Rear Wheel Rattle [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel Rattle

Kodeblue
01-06-2006, 07:41 PM
I having been hearing a rattle coming from the passenger side rear of the car for awhile and could not find where it was coming from. Today, I grabbed the wheen from top to bottom and rocked it to see if it moved at all and when I did, I could hear like a knocking sound. What does this mean? ALso, when I did that that, i could see the boot around the shock move slightly.

action
01-10-2006, 01:36 PM
It means that you have found, like I recently have, that these POS like to fall apart rapidly with age!!!!

Seriously though, it could be bushings in the trailing arms, could be a bad wheel bearing-but youd hear a hum from that when driving. My car clunks very bad, I'm sure its the rear sway bar mounts making all the noise.

Exodus
01-10-2006, 02:39 PM
I can join the club as well. Action your right, these cars do not age gracefully.

89yotarollagts
01-10-2006, 02:45 PM
^^ true mine clunks really bad when the ABS kicks in

eaglesrealm
09-21-2006, 08:19 PM
I having been hearing a rattle coming from the passenger side rear of the car for awhile and could not find where it was coming from. Today, I grabbed the wheen from top to bottom and rocked it to see if it moved at all and when I did, I could hear like a knocking sound. What does this mean? ALso, when I did that that, i could see the boot around the shock move slightly.

Sorry to dig this old thread up, but it's exactly my problem that I now have. I have been fighting this rattle for weeks now, with it sounding like it was coming from the rear passenger area. I tore half my car apart looking for something to be loose. I checked the doors to make sure they were firm, the trunk, spare tire, etc. I finally had my wife drive and I sat in the back. Only then did I notice it was coming from against the wheel well.

Sure enough, I can pull and push the wheel back and forth on the top only a great deal. Side to side is firm. I suspected the wheel bearing, but had since ruled that out. After getting everything off, it had no play in it at all. I put the wheel back on and could still duplicate the problem. I then noticed that the spring and shock assembly (is there a better name for it?!) had the problem. Specifically, the shock inside was moving back and forth making a clunking sound. This would explain why my wheel would move, since the wheel hub assy is connected and help in place form with that shock?!

That looks like a PITA job to do. Anyone else have this problem? If so, did you fix it, or have it fixed?

TIA!
Chris

eaglesrealm
09-23-2006, 09:06 PM
I looked at it again and concluded that the strut mounts on both rear wheels were shot and allowing the strut assy to move and rattle against the vehicle.

In the end, both rear strut mounts had broken bushings. The bushings had seperated from the mount and worn the hole very large, allowing for much float.
Since the shocks were also shot and out of gas, I went ahead and replaced both rear struts and both rear strut mounts.

Damage = $280 (about $70 per item) plus 2 hours max labor going slow.

99GTCoupe
09-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Yup, good going with the fix :)

I plan to do that to both my rear (only noise comes from drivers side) using a friend and two of the spring compressors so I should be good later next week :)
Just wondering how much you paid for your struts and mounts? My struts should have another 20k left on them, so just doing the mounts, and they are $40 ar Murray's. :)