Short in dome light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Short in dome light

TheOak
01-19-2006, 01:32 PM
i believe ive got a short in my dome light assembly,sometimes the light will work,others it wont and it flickers,so i just put the switch in the off position until I get it sorted.

now if i get a new assemlby will it fix this issue or is it more then the dome light switch?

freakydeaky
01-19-2006, 02:09 PM
stupid question, but have you checked the bulb?... it could be loose

harvester45
01-19-2006, 04:09 PM
I still have this problem, the wiring in these cars isn't the greatest (I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with my cruise control). The next time your dome light doesn't come on, open your driver's door and jiggle that bunch of wires that is just behind the fuse panel.

If the light comes on or flickers, then it's probably the same problem as I have, which is a bad connection at the harness. I haven't taken the time to fix mine yet, but at least this will save you from replacing any switches. Hope this helps.

Harv

AleroME
01-19-2006, 04:14 PM
a short will blow the fuse though. Prolly just bad connection inside in dome light. Just get a new dome light housing assembly and call it a day. Simple fix.

TheOak
01-19-2006, 04:17 PM
bulb is fine,it appears as its a bad connection in the assembly,so ill have to replace it,dammit

AleroME
01-19-2006, 04:22 PM
bulb is fine,it appears as its a bad connection in the assembly,so ill have to replace it,dammit

I was talking bout the connection inside the housing .. sorry to not make it clear. LOL Yea just get whole new dome light housing assembly.

DrFabulous
01-19-2006, 07:10 PM
I've already replaced bulb, then the housing/fuse, and mine still doesn't work. I'll have to start going thru wiring.

TheOak
01-20-2006, 11:47 PM
my buddy has a cavi with a similar problem,and he is a mechanic and says its got something to do with the ignition area,as when he jiggles his keys in the ignition the light flickers on and off,same with hitting a bump.

thanks again for the tips guys