confusing wheel bearing problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : confusing wheel bearing problem

onesexyga
01-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Going on a year with svs, abs, trac off. Im out of ideas. I replaced both front bearings. Still getting the codes. Finally had a friend put it on a scanner. said the left front is still bad. Thought it might have been a bad bearing. Got a new one and it was perfect for a week. Then randomly today the lights come on. Any ideas?

AaronGAGT
01-15-2006, 07:51 PM
you're replacing the entire hub assembly right?

AleroME
01-15-2006, 08:09 PM
bad wire connection?

onesexyga
01-16-2006, 02:58 PM
I replaced the entire assembly. The wire is good. The connection was good. I want to take a look at the connection but its -55 with the windchill right now, its outside on an unplowed driveway, and the car is so covered with snow and salt you cant tell what color it is. I may chisel my way into the wheel well and take a look later on today.

onesexyga
01-17-2006, 08:24 AM
Checked the connection. Its fine. It said low track when it was in park. I started driving and it kept saying low track, then the 3 lights came on. Anybody?

coupe
01-17-2006, 08:27 AM
-55 F ? holy cold batman!

tenspeed
01-17-2006, 09:59 AM
It may not be a wheel bearing at all. You might have to get the codes read to find out what the problem is.

onesexyga
01-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Yeah, the last time i had the code read and it was a left front wheel bearing. I might try and get home to get it read again this weekend. If it makes any difference one time they came on the abs came on by itself, then the other two a minute later.

And yeah, its cold. You warm your car up for like 15 min. The defroster cant even handle it. Fortunately it will be like +50 here tomorrow. Man i love VT.

onesexyga
01-19-2006, 09:27 AM
If it makes any difference the low trac light is on when its parked.

fast_ga
01-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Well, speed sensor codes are simple. If bearings are not helping, its gonna be wiring, but more often then not it ends up being a EBCM wich is Electronic Brake Control Module, and they run about $800 at your local dealer, wich sucks.

gandolf77
04-17-2006, 11:53 PM
I had the same problem, used to only happen when it snowed, when i was in park the low trac light would come on, sometimes flash a few times, then the other 2 lights would come on shortly after or would come on & stay on when i started my car. Both hubs were replaced 3 times & that didnt help. The connections seemed fine but they really werent. I stripped some insulation from the wire about a foot away from the hub and the wire inside was completely coroded, didnt even look like wire, it was black & ashy, so i went to the junkyard & got 2 sets of wires with connectors from a newer GA, (mine is a '99), and replaced the wires to both hubs, only from about 18 inches away, and now none of those lights come on. Hope this helps.

gandolf77
04-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Another tip is if u do go to the junkyard there is another wire above the one that comes from the hub, only its inside the fender so its not subject to all the dirt and salt & stuff as the one at the hub is. It has the exact same connector that plugs into the wheel hub only without the small black plastic thingy, it's the one that i used cuz the connection looked much cleaner, and it worked like a charm, no more lights come on. be sure to use some dielectric grease at the connection to keep the water & junk out.