any means. I'm commuting 80 miles a day (round trip), and the fuel savings matter more than the performance, since I'm saving for a house. Thanks for your support and input, if I'm given $6k for it, I'll take it.

Sincerely,

GTLUVA
01-06-2006, 02:04 PM
you also payed STICKER (27k) for your g6 GTP...when dealerships have them marked down a few $k

My sticker on the GTP was $28 something ha! It costed sooo much because I wanted every option onstar, sideairbags, enginge block heater. I got $400 off for the Red Tag Bonus I could of gotten more but I took the 3.9% for 60 months instead of more cash back.

DrFabulous
01-06-2006, 02:21 PM
They aren't giving you 6k for it if you're buying another car from them. They're telling you 6, but they're jacking the price of the Jetta then. Unless you got them to agree on 6k BEFORE you mentioned buying something else from them, they're probably lying to you. Trust me. I was looking at a G6 about a month ago, and the salesman was like "if you want to trade your Grand Am in, we could give you around 8k for it".... which was a lie, because the car's only worth 5k.

Dan30thZ28
01-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Hi,
The price was negotiated before we talked about a trade. I already knocked about 3k off what they were asking, so I can't complain. Like I said, if they give me 6k, I'm doing it, because I got like 5500 at KBB.

Mike Jung
01-06-2006, 05:54 PM
...The car I'm trading is a 2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed...
Enjoy the expensive 'synthetic' motor oil changes that are required with the VW.
(Castrol Syntec 5W40 oil from Belgium).
IMO, I would use Mobil Delvac 1 (same as Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W40) heavy duty synthetic motor oil.

Not sure what years this applies to:
That the diesel engine needed a rubber timing belt change every 60K km / 37.2K miles.
The newer diesel engines changed that need.

GrahamKracka
01-06-2006, 06:01 PM
My sticker on the GTP was $28 something ha! It costed sooo much because I wanted every option onstar, sideairbags, enginge block heater. I got $400 off for the Red Tag Bonus I could of gotten more but I took the 3.9% for 60 months instead of more cash back.

you got had by one of the oldest dealer tricks in the book...they gave you a high trade and still made you pay full price:applause:

Mike Jung
01-06-2006, 06:13 PM
IMO, I would of taken the best cash price & gotten a higher interest rate loan.
& pay it off faster.

I wonder what the 'effective interest rate' really is ?
Factoring in what she could of gotten for a cash price & the going loan rates vs what she'll be paying.

Dan30thZ28
01-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Hey,
My wife already called a local VW dealer (not selling us the car), and the told me that Mobil 1 (which I've been using in the Grand Am, is fine for their TDI's and they don't need a specific brand, just the correct weight and viscosity. I'd like to thank everyone for their responses, they've been really helpful to me. I'll let you all know what happens after I come back from the dealer tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Mike Jung
01-06-2006, 10:13 PM
...My wife already called a local VW dealer (not selling us the car), and the told me that Mobil 1 (which I've been using in the Grand Am, is fine for their TDI's and they don't need a specific brand, just the correct weight and viscosity...
Omg, :banghead

THAT IS SO INCORRECT!

I can't believe that the VW dealer has not learned yet.
Especially, after the 1.8T incident in North America.
(My buddy's sister learned the hard way. Blowing a turbo in her used Audi A4 1.8T Quatto. The local Audi/VW dealers were using Castrol GTX oil & not the proper synthetic Syntec oil.)

Check out what VW in Germany requires for that TDI engine.

(IIRC) You must use a synthetic oil that is VW 505.00 spec'd !

VW/Audi prefers Castrol.
Castrol Syntec oils that meet that spec are:
(Made in Germany) Castrol Syntec 0W-30 that is available at some large AutoZones.

(Originally Made in Belgium, now also made/blended in the US) Castrol Syntec 5W-40 oil that is what all North American VW/Audi dealers should be using (not counting the Audi R-series cars)

As for Mobil 1 oils:
Mobil Delvac 1 heavy duty synthetic motor oil (which is not VW rated, but is like the best diesel synthetic motor oil on the market here that we know of.)
If it is rated for a 18-wheeler transport truck diesel engines; I'm sure it is ok for your TDI.

Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-40 oil (that is just re-label/re-bottled in consumer quart size bottles of Mobil Delvac 1 oil)

Mobil 1 0W-40 oil (that is VW 505.00 rated)

(& no the Mobil 1 that you use in the GA is not ok for the TDI; unless you are using one of the above mentioned oils)

Of all the oils mentioned above:
Only the Mobil Delvac 1 / Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-40 oil are really made specifically for diesel engines.

Dan30thZ28
01-07-2006, 07:22 AM
Hi,
I'm used to the price of synthetic oil changes, so if it needs the truck/suv synth, then I'll put that in it. The point is, I've already been paying for synthetic oil changes for my grand am, so continuing to pay for it isn't a big deal. Again, thanks for all the responses, and I'll let me you all know what happens at the dealer today.

Sincerely,

crazypontiac03
01-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Hey everyone,
Well, I guess it's a 'good' price, because I see your values ranging from below the trade value I've been offered to the a value above mine. My car is paid off. The car I'm trading is a 2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed, and I'm getting it for the fuel savings, because the car isn't fast by any means. I'm commuting 80 miles a day (round trip), and the fuel savings matter more than the performance, since I'm saving for a house. Thanks for your support and input, if I'm given $6k for it, I'll take it.

Sincerely,

I feel the pain.. Sold my GA bought a Truck and now im looking at house's that are about 45 min's away one way... Here i come 4 Banger.

Jason E
01-07-2006, 10:52 AM
If you already negotiated down $3k on the price of the car, then you did it right :) $6k seems good at that point. I've been selling Pontiacs for 5 years now, and if that car was on my lot, I'd probably sell it for around $6,500 - $7,000...so $6k on a trade is very good...nice work!

Dan30thZ28
01-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Jason,
The Grand Am is really clean, and it did have a little bit of damage to the right rear quarter, even so, the car was in such good overall shape that they still gave me $6k for the car. I drove the Jetta home tonight, about 200 miles from Maryland to here, and it used a 1/4 tank. It supposed to get 42+ MPG, and that's the main reason I had to trade. It has a lot more power with the 5-speed than I expected. I also have a 2yr/24000 mile warranty on it (VW Warranty). I'm really happy with it! :0) I also have a 30th Anniversary Z, is yours a 30th Anniversary with the stripes on it too? Just curious. Take care and thanks for your input and to everyone else's too.

Sincerely,

Plug
01-08-2006, 12:36 AM
Not sure what years this applies to:
That the diesel engine needed a rubber timing belt change every 60K km / 37.2K miles.
The newer diesel engines changed that need.

I can attest to that it. The dealer wanted to charge my mom $1100 for a timing belt on a diesel 2003 Golf which VW says needs changing every 60,000.

Before you by that diesel get the service dept to give you a heads up on every routine maitenance issue on the car you want to buy. It's time not wasted.:balla:

Dan30thZ28
01-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Plug,
I know about the timing belt. The thing is, a dealer out here will do the belt, the water pump, and coolant flush for around $500.00. The only problem with this car, as with any European car, is that maintainance is expensive. But, if it doesn't break down very often, (like my GA did), then it will offset that cost as well.

action
01-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Take the money and run. Base line is if you feel comfortable with the price for the new car go for it, dont matter what some think.

The VW is so much nicer then the GA in so many ways from fit and finish to quality of materials.

With regard to oil changes, the VW can go over twice the interval of a car running dino oil, so oil changes over the course of a year are no more expensive.

The timing belt is no different then many other cars with rubber timing belts, I think the interval for that year is 100k.

Check out www.tdiclub.com for all your diesel needs!!!

You'll love getting 1000-1200 kms per tank of fuel too.

Dan30thZ28
01-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Action,
Thanks! I've already gotten over 400 miles in the TDI Jetta and I still have about 2/3 of a tank to go! I can't wait to see how it does for a whole tank and then to calculate the mileage. Thanks again. I got the 6k for the GAGT when I traded too.

GTPguy99
01-11-2006, 09:12 AM

So you still have not found that cliff yet huh?
:rolleyes: :tool2: *focktard* :face: :cook: :clueless: :attention :banned: :boogie: :applause: