amp Q's [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : amp Q's

awaadster3
01-14-2006, 08:39 PM
So I bought a INSIGNIA sound system from BestBuy that came with a 2-channel bridgeable amp and 2 12" subwoofers. I have connected everything and everything seems to work fine.

BUT, when the amp turns on only ONE sub works, i switched the terminals to see if somethin was wrong with the other sub. When i did the switch, the non-working sub worked and the one that did work b4 stopped.

So its obvious that both subs work. I guessing there is something worng with the amp, can anyone confirm that with me.

thankyou!

GrandAmGT1996
01-14-2006, 10:23 PM
My guess would be something is wrong with the amp. Just take it back, and exchange it, Best Buy will except pretty much anything

awaadster3
01-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Altight, so I exchanged the amp today and the SAME thing is happing. I really confused did i miss something?

- I have stock HU,
- used line-in-converter to connect the RCA cables from the stock amp to new amp
- 12v, GRND, REM, and the 2 subs are all connected
- the fuses are all good

The only thing i didn't use is a wire attached to a box (pic below), would that solve my problem? and what is it and do i wire it?

GrandAmGT1996
01-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Hmm, never seen that wire before, it almost looks like it would plug into the headunit...not unless its for highs out. Part of the PITA might be the stock monsoon setup. If I was you, I would just bridge it and see if that works. http://www.freewebs.com/uploadxangapics/possible%20solution.JPG

ancona46
01-15-2006, 08:37 PM
u probly have to split the rca wire going to the amp into 2 pairs it sound like your only running rca's to one side of the amp

GrandAmGT1996
01-15-2006, 08:42 PM
u probly have to split the rca wire going to the amp into 2 pairs it sound like your only running rca's to one side of the amp

I thought of that too, but you only have one input for RCA's on the amp[If there is too, then the other one is a pass-thru], so I dont see how splitting it would work, because you would have to sets of RCAs then, correct? Or are you thinking something different?

You gotta love this part of systems lol

awaadster3
01-15-2006, 08:57 PM

are you saying that if i split it, i would stick a pair in the input and a pair in the output?

GrandAmGT1996
01-15-2006, 09:20 PM
Bridging it should almost defintly work.

ancona46
01-16-2006, 09:35 AM
I thought of that too, but you only have one input for RCA's on the amp[If there is too, then the other one is a pass-thru], so I dont see how splitting it would work, because you would have to sets of RCAs then, correct? Or are you thinking something different?

You gotta love this part of systems lol
see if maybe there is like a high pass or low pass switch i know my rockford amp has that and if its set to high u get no sub output

awaadster3
01-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Thanks for all the help, bridging the amp solved the problem.

ancona46
01-16-2006, 03:17 PM
how does it sound? just wondering if that brand is any good

awaadster3
01-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Surprisingly, Its very good. Deep, hard hitting bass without any distortion. I was skeptical when i bought it, and its better then my old single audiobahn sub/amp setup.

I believe only BestBuy sells them, its a kit, with a 2-channel amp and 2 12" subs.

GrandAmGT1996
01-16-2006, 10:21 PM
I figured bridging it would solve the problem, and IIRC...not positive on this since your running two subs off of it, it will send more power. I know if you bridge an amp running to a sub, it will push a decently larger amount of power...as far as bridging an amp and running two subs off of it, I'm not sure.

brim
01-19-2006, 09:37 PM
just go easy on the gains, It's still odd that the channels didn't output to both woofers, I'd check the amp manual and make sure everything was correct.

unless you had a negative in a positive or vice versa. If you toy with it again check the wiring

GrandAmGT1996
01-19-2006, 09:41 PM
I think if the + and - are switched, it just pushes the sub backwards (VERY bad for the sub) but dont hold me to it...I'm not positive if that is actually what happens.

TheOak
01-20-2006, 11:51 PM
be wary of insignia products,i bought a deck once from futureshop,it didnt read cd's kept skipping,then i talked to the install guy and he said their products are notorious for problems and get returned all the time.