eBay cold air intake (into side fender) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : eBay cold air intake (into side fender)

kingsofcrunk
01-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Okay,

I did some searching and found that most of you guys do not prefer the intakes sold on ebay. However, within the threads I searched, these were short ram intakes. I did find a 2 piece cold air intake on ebay that is quite a bit cheaper than Dr. Speeds. Would this be worth looking into?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00-01-02-04-GRAND-AM-Alero-V6-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-3-pcs_W0QQitemZ8032291193QQcategoryZ38634QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

ganut
01-22-2006, 03:46 PM
meh, after shipping you're still paying over 80 bucks for a filter, two pieces of piping, and couplers.

Ajaxus
01-22-2006, 04:03 PM
dont go cheap on ebay, i did that to get one for my bro. we'll just say that i had to modify the pcv hose, and add a piece of pcv piping in the fender well to make it fit. which is gonna run you another $13 or so to do and alot of extra time.

buy one from a well known manufacturer before you buy on ebay for this. its not worth it.

onesexyga
01-22-2006, 04:15 PM
" Very cool air sucking sound"

Haha, yesss...

sc02grandam
01-22-2006, 04:27 PM
if you're technically inclined and have some free time.. id say go with the ebay

angrysk8r
01-31-2006, 03:04 PM
I actually went with one on ebay....Works just fine and I didn't have any problems at all installing it. I bought it from some people on ebay who called themselves "Chrome Intakes" or something like that.

Ajaxus
01-31-2006, 10:19 PM
dont go for the cardomain guy called Josh Tubb....BAD idea, his stuff is cheap.

pyro
02-01-2006, 11:48 AM
dont go for the cardomain guy called Josh Tubb....BAD idea, his stuff is cheap.
youre like the only one whos had a problem with him. thats where i got mine from and i never had any issues. look at his feedback. :iconfused

Kdawg207
02-01-2006, 11:53 AM
"We know you're a serious racer. But are you getting all of it? ChromeINTAKES will help you upgrade your car at an affordable price!"

lol what "serious racer" wouldn't have a CAI already

DrFabulous
02-01-2006, 11:58 AM
You

get

what

you

pay

for.

pyro
02-01-2006, 12:01 PM
"We know you're a serious racer. But are you getting all of it? ChromeINTAKES will help you upgrade your car at an affordable price!"

lol what "serious racer" wouldn't have a CAI already
lol... maybe they are "seriously stock racers"

DrFabulous
02-01-2006, 12:03 PM
What "serious racer" would be using a N/A Grand Am as their car of choice? I mean.... absolutely no offence to the guys that are running low numbers N/A, but you can't say that this would be your first choice of a car if you were trying to be a "serious racer".

pyro
02-01-2006, 12:08 PM
What "serious racer" would be using a N/A Grand Am as their car of choice? I mean.... absolutely no offence to the guys that are running low numbers N/A, but you can't say that this would be your first choice of a car if you were trying to be a "serious racer".
*iagree* btw i love your sig, i just watched that episode.

ViperGTSR
02-01-2006, 12:13 PM
actually it'd be my second choice. For my 14.9 second GA i chose the civic short ram on ebay :D

DrFabulous
02-01-2006, 02:13 PM
actually it'd be my second choice. For my 14.9 second GA i chose the civic short ram on ebay :D

Which I have. Annnnnd I can't get myself to fool around long enough to get it to work w/ teh 2.4. I gotta PM Dave about that one....

Ajaxus
02-01-2006, 02:31 PM
youre like the only one whos had a problem with him. thats where i got mine from and i never had any issues. look at his feedback. :iconfused

you do realise that some people buy these and give feeback before its installed?

issues with mine were..it didnt extend far enough into the fender well for the k&n to fit on and behind the lining. the hole for the pcv hose was cut too far from the hose so i have to ghetto rig it to fit. and because he likes that cheap iat "chip" or whatever they're called (which i said i DID NOT want when i bought it) there isnt a hole drilled for the iat.

not to mention it took him well over a month to get it shipped to me and didnt bother helping with things, just kept making excuses.

all i do know is that i had to go buy more crap from the store and im still in the process of modifying the cai i bought from him to fit.

maybe i got a bad egg, but last time i checked all of the reputable manufacturers hadn't made a bad egg yet.

ViperGTSR
02-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Which I have. Annnnnd I can't get myself to fool around long enough to get it to work w/ teh 2.4. I gotta PM Dave about that one....
i hope it wasnt too ****ty for you :/

DrFabulous
02-01-2006, 03:08 PM
i hope it wasnt too ****ty for you :/

Hell no. Perfect for what I'm going to use it for. I just need to rig it up, ya know?

lilgrandam
02-05-2006, 09:42 PM
I have a Dr, Speed stage 3 in my car and it is a pain in the a** to change the air filter to clean it.

02andahalfgt
02-05-2006, 10:08 PM
I have a Dr, Speed stage 3 in my car and it is a pain in the a** to change the air filter to clean it.

