Hi. Newb here [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Hi. Newb here

MarauderMark
01-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Hi Everyone.
I just joined here because my son bought a 04 Grand Am Gt(so proud of em) and i want to learn the good and bad(if any) thing about the car.I mean itsa sharp looking piece.He is under factory warranty right now so it'll give me some time to start finding out whats available for it when time comes.Thank you Mark:newbie: :heh:
If this is not in the right place please put where it should be as i am a newb and dont know my way quite yet.:)

Rich
01-22-2006, 09:25 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55246

theres a good thread where people talk about all the issues. keep in mind though, that some people have had minimal problems with there GA.

this probably would have been good in the newbies section heh. anyway, welcome and im sure we'll be happy to answer some questions if you have any. but dont forget about the search.

a bit off topic- im a fan of marauders. nice cars.

atc3434
01-22-2006, 09:53 AM
Welcome! Should be a good car for your son. You'll find a few people that seem to enjoy ripping the car to pieces ever chance they get, but for the most part people have had pretty good luck with the car. Doesn't mean it doesn't have problems, but its a car, they ALL do, I don't care if it was a $100k Mercedes. Good maintenence and knowing a few key things to keep an eye on, and it'll serve a long time. I had mine, bought it with 44k, drove till 116k, modded it, raced it, and drove it hard, and never had any major problems what so ever. I broke a front spring, and went through a window regulator. But the motor and tranny, still solid after tons of hard use. Check out the performance FAQ if you're looking to make it faster. There is a link in my signature.

BTW, nice Maraduer, I love big RWD cars like that. Mods?

MarauderMark
01-22-2006, 10:02 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55246

theres a good thread where people talk about all the issues. keep in mind though, that some people have had minimal problems with there GA.

this probably would have been good in the newbies section heh. anyway, welcome and im sure we'll be happy to answer some questions if you have any. but dont forget about the search.

a bit off topic- im a fan of marauders. nice cars.
Thank you for the link .at least now i'll know what kind of gas mileage he will be getting.I will spend alotta time searching i guess as the minimal problems may happen(good to hear there only minimal).Realy want to what the future may hold performance wise:) and how these cars may hold up with mods.
BtW I wasn't really a ford fan until i saw the marauder in hot rod.what a great place to advertise a car.

MarauderMark
01-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Good maintenence and knowing a few key things to keep an eye on, and it'll serve a long time. I had mine, bought it with 44k, drove till 116k, modded it, raced it, and drove it hard, and never had any major problems what so ever. I broke a front spring, and went through a window regulator. But the motor and tranny, still solid after tons of hard use. Check out the performance FAQ if you're looking to make it faster. There is a link in my signature.

BTW, nice Maraduer, I love big RWD cars like that. Mods?
This what i wanted to hear.Thanks .Nice pics in your garage .Thank you..
Just a few mods.:)
Cardummain Page (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/487512/4)

atc3434
01-22-2006, 10:50 AM
480RWHP.... I'd say you've got a few mods! One thing you should be made aware of right now is the Lower Intake Manifold gasket on the 3400 is an extremely common failure. Usually they fail and just leak coolant on the outside of the motor, but sometimes you'll end up getting coolant in the oil, and you obiviously know why thats bad. So, keep an eye on the coolant level, and look under the oil cap occasionally. White milky deposits = death if it goes un-fixed. Its not too bad of a fix. Some guys have tranny problems, its usually a bad shift selenoid. One wheel burnouts, burnouts with hard steering angles = death to the differential, and sometimes the whole tranny. Mods are simple to start, do catback, headers, PCM. Then start porting and polishing heads and manifolds.

02andahalfgt
01-22-2006, 11:34 AM
^ LIM shouldn't be a problem on the 04, that car should have the revised gasket.

MarauderMark
01-22-2006, 05:36 PM
^ LIM shouldn't be a problem on the 04, that car should have the revised gasket.
Thanks for saying this.I was going to say sounds like factory didn't put to much effort in the gasket.
As for burnouts what i dont know won't hurt me but i'll keep an eye on the rubber that sticks to the back fender.:angel oh man i love these smilies..Gentlemen Thanks a bunch , its totaly appreciated..

Mods are simple to start, do catback, headers, PCM. Then start porting and polishing heads and manifolds.
Can the porting of the heads be reliable w/o redoing the bottom end?Also with just the simple mods to start what can be gained? hp wise and 1/4 mile time?

nascarnate326
01-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Welcome. Ive had LIM problems, as have almost everyone else. Only other thing thats wrong with mine is a crazy passlock system. If you treat it good, it will treat you good as well. I like the hood on the GAGT and my mom has a Merc like yours, except hers dosent quite make as much HP as yours. Have fun.

atc3434
01-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks for saying this.I was going to say sounds like factory didn't put to much effort in the gasket.
As for burnouts what i dont know won't hurt me but i'll keep an eye on the rubber that sticks to the back fender.:angel oh man i love these smilies..Gentlemen Thanks a bunch , its totaly appreciated..

Can the porting of the heads be reliable w/o redoing the bottom end?Also with just the simple mods to start what can be gained? hp wise and 1/4 mile time?

No bottom end work is needed unless you start pushing major PSI at it, guys with blowers run 9psi on stock bottom ends fine, you'll hurt the tranny before you hurt the motor. Usually you need catback, headers, dhp, and a CAI to make it to a 14.9. Thats somewhere near 200hp at the flywheel. The fastest NA car used to be Pucci, who ran a 14.7 on all the mods above plus P&P'ed heads, intake manifolds, and a 62mm TB. I don't beleive that was on DRs though, so a touch more might be avalible. There is a guy with a NA setup basically like all the above stuff plus a cam from Milzy Motorsports, he's running 13.9 on crappy tires. One or two boosted guys are looking at maybe 12s this spring. TEJohnsons turbo setup put down some ridiculous torque numbers, and good HP too even with some valve float, he's a good candidate for some ripp'n times if he can hook. But you can get relatively quick cheap with headers, exhaust, and DHP. N20 is another option, the motors strong enough. The ZEX kit is nice, its adjust fuel delivery with bottle pressure, to keep the a/f mixture ideal. Check out that FAQ in my signature there, lots of info.

MarauderMark
01-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Again Thank you for the info .Will most certainly keep this in mind..

GTgoddess
01-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Wait........do we have a MILF on the boards?!?!?!

(i can't believe i just said that.)

SikMindz
01-23-2006, 08:52 AM
Wait........do we have a MILF on the boards?!?!?!

(i can't believe i just said that.)

Don't mind her. She's on crack. :applause:

Love the car though. Marauders, Crown Vics and Caprices + mods = WIN!

Kdawg207
01-23-2006, 08:54 AM
:cheers: *welcome*

MarauderMark
01-23-2006, 11:21 AM
MILF????:clueless: Sorry i dont understand Crack..:kiss: :)

GTgoddess
01-23-2006, 01:07 PM
lol Mother I'd Like to F*ck

:D Sorry...........very inappropriate on my part!

MarauderMark
01-23-2006, 04:48 PM
lol Mother I'd Like to F*ck

:D Sorry...........very inappropriate on my part!
Aw this is a great site to be greeted this way. Thank you Goddess..:kiss:

GTgoddess
01-24-2006, 06:54 AM
I can't help it. It's the male horomones rubbing off on me :D Happens sometimes!! :terese:

Welcome to the site Mrs. Marc's Mom. Enjoy your stay!

Exodus
01-24-2006, 07:46 AM
Welcome hombre. Beware of the Canadians

SikMindz
01-24-2006, 07:50 AM
I can't help it. It's the male horomones rubbing off on me :D Happens sometimes!! :terese:

Welcome to the site Mrs. Marc's Mom. Enjoy your stay!

Umm...why'd you assume it was a she?

Judging by the username dude's name is...Mark.

Slim
01-24-2006, 08:06 AM
Welcome hombre. Beware of the Canadians

What's wrong with the Canadians? Hrmmm? Hrmmm? lol

Welcome to the site... Just ignore Terese, she seems to have left her brain at home today. :p

99blackSE
01-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Welcome to the site, and for performance atc had it covered.

H.O. Driver
01-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Welcome to the site, definatly dig the blown Merc, its just fun to have a car to suprise people with. Like the others have said, you can beat these cars if you have a rough idea of whats going on with the motor and to look for and what to avoid. There are people that have nuked the transmissions stock in very little mileage and then theres the guys that have spray, boost and spray that have gotten 13s on a stock transmission that lasted just as long as the stock motor transmissions. Granted if you kid grew up with a father like you, he's got a rough idea of cars, how to handle them and what things to do and what things to avoid like the plague.

My car has been modded for ~40,000 miles and has well over 200 passes down the 1320. I still have the stock trans and motor, did the LIM gasket at 80k since I was in doing something else, it didn't need to be changed, but I was close enough to it where it couldn't hurt or take much longer to do. Other then that I have had to change a waterpump and an altenator, so nothing serious and none of this happened till after 75,000 miles. I also had the broken spring at 76,000 miles, but the car was 6 years old, it needed to be changed whether it broke or not.

Enjoy the car, they are fun little things, for what they are.

