Ignition problems possibly...HELP!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ignition problems possibly...HELP!!

sayray
01-20-2006, 09:04 PM
I recently (yesterday) purchased a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT Coupe. It has given me no problems thus far...HOWEVER tonight when I went to leave for work...I put my key in the ignition and went to turn it and NOTHING. It wont budge at ALL. It wont move! I tried moving the wheel from left to right, making sure it was in park, wiggling the key itself and even making a copy of the key in case the one I had was worn. I'm not sure what it could be, however for the first time I noticed a blinking red light near my radio that says "Theftlock." Could this blinking light have any effect on whether or not my key turns at all in my ignition and if so does anybody have any advice on how to remedy this? And if you don't think its the "Theftlock" blinking light that is causing my ignition to refuse to budge, what else do you think it could be? Any help or words of advice would be appreciated!!! THANK YOU!!!

fast_ga
01-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Most likely the lock cylinder came apart inside, tumblers or springs. Will need a new cylinder. On rare occashions having a new key cut helps, if the key wears to much it will stop matching up with the tumblers. Heck one time i had a key that got a burr on it, had to wire wheel it real quick, was fine.....

sayray
01-20-2006, 09:29 PM
so what does that blinking "theftlock" light mean then? and can this thing happen so suddenly? the ignition was working just fine this morning!!!!

atc3434
01-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Theftlock is the system on the radio that keeps it from being us-able if its stolen, keeps people from stealing them in the first place. It won't cause the problem your having about. Take it back to where you bought it from, complain, and get it fixed. It probably is the key cylinder, like was said above. Don't sweat the theftlock, nothing to do with the ignition. And WELCOME!

tvtech
01-23-2006, 09:42 PM
I had the same problem with my 01 GT. It happened in a mall parking lot. Spray some WD-40 in the keyhole, put the key in and jiggle it. The tumblers are stuck. This should fix your problem. Careful, everytime you take your key out for a while it will be dirty with cleaner. Once it dried out, I sprayed some graphite powder in it to make sure it didn't happen again. It hasn't happened again in 30K miles and 3 years.

tgremington
02-10-2006, 12:30 PM
the exact same thing happened to my 99 GAGT. I tried everything, ended up having it towed to a dealership to have the ignition switch replaced. I had heard that there was supposed to be a recall on this as it was happening to several people and there were multiple complaints. Overall charge was around $600 if I remember correctly.