You have an '04 with 5k miles, why are you cleaning a K&N filter?! lol

'01GT
02-25-2006, 07:57 AM
I got mine from ebay. The seller was Intakepower or something like that. Fit really well and was a good product. I paid about $55 for mine, shipped.

redhotdj
03-03-2006, 12:40 PM
i bought a 3 pcs. cold air intake off of ebay it works fine only paid around $69.00 for it tubes clamps fittings and air filter complete kit

coupe
03-03-2006, 01:04 PM

Why are you cleaning it? You have an 04.
If you think its a pain in the ass to clean then you really need to stop modding lol

pyro
03-03-2006, 01:10 PM
You have an '04 with 5k miles, why are you cleaning a K&N filter?! lol
Why are you cleaning it? You have an 04.
If you think its a pain in the ass to clean then you really need to stop modding lol
dejavu lol

coupe
03-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Damn i must have skimmed right over his post lol my bad

williamGT
08-27-2006, 07:44 AM
dont go cheap on ebay, i did that to get one for my bro. we'll just say that i had to modify the pcv hose, and add a piece of pcv piping in the fender well to make it fit. which is gonna run you another $13 or so to do and alot of extra time.

buy one from a well known manufacturer before you buy on ebay for this. its not worth it.
hey is the doctor speed one a well-knowen? or there is any other i should know.

pyro
08-27-2006, 09:09 AM
yes, doctor speed is well known.

chosen_one
09-15-2006, 12:11 AM
ya well i just bought a CAI from Chrome Intakes off of ebay. They were really good in service and I just installed it tonight... Just came inside from installing it actually. I am new to modding and all that and I didn't have any problem installing it. Everything seems to be working fine too. It worked out very nicely. It is a little snug right around the battery but it seems to work very nicely. I bought the 3 piece one with the K & N air filter. It was about $110 shipped.

El_Diablo
09-15-2006, 09:37 AM
i would easily go with mp racing over doctor speed

to the guy who said its hard to change filters and such, just take off your headlight and reach through there, its really easy that way

pyro
09-15-2006, 09:38 AM
i would easily go with mp racing over doctor speed

to the guy who said its hard to change filters and such, just take off your headlight and reach through there, its really easy that way
the headlight hole isnt wide enough to fit the filter though.

El_Diablo
09-15-2006, 10:25 AM
wtf? thought your guys headlights were bigger than mine? and what diameter is your filter?

Ajaxus
09-15-2006, 10:30 AM
wtf? thought your guys headlights were bigger than mine? and what diameter is your filter?

apparently you haven't seen the wonderful gm design of our cars up close, we can't do that. the easiest way is to jack it up, you can leave the wheel on (bit tougher this way) and remove the fender well lining.

lvemy3100
09-15-2006, 10:41 AM
the filters on the MP Racing intakes will not fit through a Malibu or GA headlight opening

gaowners32
09-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Take the head light out and remove the fender wall no reason to jack the car up! Remove the bottom screw under the air deflector and there you go open whole to take out the filter.

El_Diablo
09-16-2006, 01:54 AM
apparently you haven't seen the wonderful gm design of our cars up close, we can't do that. the easiest way is to jack it up, you can leave the wheel on (bit tougher this way) and remove the fender well lining.
im just used to foam filters and longer skinier filters i guess *shruggs*

oh and just an fyi, ive been in my fender well many times and ive deffinetly seen (or atleast fealt lol) it up close ;)

GTplaya02
09-21-2006, 12:43 AM
I just bought the 3 Peice with K&N filter, from Chrome Intakes off ebay, Im puttin it in tommorow, so I'll let ya know how it goes, I've had one from ebay before and it was no differnce in feelig from my friends Dr. Speed Stage 3..

LoboMan7409
09-21-2006, 01:37 AM
I just bought the 3 Peice with K&N filter, from Chrome Intakes off ebay, Im puttin it in tommorow, so I'll let ya know how it goes, I've had one from ebay before and it was no differnce in feelig from my friends Dr. Speed Stage 3..

Aggreed, I got the most expensive chromeintake CAI with the authentic K&N, shipped it was half as much as the Dr. Speed and works awesome.

chosen_one
09-21-2006, 10:01 PM
i agree that is the same thing i got works great!!

El_Diablo
09-24-2006, 04:37 PM
i'll still stick with MP Racing for the quality...

rap219
04-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Anybody got a pic of the Chrome intakes 3pc setup installed? PM me and I'll drop you my e-mail addy for some pics. Also, Is the intake from Chrome Intakes all metal? I have to ask because in their picture its kind of hard to tell, sort of looks like plastic in the fenderwell

Jake
04-08-2007, 09:59 PM
I can post a pic of mine, probably tomorrow. I know the pipes arent made out of metal.. arent intakes usually made out of aluminum? The pipe is a beautiful pipe, its just a pain to install, I think you were involved with that other post a few days back when that guy couldnt get his to fit and I had to help him out right? Anyway, I can post a pic prob. tomorrow.

pyro
04-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Anybody got a pic of the Chrome intakes 3pc setup installed? PM me and I'll drop you my e-mail addy for some pics. Also, Is the intake from Chrome Intakes all metal? I have to ask because in their picture its kind of hard to tell, sort of looks like plastic in the fenderwell

dont waste your money, just get the MP racing stage 3 intake. The metal on the ebay intakes is crap, not to mention you have to buy a filter on top of that price.

Jake
04-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Umm.. I didnt have to buy a filter.. I know 2 people with the same intake they didnt have to buy a filter.. Why would they sell an intake with no filter.. The only difference between this intake and any other CAI is going to be looks because with this intake you keep some of the stock parts. Its still the same size pipe as other intakes.

pyro
04-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Umm.. I didnt have to buy a filter.. I know 2 people with the same intake they didnt have to buy a filter.. Why would they sell an intake with no filter.. The only difference between this intake and any other CAI is going to be looks because with this intake you keep some of the stock parts. Its still the same size pipe as other intakes.
umm.. because the "filter" they give you with is is a piece of **** maybe? i would never trust any engine to a filter like that. And actually its not just for "looks". The entire point of using an intake is to REPLACE the stock intake. The metal they use is super cheap and you can bend it easily with your hand. I know youre not going to argue with people who have been in this situation or read of others in the same situation, and that have been around far longer than you have and are speaking from experience.
You get what you pay for.

If you are going to half-ass it, you are going to get half-assed results.

There are a billion threads on this crap anyways
/thread