Ok mechanics....figure this one out [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ok mechanics....figure this one out

eric99gt
01-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Here's how it started. My sisters car was leaking coolant in to the oil. I proceeded to change the LIM gasket. Put all back together and running fine for about 100 miles. At this point and time she developed a fuel leak. Damn. I take it back apart and pull the one line off the fuel rail. There's no o-ring on there but I swear I put one on. Just to be sure I took of the Fuel pressure regulator and the other line and hooked an air hose up to the schrader valve. As I start putting some air through there the O-ring blows out the other side. Somehow the o-ring got sucked off the line which was odd in it's own right, but that's not the problem at the moment. I put another O-ring on there and got it all back together. Well another problem arises, alternator is bad. I go and replace that. Car runs fine for about 20 mins as I drive around. Get it back to the garage and shut it off, and a bit later go to start it back up. Now to the fun stuff, starts right up, shuts off almost instantly. Try again, Starts right up, shuts off. So I turn the key too off. As I do this I hear the starter start to crank. Whenever the key is in the off position now the starter keeps turning. As soon as I turn it to any other position it's fine except for the not staying running part. Now it's your turn. Any ideas? Also to note, the car's a 97 GA with the 3100.

digitalballz
01-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Possibly a bad ground somewhere. Maybe to your pcm or bcm.

iceman
01-10-2006, 06:43 PM
97's don't have BCMs.

Eric I would double check your work... that's just weird. Something came loose, start at the starter/solenoid.

eric99gt
01-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Never touched the starter seth. Only think I could think of is maybe the fuel that was leaking got in to the starter.

Lab Rat
01-11-2006, 07:35 AM
I read this yesterday and was like WTF. You must have connected the "starter" wire from the ignition to the "off" wire. When I pulled the wires for the remote start I found the ignition had a wire for all 4 key positions. So if you did not disconnect/reconnect the ignition wires then you have a short between those two wires. (that's my best guess). That start wire is the ONLY connection between the battery and starter so therefore it almost has to be it. Now I say almost cause the GA is so weird that maybe the PCM is causing the prob. Good luck.

95-GT
01-11-2006, 08:37 AM
The flux capacitor is bad.

Or there is a bad ground which was already mentioned.

eric99gt
01-17-2006, 08:36 PM
actually no....it's all much worse than that. I guess when the UIM was being tightened back down the hot wire from the alternator got crimped in between. Tons of things fried. Almost fixed but I need a PCM. Anyone know where I can get a PCM for a 1997 GA 3100?

freeze12
01-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Try here to locate a PCM....

http://car-part.com/index.htm