Clunking front end. Help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Clunking front end. Help

chaos6401
01-16-2006, 09:31 AM
I hear clunks in my front end when i go over bumps at above 40mph. I just had my control arm bushings and struts replaced. The shop said everything seemed fine. Steering is fine and they said they might try replacing the strut mounts next. My car is a 96 and has 160,000 miles on it. Any ideas of what else it could be? I don't want to spend any more money in it if I dont have to.

KJMach
01-16-2006, 09:34 AM
sounds like something is deff loose. sure the struts are ok? what about the Ball joints? try getting the mounts checked. prolly something not to bad. you haven't heard a car as bad as our old one was.... thing was worn out to death, shes porlly happier totaled in a junkyard, poor ol girl.

chaos6401
01-16-2006, 09:36 AM
how much do you think strut mounts and ball joints are at a shop?

tjc13
01-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Check out rockauto.com for the strut mounts. Buy them, and either put them on the car yourself or pay the shop for labor. I would suggest the MOOG mounts but the cheaper ones will get you by since the car already has 160,000 miles. I would also find out the price and have the shop discount it 50% since they already put the struts on once and didn't suggest replacing the mounts when you went in the first time.

chaos6401
01-19-2006, 11:04 AM
I just got back from my mechanic. He greased up the wheel bearings and some other stuff. He said the strut/engine mounts are good and the tie rods and bearings are good. He said they look like they were replaced at one time.

I went for a road test with him so he could hear what I hear. We heard it and he said it might be the sway bar bushings. What do you guys think? How much does that cost. I am taking back in on Monday.