Wheel Bearing / Wheel Hub Assembly [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bearing / Wheel Hub Assembly

vin1978
01-13-2006, 08:55 AM
Today I learned that my wheel bearing is starting to go. Can someone clear something up for me. Is the "Wheel Bearing" part of the "Wheel Hub Assembly?" Thanks..

tenspeed
01-13-2006, 09:48 AM
They could be. In the 99+ GA's, the wheel bearing and the ABS sensor are in one unit. That might be refered to as a Wheel Hub Assembly.

It sounds like a item quoted from a repair slip. Is your bearing making noise when turning?

vin1978
01-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Mine is a 2001 GAGT.... Does that help?

pushnfords
01-15-2006, 11:19 PM
On most newer front wheel drive cars the wheel bearings are part of a hub assembly. I replaced one on a 2000 Grand Prix and it had the ABS sensor built into it. It ran about $200 from the parts store.

Derek

vin1978
01-16-2006, 08:30 AM
This sounds like it may be good news for me. I replaced the passenger side a few months ago, so I think it is safe to say it is the drivers side and should cost me half the money. Thanks guys.

Hurricane
01-16-2006, 10:08 AM
The bearing are definately part of the hub assembly. It's not like in some cars where you can replace just the bearings for $50 apiece or something. Instead you have to replace the whole assembly for somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 apiece.

tenspeed
01-16-2006, 10:44 AM
This sounds like it may be good news for me. I replaced the passenger side a few months ago, so I think it is safe to say it is the drivers side and should cost me half the money. Thanks guys.

When you get the new bearing, plug it into each front wheel to see if the lights go out. The passenger side may be bad again.

I got my bearing on ebay for $75 shipped. You can also get them at www.rockauto.com

brim
01-16-2006, 12:12 PM
around $115-125 at autozone from TIMKEN

1 yr warranty, I'll be replacing the fourth one so far once it warms up, the sensor is shot again

Caputo777
01-26-2006, 08:24 AM
The bearing are definately part of the hub assembly. It's not like in some cars where you can replace just the bearings for $50 apiece or something. Instead you have to replace the whole assembly for somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 apiece.

I called an auto repair shop about my wheel bearings for my 00 gagt the other day and he said it would be about 100-120$ w/ labor per side...only 65$ for each wheel bearing. Is it not possible to just replace the wheel bearing with an aftermarket part, was he just mistaken? If not, I will probably buy the part myself off ebay or what not and get it installed at a shop. My car makes noises when I turn left OR right, so I should probably get the front 2 replaced shouldnt I?

Caputo777
01-26-2006, 08:32 AM
I called an auto repair shop about my wheel bearings for my 00 gagt the other day and he said it would be about 100-120$ w/ labor per side...only 65$ for each wheel bearing. Is it not possible to just replace the wheel bearing with an aftermarket part, was he just mistaken? If not, I will probably buy the part myself off ebay or what not and get it installed at a shop. My car makes noises when I turn left OR right, so I should probably get the front 2 replaced shouldnt I?

Alright I call another place and he states that yes I have to replace the whole assembly and it's $189 per side w/ labor. This still seems very cheap compared to what everyone else is stating. I do live in Virginia and the auto shops are a little cheaper than when I lived in New York - but does this seem reasonable to anyone else? The guy seemed to know what he was talking about he was saying he just did a wheel assembly on his wifes Grand Prix...

eaglesrealm
01-26-2006, 07:41 PM
Alright I call another place and he states that yes I have to replace the whole assembly and it's $189 per side w/ labor. This still seems very cheap compared to what everyone else is stating. I do live in Virginia and the auto shops are a little cheaper than when I lived in New York - but does this seem reasonable to anyone else? The guy seemed to know what he was talking about he was saying he just did a wheel assembly on his wifes Grand Prix...

$189 w/ labor at a local shop is probably right. Its a little over $100 for the part and any shop can do that job in under an hour easy with the right tools. So if you say even an hour at $65 an hour for labor, it falls in line with $189 + tax.

vin1978
01-26-2006, 08:08 PM

I would have jumped all over $189 per side. I just had mine done, I bought the wheel hub for $104 and then paid $100 per labor. If I had just brought the car to a repair shop they were quoting around $300 per side. I think $189 installed is a very good price, I am in NY though. Good luck!

AznGA
01-26-2006, 08:48 PM
If the wheel bearing is bad, what kinda noise does it make and what happens?

Caputo777
01-27-2006, 07:44 AM

Well I got it done for $189 a side and what a difference - I had been driving aroudn like that for a half a year now too. I also had them replace my front rotors and pads for $190 (thought that was a good price as well..) The wheel bearings came with a year warranty so even though I had to drop almost $600 on my car I must say I'm happy with the work.

As for in my case, when you turn left or right (if only one bearing is bad it will only make noise in one direction) it will sound like a grinding noise...pretty noticeable...in fact mine had gotten so bad that when i made a left turn you had to yell to hold a conversation. The car shakes somewhat as well.

vin1978
01-27-2006, 02:58 PM

The car shook a little bit, but mostly sounded like an airplane inside the car. I drive about 50k miles a year, so I had to get it changed asap, but my mechanic said you could go a little bit if your a lighter driver.

Caputo777
01-30-2006, 06:22 AM
The car shook a little bit, but mostly sounded like an airplane inside the car. I drive about 50k miles a year, so I had to get it changed asap, but my mechanic said you could go a little bit if your a lighter driver.

I drove on mine for about 5 months, but I probably only put about 15k a year on my car. I also had no idea what was wrong for about 4 of those months...

Chevylover54
01-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Actually changing the front hub assembly is no big deal. It is very easy. As long as you have a socket that is 1 3/8" or whatever it is for the center nut. If I have an air ratchet I can do a side in about 30 mins. I have changed my drivers side once and my passenger side twice. I will be changing the one on my passanger side for the third time this week.

wildblue
02-01-2006, 12:50 PM

Working on my third now: both time the driver's side started with a squeak that you could only hear if your window was cracked and you were driving next to a concrete median :D From there, it slowly turned into a roaring sound, first only when you turn the wheel slightly (most notably changing lanes on the highway) then eventually it just roared all the time. If you're really sensitive, you can notice a slight vibration before the roaring gets loud enough to hear.
PITA. What's the problem with these things that so many people have issues with them on a regular basis?

brsexton
02-01-2006, 07:16 PM
PITA. What's the problem with these things that so many people have issues with them on a regular basis?

You want to know what I think it is?? GM quality SUCKS. I have NEVER seen or had any other car that has had to have a wheel bearing so early. In fact, I have never seen a car in my family that has EVER had to even have a bearing replaced. I had to have mine replaced at 34k because it started making the "Air plane" noise while I was on vacation 500 miles away from home. If GM's bearings were having this issue back on the 99's then why in the hell would they continue to make this part that has a design flaw and continue to put it on the new model's? I just don't get it. I read the posts and it makes me sick to see all of the people that have to replace these things so often.

tenspeed
02-01-2006, 07:18 PM
There is a newer type bearing that uses a lower torque spec on the nut. The newer type has a silver nut and is torqued to around 170 ft lbs.