GTgoddess
01-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Hi Everyone.
I just joined here because my son bought a 04 Grand Am Gt(so proud of em) and

I thought she was a mom!?!?!?!!?!?

Slim
01-24-2006, 10:04 AM
I thought she was a mom!?!?!?!!?!?

Dads can have sons too you know... lol Silly girl. :haha:

GTgoddess
01-24-2006, 10:09 AM
But with the ammount of smilies he/she/it has been using, i'm sure its not a dad. lol

not to mention:

.:angel oh man i love these smilies..Gentlemen Thanks a bunch , its totaly appreciated..

I highly doubt a father would say that.

Slim
01-24-2006, 10:13 AM
But with the ammount of smilies he/she/it has been using, i'm sure its not a dad. lol

not to mention:

I highly doubt a father would say that.

You never know... Maybe he's just polite.

Meh... Who cares. It appears you're the only one who seems to think it's a female. If you're right, I'll eat my words. <--- See, I even typed it out for everyone to see!! lol

GTgoddess
01-24-2006, 10:16 AM
MarauderMark SHOW YOUR TRUE SELF!!!

HaHa.

SikMindz
01-24-2006, 10:19 AM
If Terese is wrong can we give her some warning points for good measure? I think the fighting with an admin/moderator ones works best in this situation.

GTgoddess
01-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Dude, I'm not fighting. I'm just making a point. Looking back at recent posts, I believe that it is good enough evidence to consider this "Mark" guy to be his MOTHER since this person did state that "their son" bought a Grand Am. THEN proceeded to call you guys Gentlemen, which was a joke all in itself.

lol wow. Only two days of Criminal Justice class and its going to my head. lol

Slim
01-24-2006, 10:40 AM
If Terese is wrong can we give her some warning points for good measure? I think the fighting with an admin/moderator ones works best in this situation.

Yes. Points will be dished out if she's wrong. If everyone else is wrong, Terese can dish points out. :)

Speaking of which.... That title of yours just can't make up it's mind.

GTgoddess
01-24-2006, 10:41 AM
If? You mean when. When, everyone else is wrong, you will all..."Bow down to me furry creatures..." (<~ name the movie)

Now I just re-read all the posts he/she/it made, and it says "I, Me..etc." who the f*ck knows. Honestly, who the f*ck cares. WARN ME BITCHES!!!

Slim
01-24-2006, 10:45 AM
If? You mean when. When, everyone else is wrong, you will all..."Bow down to me furry creatures..." (<~ name the movie)

Hahaha....You seem very sure of yourself. What if you're wrong?

No idea on the movie... Ace Ventura?

edit: Wow.... Having a bad day Terese? lol

GTgoddess
01-24-2006, 10:46 AM
ok ok ok. I'm wrong. It's a Dad.

SikMindz
01-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Stick to the cold hard facts Ms. Criminal Justice.

Point:
Argument 1: Username is MARK.
Argument 2: User drives a 500HP S/Ced Marauder.
Argument 3: It's Terese...crack kills.

Counterpoint:
Argument 1: User used the word "gentlemen."
Argument 2: Has a son (what kind of logic is that?!)

Case closed.

Edit: FU Supermod25. Leave my avatar alone! LoL

GTgoddess
01-24-2006, 10:48 AM
lol I guess I'm getting points......lots of em. hahaha

GTgoddess
01-24-2006, 10:49 AM
im such an idiot Darren. At least we know thats a cold hard fact.

TACO BAR TODAY!!!!!!!!

pyro
01-24-2006, 10:51 AM
ok ok ok. I'm wrong. It's HE's a Dad.
very rude trese :nono:
on a side note, welcome.

SikMindz
01-24-2006, 10:52 AM
This thread is nominated for Top 5 Intro Threads of all time!

SikMindz
01-24-2006, 10:54 AM
im such an idiot Darren. At least we know thats a cold hard fact.

TACO BAR TODAY!!!!!!!!

Weird. When I quoted it...well, it makes more sense. And you're is a contraction for you are.

GTgoddess
01-24-2006, 10:55 AM
hahaha. Sorry Jeremy. :(

OK FINE!

I'M WRONG.

Welcome Mr. Mark!!!!!!!!!!

Slim
01-24-2006, 10:58 AM
lol I guess I'm getting points......lots of em. hahaha

Well.... You are a newb mod, so I'll let it slide just this once (since only an admin can warn a mod). But next time.... BLAMMO!! Points galore!!!

SikMindz
01-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Game. Set. Match. Picture of MarauderMark at the track:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/487000-487999/487512_80_full.jpg

pyro
01-24-2006, 11:10 AM
this thread is going nowhere. ill say it for the rest... WELCOME MARK! i hope you enjoy your stay here, have fun with your grand am.