Need some advice - Dead trans. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice - Dead trans.

Static
01-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Unfortunately for me my 2000GT has been have a lot of problems lately... For the past few months I have had a nasty coolant leak, I just kept refilling the reservoir until I had the means to get the problem checked out... Turned out the LIM was leaking - no big shock... Took the car to the local Pontiac dealer, AutoCity, had a diagnostic performed. Had a whole slew of problems, primarily the leaky LIM, a slight misfire due to old/burnt plugs/wires and a something else I don't remember... The total cost, including a tranny flush and a few other things, came out a few bucks over 2K.

The night I got the car back from AutoCity, I had to hop on the highway to pick someone up... I got on the throttle from about 40ish and the car started to rev like it was in neutral, damn quick, and provided a little kick, something that had never happened before. Well crap like this kept happening in 3rd gear, and to a lesser degree in 2nd. Then one night about 12 days after getting the car back I was out driving and around halfway through the night the car stopped shifting out of 2nd gear...

Took the car back to Pontiac asked them to check the trans fluid level, they gave me a lot of crap about that, then I had a tech drive the car... They put it up to check it out and they said they found a bunch of debris in the pan and that the unit was failing from normal wear and tear. I wasn't overly surprised to hear that.

My problem is this, the trans was basically just fine, VERY little slippage, till I got the car back - they should have told me the unit was going bad then when they flushed the unit - they stated it was fine... That information would have definitely affected my decision to have all that engine work done...

So now I'm stuck with this problem... Still paying the car off, just wasted all those bills on the engine last month, and now the tranny is dead... Don't take this as me whining or looking for sympathy, I'm not. I know I've driven the car to the state it's in... Just looking for advice on where I should go from here...

Should I replace the automatic completely? Try and rebuild this one - if so what about beefing it up? What kind of costs would I be looking at for this sorta thing... Should I try and sell the car or trade it in..? How much more expensive would it be to replace the auto with a 5-spd..? What about throwing a trans from the GTP, i think the 4t65(e or hd or whatever)..?

Thanks for reading, and any advice anyone has...