high vibration at speed [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : high vibration at speed

Skullrot
01-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Tried the search but mainly found sound and rotor problems, this is not the problem here. When I reach speeds around 70+ I get a really bad vibration. I've checked tire balance, roundness, pressure, and alignment; still no luck. The vib. seams to be coming from the back half of the car, I dont feel it in the stearing. The tires are 2000 miles old and the car has 27.5k miles on it. Any idea where I should look now? I'm starting to think wheel bearing but not sure how to check that.

Thanks for the help

freeze12
01-16-2006, 09:27 PM
By any chance has the rear of the car been jacked up using a floor jack etc.? Looking under the car at the axle from the center of the axle on each side You will see the Lateral bar coming off the center (bushing on the bar where it is bolted to axle. They are made of very cheap thin metal & can bend VERY easy causing this problem. look for any bend etc.

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/images/F/FQ99370.gif

Part numbers 3-4

Skullrot
01-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Well this helped alot. It wasn't a floor jack but close enough. I had a jerk rub the rear 1/4 panel, took off some paint and put a small dent above the wheel (was a hit and run in a parking lot). Since the problem started right after this I'll try replacing those and see if it gets better.

Thanks for the heads up.

freeze12
01-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Your welcome! Like I said, just take a look at the bars on both sides for ANY kind of deformation. The cost per bar is under $40.00.

Skullrot
02-02-2006, 08:32 PM
well, I went ahead and changed all 4 of them (both sides) and didnt get any better. I think I'm going to have to change the bearings or the struts. Thats all I have left to change. =(

Panacea
02-02-2006, 11:59 PM
Could it be the wheel bearings?

freeze12
02-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Sorry to hear that did not solve the problem.Did any of the parts removed looked bent or distorted like I said in a previous post? If it did not it did not need to be replaced. other than ... Alignment,bad bearing or bent strut or suspension component I cannot think of anything else. To save further $$$$ I would get the car on a lift & get a better look under the rear of the car.

freakydeaky
02-03-2006, 10:03 AM
here's a an incomplete list and remedies for different wheel/suspension problems, maybe you've overlooked something...

Abnormal Tire Wear

PROBABLE CAUSE----- REMEDY

Incorrect tire inflation pressure-----> Check and Inflate to recommended air pressure.
Improper wheel alignment setting (camber and toe)----> Adjust to factory specifications.
Tire imbalance (cupped wear)------> Balance tires.
Worn tire rod ends------> Replace tie rod assemblies.
Worn ball joints or suspension bushings-----> Replace ball joints or bushings.
Worn shocks or struts----> Replace shocks or struts.
Bent control arm or spindle------> Replace control arm or spindle.
Loose wheel bearings-----> Adjust or replace bearings.

Car Pulls To One Side

PROBABLE CAUSE ------ REMEDY

Uneven tire pressure----> Check and Inflate to recommended air pressure
Mismatched tires----> Replace all tires.
Improper front wheel alignment setting (caster and camber)----> Adjust to factory specifications.
Improper rear wheel alignment (adjustment or bent parts)----> Adjust to factory specifications or replace parts.
Worn ball joints or suspension bushings----> Replace ball joints or bushings.
Dragging brake----> Check for mechanical or hydraulic problem.
Inoperative brake on opposite side----> Check for seized caliper, brake fluid leak or restriction, worn or contaminated brake linings.
Power steering rack or box defective-----> Replace or repair power steering unit.

Car Wanders Side-To-Side

Worn tie rod ends----> Replace tie rod assembly
Improper front wheel alignment setting (too little positive caster)----> Adjust to factory specifications.
Low tire pressure----> Check and Inflate to recommended air pressure.
Loose wheel bearings----> Adjust or replace bearings.
Worn idler arm or pitman arm-----> Replace idler arm or pitman arm.
Worn suspension bushings-----> Replace bushings.
Worn struts or shock absorbers-----> Replace struts or shocks.

