terrible handling [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : terrible handling

jgarriso
02-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Help my ride just doesnít handle very good. When I had about 30k miles I took it to the dealer and had it inspected. They told me it was my oem tires. The suspension and everything else was fine. Since then I got a couple of wheel alignment, 4 new Han**** tires. It rode okay for about a week. I put on some bosch my rotors this summer and Iím running out of options here. Any suggestions I know the car is 3years old but it shouldnít handle like itís 5yrs old already. The handling is one of the biggest reason I choose the grand am.

CoopGT
02-02-2006, 03:09 PM
How many miles are on your car? Are you still riding on the stock struts & springs? Maybe it's time to replace them. Your telling us everything was fine at 30 k but your not giving us much to go on.

jgarriso
02-02-2006, 04:08 PM
i have 68k now but Id had the problem since maybe mid 30k. Yes the only things I have changed are brakes, rotors, tires, and some other little stuff. Most everything else is stock. I don't want to sound stupid but how long and shocks/struts usually hold up?

02andahalfgt
02-02-2006, 04:24 PM
What kind of handling problems are you having? Steering? Bouncy ride? That'll help.

coupe
02-02-2006, 04:35 PM
We need much more info than what your giving.
Steering? shaking? bouncy? stiff? how do your tires look? when was the last time you had an alignment? sloppy steering maybe? come on man give us some info.

Skullrot
02-02-2006, 08:04 PM
I think I'm having the same problem that he is having. Mine started shaking/bouncing around 27K at 70 - 80 MPH. I have gotten the tires balanced and alighned the wheels. This made it alittle better but it is still there. My next thing to change is going to be the bearings unless someone points me at another part to change.

jgarriso
02-03-2006, 06:37 AM
Sorry guys kinda new at this. The shaking and stopped when i changed my rotors.
I guess the best way to describe the handling is really loose. It corners terrible Situations where I used to have to turn the wheel a little to make a right turn now i almost need to turn the steering wheel way I haven't had a allignment in maybe 5 months now. I got one twice last year and it only helps for about a week. My tires are fine , I keep a tire pressure gage in the car to make sure they are at the right psi. and have them rotated on time. every since i had to buy new ones i pay close attention to my tires. So basically I'm having to turn the wheel way to much for simple handling and I don't think it just comes from my car being and 03.

Thanks for the help it's much appreciated

02andahalfgt
02-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Have your power steering checked if you need to turn the wheel farther than normal to make a simple turn.

AaronGTR
02-03-2006, 11:35 PM
At your year and mileage I wouldn't expect anything to be that worn on your car. It's possible the struts could be worn out, but I don't think that would cause the problem you're describing. I agree, get the power steering checked. Also get the bushings checked (suspension arms, sway bars, etc) and make sure the sway bar brackets aren't cracked or broken. Any of those could cause a "loose feeling" in the front suspension and make you have to turn the wheel further to turn because you have to take up the slack in the suspension. Can't tell much more without a much more precise description or actually looking at the car.

GrahamKracka
02-03-2006, 11:51 PM
i had a simaler problem...like everyone else said....check the power steering

jgarriso
02-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks guys I'll check all that stuff. Your help is much appreciated:angel

polo77
02-06-2006, 09:47 PM
i got a 99 gt and has 94k on it n dnt have a prob