Bad MAF perhaps? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Bad MAF perhaps?

angrysk8r
01-31-2006, 09:35 PM
A day ago I was taking off my TB so I could clean some crap out of it, and since I didn't want to hook up those little hoses into the TB again, I just decided to do the TB coolant bypass. Well when I was in the middle of that, my MAF sensor fell off of the car and hit the pavement. At the moment I didn't think anything was wrong with it, since it only looked like a little scratch on the outside, but when I put everything back together and started the car up, my car had a nasty idle that was reving from 500-1000 rpms over and over again (shook the car pretty crazily too). I thought it might have been a vacuum leak at first, but I tightened up all the hoses and it didn't help one bit. I drove it around a little while and it performed and ran fine, but it always did the surging between 500-1000 rpms as soon as I was stopped or going very slow. Later I unplugged the MAF while the car was running, and the idle completely smoothed out and returned to normal, but when I plugged the MAF back in, the car's idle started surging again. I'm almost positive it's a bad MAF, but before I go and buy a new one, I was wondering what some other possibilities were that could cause the surging idle? I'd like to rule them out first.

MSJHWT
01-31-2006, 09:41 PM
That sounds similar to the problem I had, however, the idle was less noticeable (went from 600-800 back and forth), a new MAF fixed the problem.

angrysk8r
01-31-2006, 09:43 PM
Yea, at first it was really nasty, but it got a little better today and was only going from 600-800ish or so. I also changed the spark plugs yesterday but it didn't completely fix the problem (it did help though).

Haha, I almost forgot to post this. The used car dealer i bought the GA from said he had changed the plugs before he sold be the car (I bought it with 89K miles). Being stupid I never checked them untill yesterday, and when I did I almost fell over in astonishment. I looked at the gaping and couldn't believe it, it was completely obvious that all the spark plugs havn't been changed since it rolled out of the assembly line, and all the plugs had a gap too big for my spark plug gapper to check. I ended up using a ruler just for ****s and giggles and most of them had a gap up to 2 mm or better.