Excessive Play In Steering

PROBABLE CAUSE ------- REMEDY

Loose steering gear adjustment----> Adjust steering gear to specifications.
Loose steering gear mounting-----> Tighten steering gear mounting bolts.
Worn tie rod ends-----> Replace tie rod assemblies.
Loose wheel bearings-----> Adjust or replace bearings
Worn idler arm or pitman arm-------> Replace idler arm or pitman arm.

Hard Steering While Car Is Rolling

Low tire pressure-----> Check and Inflate to recommended air pressure.
Binding in steering linkage-----> Check for interference, lack of lubricant.
Tight steering gear adjustment-----> Adjust steering gear to factory specifications.
Improper front wheel alignment specifications------> Adjust to factory specifications. (too much positive caster).
Failure in power steering system----> Check fluid level, belt, pump, hoses, and pressure valve.

Hard Steering While Car Is Still

PROBABLE CAUSE -------- REMEDY

Low tire pressure-----> Check and Inflate to recommended air pressure.
Binding in steering linkage-------> Check for interference, lack of lubricant.
Tight steering gear adjustment------> Adjust steering gear to factory specifications.
Failure in power steering system-------> Check fluid level, belt, pump, hoses, and pressure valve.

Front Wheel Shimmy

Tire imbalance-----> Balance tires.
Bent wheel-----> Replace wheel.
Worn or loose wheel bearings-----> Adjust or replace bearings.
Improper wheel alignment setting (too much positive caster)-----> Adjust to factory specifications.
Worn hydraulic steering damper-----> Replace steering damper.

Clunking Noise Over Bumps

Loose shock absorber mountings-----> Tighten nuts, or replace bushings.
Loose strut mounting nut-----> Tighten or replace mounting nut.
Worn shocks or struts-----> Replace struts or shocks.
Deteriorated suspension bushings----> Replace bushings.

Power Steering Noise

Squealing noise: loose, worn, or contaminated pump belt. ---->Adjust or replace belt.
Groaning noise: low fluid level. ---->Fill pump reservoir with proper fluid.
Whining noise: worn pump bearings-----> Rebuild or replace power steering pump.
Growling noise: fluid restriction, or defective pump or steering gear-----> Check fluid flow, pump output, then steering gear
Hissing noise while turning with car stationary----> This is a normal operation.

Steering Wheel Pull/Shimmy When Braking

PROBABLE CAUSE -------- REMEDY

Uneven braking force----> Check for mechanical or hydraulic problem.
Inoperative brake-----> Check for seized caliper, fluid leak or restriction, worn or contaminated lining.
Weak or broken spring-----> Replace spring.
Worn shocks or struts-----> Replace struts or shocks
Deteriorated suspension bushings (especially control arm pivot)----> Replace bushings.
Loose wheel bearings----> Adjust or replace bearings.
Excessive disc brake rotor run-out-----> Replace both front or rear brake discs or rotors.

Graxall
02-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Most likely the bearings, i had a pretty bad shake in my whole car at those speeds and i was told it could either be A. Bearings B. Axels or C. Tires. turned out it was the tires, they were balder than a babies @ss. So bald that the treat was shwing causing some bumpage ;) prolly urb earings tho.

Skullrot
02-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Well, I guess its the bearings I go for next. The tires are brand new, less than 3000 miles on them, so I think I can rule tire problems out. Thanks for all the input. I'll let you know if I get it to stop.

Skullrot
02-09-2006, 09:10 PM
small update, it looks like it might be a combo of tires and the road I'm driving on. My new tires have a stiffer side wall and the highway was refinished in a rubberized asphalt this summer. The cold weather is causing the road to wrinkle and giving me the shakes. I say this cause my wifes truck is doing the same thing on that same road. I'm still going to change the wheel bearings for peice-of-mind reasons.

Thanks for the info and help folks

RIDNonDUBBS
02-12-2006, 06:30 PM
if you put after market rims on your car you probaly need hub rings