Grand Am Steering Wheel w/ radio controls, upgrade? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Grand Am Steering Wheel w/ radio controls, upgrade?

eBandit
01-14-2006, 10:02 PM
I was looking at a 1999 Grand Am steering wheel that has both cruise control and radio controls on it. My question is: can I use it on my 2000 Grand Am GT that has only cruise control on the wheel?

Are there any plugs on my factory radio to connect to this and would the harness be in the car allready or would I need a harness to run from the radio to the steering wheel?

Thanks...........

02andahalfgt
01-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Do a search, there are a few threads on this topic. All I remember is that it is not a simple plug and play swap.

AaronGTR
01-15-2006, 11:20 AM
The only way you could get the radio controls on the steering wheel was if you ordered the GT1 option package. The GT1's and GT's used the same radio though so I believe the radio should have the plugs on the back to work with the remote switches. The '99 and '00 used the same radio's too before they switched to the monsoon in '01. All you should need is the steering wheel with the radio controls in it, and the harness behind it. That includes the SIR coil which the wires go thru so that the wheel will spin. Some of the wires on it are the same as your stock one so you will have to do some cutting and splicing, and run new wires over to the radio. I recommend getting a factory manual for this so you know what all the wires are.

Ajaxus
01-15-2006, 11:31 AM
i would think a haynes service manual and our buddies at gmpartsdirect are about all you'd need, plus the splicing mentioned above me.

RedGrandTour
01-15-2006, 06:58 PM
I was looking at a 1999 Grand Am steering wheel that has both cruise control and radio controls on it. My question is: can I use it on my 2000 Grand Am GT that has only cruise control on the wheel?

Are there any plugs on my factory radio to connect to this and would the harness be in the car allready or would I need a harness to run from the radio to the steering wheel?

Thanks...........

I asked a tech that was working on my old car about the controls. He said The Steering Column would have to be dropped.

eBandit
01-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks for all your help everyone!

Etemplin
02-15-2012, 06:59 PM
i have a question I'm trying to put an after market stereo in my 2000 grand am GT. But i have steering wheel controls i know there is an adapters so i can do it which one if you know of any that would work?