This Car Just Keeps Gets Worse By The Day [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : This Car Just Keeps Gets Worse By The Day

vin1978
01-15-2006, 06:25 PM
This summer I would hear a rumbling noise like something was loose in the front of my car when I went over bumps. When I drove through a gravel parking lot it got even worse. I took it to my mechanic twice, but he said that everything that was important was tight and he couldn't figure it out.

Now that it is winter, when I start the car in the morning when it is cold, I hear this rumbling noise just going down the street in my neighborhood. The only thing that I notice is that it isn't as bad when it is warmer, but it still sounds like something is going to fall off the front of my car. It is a 2001 GAGT. I thought maybe something with the ABS, but I am not very good with cars. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*UPDATE*
Well, my mechanic called me and said that it was the sway bar mounts and that they tightened them. I went right over and drove it and it still makes the same damn noise. It is a little warmer here today (40 degrees) and it doesn't sound as bad. They said that the strut mounts are tight and the caliper bolts are tight. I am making them keep it another day because it is supposed to be cold tonight.

Does anyone know what rubber parts are in the front end that could shrink when its cold and make it sound so bad you don't want to drive it, but expand enough when it is warm that it doesn't really make a noticable sound. The thing that drives me nuts is that I usualy won't bring a car in unless it sounds pretty bad. I can handle the creeks and noises of a car getting older, but this sound makes me feel like I am going to loose my front end. :banghead

AaronGAGT
01-15-2006, 06:31 PM
check to see if all caliper bolts are tight. I had this similar problem and found out the hard way when my caliper fell off onto the rotor while driving on the freeway... now THAT is what rumbling sounds like

mightypan42
01-15-2006, 08:18 PM
I agree w/ Aaron. Same thing happened to me late one night in the middle of nowhere. Not fun.

vin1978
01-16-2006, 09:32 AM
I will check that today after work. I will keep you posted. Some days I would like to just drive this car into the lake and never look back.

vin1978
01-16-2006, 01:50 PM
check to see if all caliper bolts are tight. I had this similar problem and found out the hard way when my caliper fell off onto the rotor while driving on the freeway... now THAT is what rumbling sounds like

Did you notice the noise for a while or did the caliper just come off one day? Mine has been doing this for a while. It sounds so bad that you would expect to see something very obvious when you got under the car?? It is going to be 20 degrees tonight, so I am not looking forward to this. :crying:

tjc13
01-16-2006, 02:36 PM
How many miles are on the car? I bet it's a worn out front strut mount.

mightypan42
01-16-2006, 03:06 PM
On mine, it was a couple days after I'd gotten new rotors, so I was told that it was the previous mechanic's fault. Looks like this isn't what's happening to you, so I'm going to butt out.

AaronGAGT
01-16-2006, 03:59 PM
Did you notice the noise for a while or did the caliper just come off one day? Mine has been doing this for a while. It sounds so bad that you would expect to see something very obvious when you got under the car?? It is going to be 20 degrees tonight, so I am not looking forward to this. :crying:

I noticed it for a while... few weeks I think. At first I thought it was suspension related and was stumped because everything was tight. Then my car turned into a freight train.

vin1978
01-18-2006, 08:02 AM
It got a little colder than 20 last night, so I droped it off at my mechanic. I print out a few responses from this post for him. Thanks guys I will keep you posted.

vin1978
01-18-2006, 10:41 AM
*UPDATE*
Well, my mechanic called me and said that it was the sway bar mounts and that they tightened them. I went right over and drove it and it still makes the same damn noise. It is a little warmer here today (40 degrees) and it doesn't sound as bad. They said that the strut mounts are tight and the caliper bolts are tight. I am making them keep it another day because it is supposed to be cold tonight.

Does anyone know what rubber parts are in the front end that could shrink when its cold and make it sound so bad you don't want to drive it, but expand enough when it is warm that it doesn't really make a noticable sound. The thing that drives me nuts is that I usualy won't bring a car in unless it sounds pretty bad. I can handle the creeks and noises of a car getting older, but this sound makes me feel like I am going to loose my front end. :banghead

99BlkGT
01-18-2006, 10:44 AM
My car (99 GAGT) has the same problem. It sounds like something is loose on the front driver side of the car. I had it looked at by two mechanics and neither one could find anything wrong with the car. They said it could be the strut housing, but the strut is not worn out so they said not to replace it and basically live with the noise.:flag:

vin1978
01-18-2006, 10:48 AM
My car (99 GAGT) has the same problem. It sounds like something is loose on the front driver side of the car. I had it looked at by two mechanics and neither one could find anything wrong with the car. They said it could be the strut housing, but the strut is not worn out so they said not to replace it and basically live with the noise.:flag:

How long has your car had the problem? Is it getting worse?

MetaGTP1
01-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Several more possibilities:

1) Strut mounts

2) Sway Bar Bushings

3) Wheel Bearings

GTLUVA
01-18-2006, 11:06 AM
When I had my 00 GT back in the day I had that same noise as you were talking about nobody could figure it out. I got new tires and bingo the noise was gone. It was my frickin tire rubbing the whole time

MetaGTP1
01-18-2006, 11:12 AM
When I had my 00 GT back in the day I had that same noise as you were talking about nobody could figure it out. I got new tires and bingo the noise was gone. It was my frickin tire rubbing the whole timeThat's a possibility. Tires with a soft compound become hard in cold weather and that could cause a rumbling sound on certain surfaces.

vin1978
01-18-2006, 11:22 AM
That's a possibility. Tires with a soft compound become hard in cold weather and that could cause a rumbling sound on certain surfaces.

I thought it was the tires too, but 2 weeks ago I bought new ones since the old ones had 84,000 on them. But no luck. Thanks for your help guys

kong
01-18-2006, 06:05 PM
could be wheel bearings. after 100k miles, it seems like everything has been breaking down. can't wait to get a new car, and it won't be a gm car no more!

vin1978
01-19-2006, 07:36 AM
could be wheel bearings. after 100k miles, it seems like everything has been breaking down. can't wait to get a new car, and it won't be a gm car no more!

I hear you Kong... I feel like this car is just disintigrating before my eyes. I had a Dodge before the GAGT, then I had a Grand Prix GTP before that and had problems with all of them. I am really starting to get turned off to Domestic cars. My Dad will only buy Toyota and Lexus and has never had one problem. I guess I should have learned my lesson, but I wanted to support the good ole USA.

kong
01-19-2006, 12:18 PM
all my boys insisted on me gettin an import, but i've always liked how gagt's look. but i think from now on, i will only admire ga's and not own 'em. you gotta admit though, a gagt is a great and sharp lookin car!

vin1978
01-19-2006, 01:03 PM
all my boys insisted on me gettin an import, but i've always liked how gagt's look. but i think from now on, i will only admire ga's and not own 'em. you gotta admit though, a gagt is a great and sharp lookin car!

They are a nice looking car. I just got my car back from the mechanic and after two days they have no clue what is making that noise. I cannot belive it. Like I said above, I think this is going to be my last Domestic car.